electric bikes on the 150Lb hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 21C
electric bikes on the 150Lb hitch?

We ant electric bikes but the hitch is only rated for 150lb, can it be reinforced to hold the extra weight?
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
We take off the batteries of our ebikes. They then weigh 47 and 44 pounds. The rack (Swagman Dispatch) weighs 50 more, so we are over the weight limit by a bit. Had to move the spare to the truck to use the rack and keep tongue weight around 11-12%
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 21C
Thanks, I have not done any research on bikes yet, but will take any ideas you have. Is the spare connected to the rear bumper? I am brand new and we haven't even taken her out yet. Is the Swagaman a pretty good mount? I am not a rich guy.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, the spare tire rack is held on to the bumper with two bolts.

When I added a rear storage box I removed and relocated the spare tire to a mount under the tongue. That move results in extra weight at the rear almost being cancelled out and moves the weight in closer to the trailer body.

Before we went to folding ebikes carried in the truck cab we carried two bikes on the rear. I clamped a piece of wood under the bumper so that the bike wheels were slightly resting on the wood and held with a bungee cord. Not only spreads the load out but reduces them moving all around.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
We ant electric bikes but the hitch is only rated for 150lb, can it be reinforced to hold the extra weight?
I use the 1 up rack with a relatively heavy Rad Rover bike and a conventional mountain bike. Took the battery and seat off the electric bike and had no issues. If I decide to travel with 2 electric bikes I will relocate the spare to the roof of the Tundra. Will be slightly overweight but judging from the way everything performed on our last long trip I should be okay. Hope this helps. The bikes are bare bones no accessories.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
Thanks, I have not done any research on bikes yet, but will take any ideas you have. Is the spare connected to the rear bumper? I am brand new and we haven't even taken her out yet. Is the Swagaman a pretty good mount? I am not a rich guy.
We found the Swagman after watching Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace for a few months. It is "RV Approved" and not as heavy as our previous Thule. It still was $210 =, but almost new and half price.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
I use the 1 up rack with a relatively heavy Rad Rover bike and a conventional mountain bike. Took the battery and seat off the electric bike and had no issues. If I decide to travel with 2 electric bikes I will relocate the spare to the roof of the Tundra. Will be slightly overweight but judging from the way everything performed on our last long trip I should be okay. Hope this helps. The bikes are bare bones no accessories.
I also have a Tundra, some on here have relocated the spare tire onto the top of the fifth wheel arm, I’m not sure if the extra weight in the truck bed would become a factor.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've carried 2 ebikes weighing 100ish lbs on a 1up many 1000 miles, including a lot of rough roads without any issues ...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
There is no way I would put my Surface604 Shred a $3200 bike on a hitch. For starters it’s pretty heavy. I carry mine in the truck bed.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I carry my Surface604 Rook that is 3 lbs lighter than the Shred on the 1Up super duty double bike rack. I wish I had gotten the Shred instead of the Rook. The only issue (not problem) I have is that I have to turn the handlebars 90° so they don't hit the back window. This takes a few seconds with the 5mm allen wrench. I do lock the bike down with a 15+lb Kryptonite New York chain lock. I cover it with a bike cover and it travels just fine. I do remove the battery and put the bike back on the rack when done for the day. I don't have a pickup but if I did I think I would still carry the bike on the back of the trailer. It is easy to load and unload. I do have bicycle insurance. It is not very expensive but the bike is on the rack 5 to 7 months a year and sometimes it is left out of sight but locked with a lighter weight lock so I have insurance.

Every 10 lbs I add to the rear bumper removes 5 lbs from the tongue weight. The bike takes 34 lbs off the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210903_154713339.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote