Easy Paper Towel Holder - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Easy Paper Towel Holder

We are definite minimalists and still won't add screws or other permanent attachments to our 2012 Escape 19. Today I used two small Command hooks, two small plastic rings from my sewing box, and an old elastic hair band to make a very simple paper towel holder. Something similar could be done with Command hooks and a bungee cord, and I saw this done on another website to make a horizontal paper towel holder.

Ours is mounted vertically, and on a painted surface (not on the fake woodgrain) so even if we remove it someday, there won't be any surface damage. Mount the upper Command hook upward and the lower Command hook downward and stretch the elastic or bungee in between. --Liz
Attached Thumbnails
20200807_131800.jpg   20200807_131335.jpg   20200807_132339.jpg   20200807_131551.jpg  
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Great idea!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hmm, do you leave it there during travel or just mount the roll while stationary? Seems like the jostling of driving over bumps could cause the bungee to slip off the hook, especially at the bottom as the towel roll puts pressure on it.

If it actually will stay in place and not come down, it looks like it would hold the roll still against the wall so it can't spin, and that would solve the problem I had with a normal paper towel holder: the roll of paper towels tended to unroll itself during travel. I finally gave up and bought a holder that just sits on the countertop, and I put it away before traveling.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can stop a roll of paper towels or TP from unravelling by squeezing it so it's an oval instead of round.

Thanks Alf.
My paper towel holder has been held up by double-sided tape for twelve years. I could add screws, but it's never been necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
paper towel holder.jpg  
Old 08-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I like it. Simple and not visually intrusive when not in use.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
Ours is mounted vertically, and on a painted surface (not on the fake woodgrain) so even if we remove it someday, there won't be any surface damage.
Just so everyone knows, removing double stick tape from the fake woodgrain surfaces can be accomplished without damage. Cigarette lighter fluid will not damage the surface. Squirt lighter fluid onto the tape and get it saturated. Then, using a plastic putty knife gently work it into the foam tape between the woodgrain surface and the object. Any residue left on the woodgrain can be rolled off using a thumb or a finger. If stubborn, add a few more drops of lighter fluid.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, do you leave it there during travel or just mount the roll while stationary? Seems like the jostling of driving over bumps could cause the bungee to slip off the hook, especially at the bottom as the towel roll puts pressure on it.

If it actually will stay in place and not come down, it looks like it would hold the roll still against the wall so it can't spin, and that would solve the problem I had with a normal paper towel holder: the roll of paper towels tended to unroll itself during travel. I finally gave up and bought a holder that just sits on the countertop, and I put it away before traveling.
This will be road-tested soon, but because the elastic is stretched, I really doubt that it will pop off the Command hook. We intend to leave the paper towels in place all the time.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I like it. Simple and not visually intrusive when not in use.
I agree. We originally shopped for a bungee but fortunately came away empty-handed, and that led to my elastic hair band solution. Probably most people wouldn't mind the bungee look, but we are happier with this.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
A small section of a discarded large plastic soda pop bottle can be cut to slide over the paper towel roll for traveling. It is only a couple of inches wide and keeps the rounded shape of the plastic bottle, even when cut lengthwise, to hold the towel from unrolling. I used the "soda Pop" term to cover both coasts.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
A small section of a discarded large plastic soda pop bottle can be cut to slide over the paper towel roll for traveling. It is only a couple of inches wide and keeps the rounded shape of the plastic bottle, even when cut lengthwise, to hold the towel from unrolling. I used the "soda Pop" term to cover both coasts.
I like that idea better than squeezing the roll into an oval. Thanks to you and Glenn both for the helpful suggestions.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #11

Here's an update after using our vertical paper towel holder on a 2-week trip. Despite some bumpy washboard roads, it worked perfectly and the paper towels never jumped off the elastic and never unrolled themselves. It was so convenient having paper towels at hand at all times.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
We are definite minimalists and still won't add screws or other permanent attachments to our 2012 Escape 19. Today I used two small Command hooks, two small plastic rings from my sewing box, and an old elastic hair band to make a very simple paper towel holder. Something similar could be done with Command hooks and a bungee cord, and I saw this done on another website to make a horizontal paper towel holder.

Ours is mounted vertically, and on a painted surface (not on the fake woodgrain) so even if we remove it someday, there won't be any surface damage. Mount the upper Command hook upward and the lower Command hook downward and stretch the elastic or bungee in between. --Liz
Neat idea, I like it.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 2020
I love these simple fixes. Thanks for posting!
campertj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
command hook, paper towel