Dump Valve mod - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #161

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Escape used plumbing strap screwed to the fiberglass to mount the 3" drain in my 21. I had to replace the gate valve, and it was a bear to do since the screw holding the strap was tough to get to.
Hi Jon I think I will use Tom's suggestion to support the other end . Do not want to drill into fiberglass for support . The original Escape strap on the 3 in is right where they installed it. I can't see where it is attached with the spray foam but it' attached . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
When I did my plumbing redo, that plumbing strap was the first to go. A pipe clamp mounted to the frame is much preferred.

And it looks like you have a really clean upgrade to your drains. Yours looks like the go by for other 19' owners to follow.
Tom, Thankyou again for the pipe clamp mount idea ! Pat
Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #163

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Waited 24 hrs and just leaked tested the valves and everything works and is dry. Dave ,Thankyou so much for your help and gift !!!
Pat: Perfect execution. Glad I could help. I never thought I would say this to someone but I hope you think of me every time you pull your waste valves!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: Perfect execution. Glad I could help. I never thought I would say this to someone but I hope you think of me every time you pull your waste valves!
Dave you made a funny ! You know what ,I believe every time we do use those valves we will be thinking of you and your gift . You have no idea what this means for us Pat
Old 04-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #165

Quote:
When I did my plumbing redo, that plumbing strap was the first to go. A pipe clamp mounted to the frame is much preferred.

And it looks like you have a really clean upgrade to your drains. Yours looks like the go by for other 19' owners to follow.
Hi Tom just finished the pipe clamp on the plumbling . It is holding real nice and tight . I found my clamp at a plumbling supplier here in town . I had to use the 2 in with a wedge . The 1 1/2 was too small . The plumbling supply store said , the 1 1/2 was too small because it is for copper pipe which is smaller then the abs in diameter . But I JB welded the Simpson bracket , after I cleaned off the paint to the frame . Gave it 24 hrs to set and gave it paint . The only thing I want to do is get some black flex paint to put extra on the foam . Because I cut it down especially at front the cut edge breaks easy now . Hope the rubberized flex paint helps .Thankyou again ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0524.jpg   IMG_0525.jpg  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #166

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Hi Tom just finished the pipe clamp on the plumbling . It is holding real nice and tight . I found my clamp at a plumbling supplier here in town . I had to use the 2 in with a wedge . The 1 1/2 was too small . The plumbling supply store said , the 1 1/2 was too small because it is for copper pipe which is smaller then the abs in diameter . But I JB welded the Simpson bracket , after I cleaned off the paint to the frame . Gave it 24 hrs to set and gave it paint . The only thing I want to do is get some black flex paint to put extra on the foam . Because I cut it down especially at front the cut edge breaks easy now . Hope the rubberized flex paint helps .Thankyou again ! Pat
That's a great job of clamping the pipe - it looks like it isn't going to flex at all!
Old 04-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #167

Quote:
That's a great job of clamping the pipe - it looks like it isn't going to flex at all!
Thankyou Tom ! Pat
Old 04-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #168

Quote:
I debated doing something to support the pipe at the conclusion of my install. I didn't because the stock pipe strap had been broken for awhile and there was no issue and my installation is stronger with the T84 mounted right to the really solid 90 degree elbow coming out of the black tank. I'll take a look at this again though since there is a lot of bouncing going down the road.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #169

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I debated doing something to support the pipe at the conclusion of my install. I didn't because the stock pipe strap had been broken for awhile and there was no issue and my installation is stronger with the T84 mounted right to the really solid 90 degree elbow coming out of the black tank. I'll take a look at this again though since there is a lot of bouncing going down the road.
Pat did a great job of mounting the pipe hanger. It looks like it is located right at where the "turn" in the piping occurs and will give the piping the most support. This piping mod is better than what Escape does for the newer 19'.

JB Weld is amazing stuff - I have a mig welder and could of welded a bracket on but using JB Weld negates the worry about heat stressing the frame member. Just make sure the bracket is where you want it before it hardens - it takes a grinder to get it back off.

You guys should do a write up on this mod and submit it as a sticky. This is a great mod for the early 19'.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #170

Quote:
Dave yes JB Weld is great product and easy to use . Just clean your surfaces, I used acetone and removed paint from frame . I waited the 24 hours as recommended before use. The one thing is right when I installed it wanted to slide down on me . I used blue tape to hold . Pat
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #171

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
Like Ron who started this thread, the biggest issue I had with our 'new to us' 2005 17B was having to reach under the trailer to get to the grey water valve. This thread gave me a plan to fix that. Parts used: 1 Valtera T60 Rotating Heel inlet valve assembly,
1 - 1.5 in Bladex valve hub - spigot

2 - 1.5 in long sweep 90° bends hub - hub,

2 - 45° bends hub - spigot
1 - 2 in 90° close hub - spigot
1 - 2 in to 1.5 in reducer
1.5 in ABS pipe

I was going to use 22.5° bends but thought it would block access to the grey water probes and not leave much of the original pipe from the grey water tank should future repairs be required.
Attached Thumbnails
Old drain.jpg   Old drain 2.jpg   New drain1.jpg   New drain2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #172

Quote:
Dave, just got home from 6 State , almost 3 week trip . And I have to tell you ,you are right !
I thought of you every time I pulled those values .
So easy and no more getting on our knees trying to reach under there .
We want to Thankyou again !

And Tom a big Thankyou for the hanger idea !

Thankyou fellows !!! Pat and Linda also appreciates you
Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #173

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Dave, just got home from 6 State , almost 3 week trip . And I have to tell you ,you are right !

I just placed a deposit for a 17B today and am wondering whether or not this issue has been addressed by ETI in all of its models. If not, perhaps I need to ask ETI to make a modification before I leave Chilliwack, as I certainly don't want to have to get down on my knees every time I have to perform this task. Perhaps you know one way or the other?

Thanks!
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post

I just placed a deposit for a 17B today and am wondering whether or not this issue has been addressed by ETI in all of its models. If not, perhaps I need to ask ETI to make a modification before I leave Chilliwack, as I certainly don't want to have to get down on my knees every time I have to perform this task. Perhaps you know one way or the other?

Thanks!
Based on these pictures of a 2017 17B you are in the clear. This user did some heat tape and insulation for winter camping. You can see that both valves are pulled outward from and toward the side of the trailer. Another item that Escape has improved over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
9E026744-FD60-461E-B7B2-D96FB6FC727C.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #175

Quote:
We want to Thankyou again !
Love it Pat. Hope you had a great trip. I’m sure you’ll pay it forward if you haven’t already.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post

Thanks!
As Dave said think you are fine with the valve ‘s . Pat
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #177

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Based on these pictures of a 2017 17B you are in the clear. This user did some heat tape and insulation for winter camping. You can see that both valves are pulled outward from and toward the side of the trailer. Another item that Escape has improved over the years.
Relieved to know that, Rubicon, and I appreciate your response! Seeing improvements made by ETI over the years helped me to decide to buy new - and the $2000 off sealed the deal.
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #178

Quote:
Love it Pat. Hope you had a great trip. I’m sure you’ll pay it forward if you haven’t already.
Thanks Dave ! Pat
Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #179

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Gentleman.
About 3 months ago, before I sold my Airstream last month I decided to crawl underneath to check the structural framing paint job after 48 years. No rust, although some red primer Was beginning to show through. Trailer has been to Alaska twice, Maine and Mexico.
After seeing the rusting of 5-10 year Escape framing it leads me to believe that many have accepted this as a norm. It is not, and concerns me.. I feel I have to completely repaint and reinforce underbody plumbing items that are not properly done. I know this trailer is revered by many and hope it will be by myself. I realized it is a trailer, not a fine crafted vessels of which I have owned several.
Thank you for showing me its weak spots, so I can take care of it before it it occurs.
I will have a trailer that I can be proud to show.
Thank you.
See you next year at the rally’s or on the road.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #180
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay group, I've been taking care of some long put off changes/maintenance to Ten Forward the last couple of days and this thread reminds me of another modification that I want to do. BUT, I've worked with PVC/ABS before and the glue is unforgiving. I think that's what's holding me back. Crooked, wrong elevation or the second part won't fit. Yes, I know to dry fit, but that glue!

So, do you think this stuff would work? Anybody used it? Supposedly there's about a 15 minute working time. Far better than seconds. Any downsides? When I do this mod, the trailer will sit for about a month before use, so the glue would definitely dry.

I'm already dreading dumping the tanks next Sunday after Spring NOG. That gray water valve is in the wrong dang place! Almost feel like I need to crawl under the trailer just to pull the handle. Sigh.

Hercules® Clear Heavy Body Slow Set Cement: https://www.oatey.com/products/hercu...ent-1509524372
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote