Electric Heater Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Electric Heater Install

My first modification to my new 5.0TA was to install an electric heater, so I could use it this winter as I do my other mods, and not put a strain on the propane supply. I had planned to do it anyway. My trailer is on the drive in front of my attached garage so quite handy to my workshop.

After a lot of looking and researching for a built in electric heater install, I settled on a Myson Whispa E50 Kickspace Fan Convector.

I decided on some kind of kickspace heater due to their low profile. I did not want to put a large grate on the wall in a space I could better use for cabinet storage. I looked at offerings from many companies, basically every model out there. I settled on the Myson E50 as it had a quiet squirrel cage fan, and two heat settings. Most heaters that offer multiple heat outputs have to be rewired inside the housing to accommodate the change, or one could go to the trouble to wire in a selector switch. The Myson E50 offered dual switches right on the front of the unit for selecting either 800 or 1600 Watts.

The 5.0TA offers the perfect location for the heater, in the bottom step to the loft. I had to have Escape build it a bit wider to comfortably house the heater. The depth of the step is fine as it is. Here is a shot before I cut out the hole to install the heater in.

This is a shot of the installed heater from above. There is a grate on the rear, as well as the one on the top for return air, which comes in both sides of the front grille. You can see the two cleats front and back I put in, where I will cut and put a plywood shelf so I can still stow things above the heater. The shelf is up a bit to allow good air circulation around the heater. Instead of wiring in a line voltage thermostat, I installed an Aube 120V Relay With Built In 24V Transformer so I could use a regular low voltage thermostat.

I installed a Honeywell PRO 1000 Vertical Non-Programmable Thermostat right above the Escape installed one for the furnace and A/C. I had Escape run a pair of control wires up to it during the build.

This was an easy mod, which took about 2 hours to do. I do plan to put a piece of our vinyl flooring inside on the shelf above the heater for easy cleaning. Here is a shot of the final product. I am contemplating painting the grille black, but that will come at a later time. Too much other stuff to do for now.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Very nice Jim.
Where did you buy the heater?
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Very nice Jim.
Where did you buy the heater?
Thanks for reminding me Ian, I should have included this. It is one of the pricier ones out there, but it fit the bill. This is the only place I could find that would ship to Canada, otherwise there are a few other places that carry it. Myson is big into hydronic heaters too.

Myson E50 Electric Kickspace Heater. Myson Whispa E50 Floor Toe Kick
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like it. Think there is much chance of inadvertently kicking the switches on the front, or is that a non problem?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I like it. Think there is much chance of inadvertently kicking the switches on the front, or is that a non problem?
It is a possibility, but they could take it, and would just have to be switched back to where you wanted again. The same with the push button on/off switch. I wasn't keen on having it, but it came standard.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Looks like a great location as some heat can go into the bathroom thru the gap in the lower part of the door.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Jim,

This is great! I was wondering about the width of the step, you answered that. I'm so glad I'll have a trailer built by the folks at ETI, who are willing to do things like that. The job would have been much bigger if you had to build a wider step and run the wires yourself. With their help, it became an easy task. And such an elegant solution: out of the way, quiet, and thermostatically controlled. A great addition to a wonderful trailer.

I also love the fabric and flooring you choose. Very nice!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The job would have been much bigger if you had to build a wider step and run the wires yourself. With their help, it became an easy task. And such an elegant solution: out of the way, quiet, and thermostatically controlled.
Rich, in my mind very much worth the $50 to run the wire. It takes them minutes, but would have taken me hours, with a few cuss words thrown in. And it is a great solution. One of the few 120V items we carried and used in campgrounds with hookups was a cube heater, and this will eliminate that and be right out of the way too.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Very nice!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
$50 is a bargain! They could have gotten away with a larger charge and it still would be worthwhile.

I also have one of those come heaters. It's nice to be able to point them in any direction, but wherever to put them they always seem to be in the way.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I thought I could find material to rebuild the lower step I'd do this one. I've tried 3 different electric heaters and all have huge temp swings. If anyone knows where one can get a sheet of the wall board and some trim I'd appreciate it, without a 6000 drive.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If I thought I could find material to rebuild the lower step I'd do this one. I've tried 3 different electric heaters and all have huge temp swings. If anyone knows where one can get a sheet of the wall board and some trim I'd appreciate it, without a 6000 drive.
Do you know anyone in your neck of the woods heading to the rally in Osoyoos? Reace or someone from Escape could bring the enough panel and trims to redo the step for you. I would likely have enough left over too. Mind you, the company that supplies Escape with these products is right here in Calgary, though not certain if they sell to the public.

Home
Old 01-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
When does the Bennett Traveling Escape Mod Ltd company start?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
When does the Bennett Traveling Escape Mod Ltd company start?
I first have to figure out how to bring all the needed tools with me. Easy here in Alberta where a double tow is allowed, but not so much in BC and a lot of other provinces and states.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well, you'll just have to get this one all finished, sell it, get a 21, and tow it with a BIG truck!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, you'll just have to get this one all finished, sell it, get a 21, and tow it with a BIG truck!!
Or, I could just retire like I keep talking about!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or, I could just retire like I keep talking about!
Now THAT should move to the top of that too long To Do list!

Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My first modification to my new 5.0TA was to install an electric heater, so I could use it this winter as I do my other mods, and not put a strain on the propane supply. I had planned to do it anyway. My trailer is on the drive in front of my attached garage so quite handy to my workshop.

After a lot of looking and researching for a built in electric heater install, I settled on a Myson Whispa E50 Kickspace Fan Convector.

I decided on some kind of kickspace heater due to their low profile. I did not want to put a large grate on the wall in a space I could better use for cabinet storage. I looked at offerings from many companies, basically every model out there. I settled on the Myson E50 as it had a quiet squirrel cage fan, and two heat settings. Most heaters that offer multiple heat outputs have to be rewired inside the housing to accommodate the change, or one could go to the trouble to wire in a selector switch. The Myson E50 offered dual switches right on the front of the unit for selecting either 800 or 1600 Watts.

The 5.0TA offers the perfect location for the heater, in the bottom step to the loft. I had to have Escape build it a bit wider to comfortably house the heater. The depth of the step is fine as it is. Here is a shot before I cut out the hole to install the heater in.

This is a shot of the installed heater from above. There is a grate on the rear, as well as the one on the top for return air, which comes in both sides of the front grille. You can see the two cleats front and back I put in, where I will cut and put a plywood shelf so I can still stow things above the heater. The shelf is up a bit to allow good air circulation around the heater. Instead of wiring in a line voltage thermostat, I installed an Aube 120V Relay With Built In 24V Transformer so I could use a regular low voltage thermostat.

I installed a Honeywell PRO 1000 Vertical Non-Programmable Thermostat right above the Escape installed one for the furnace and A/C. I had Escape run a pair of control wires up to it during the build.

This was an easy mod, which took about 2 hours to do. I do plan to put a piece of our vinyl flooring inside on the shelf above the heater for easy cleaning. Here is a shot of the final product. I am contemplating painting the grille black, but that will come at a later time. Too much other stuff to do for now.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #19

I might have lied a bit on the time to install. I just realized I am not done yet, as I only did a temporary connection with the power for the heater until I figure out what circuit I would like to put it on.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #20

Trailer: Mustang 2014
Looks really nice. Congrats!
I have recently bought Marley QTS1504T electric kickspace heater. It installs under the cabinet lip and is out of side.
My drafty kitchen is a thing of the past. I also like the fact that it is unobtrusive, you really dont even know it's there!
mitpol16 is offline   Reply With Quote