Electrical Component Locations and Wiring Gauges in 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Electrical Component Locations and Wiring Gauges in 21C

Trying to design system for expected 21C and it would help to know where the converter/power center will be located by ETI. I expect to replace the power center with a different one but would like to use existing wiring if at all possible.
Also trying to find out when ETI prewires for solar, what gauge wire they use and whether they hook the two panels in series or parallel. I'm guessing parallel since they spec a PWM monitor but would like to confirm. Has anybody requested that they connect them in series instead?

I've looked in the Files section and don't find any diagrams about where the components are located in a 21C so if anybody can point me to them or provide verbal descriptions, it would be much appreciated.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Trying to design system for expected 21C and it would help to know where the converter/power center will be located by ETI. I expect to replace the power center with a different one but would like to use existing wiring if at all possible.
Also trying to find out when ETI prewires for solar, what gauge wire they use and whether they hook the two panels in series or parallel. I'm guessing parallel since they spec a PWM monitor but would like to confirm. Has anybody requested that they connect them in series instead?

I've looked in the Files section and don't find any diagrams about where the components are located in a 21C so if anybody can point me to them or provide verbal descriptions, it would be much appreciated.
The converter/power center might end up in a couple of different locations, depending on whether you get the "U" shaped dinette. I believe the converter goes under the driver's side rear seat in a standard layout, but since I have the "U" shaped dinette, mine is in the driver's side of the rear (not side) section. By the way, if you just want a better converter, you don't need to change out the entire power center. Progressive Dynamics makes a converter conversion that replaces just the lower guts of the WFCO power center. You do't need to change the WFCO breaker & fuse sections - all you need to change is the converter itself - 4-5 wires...

As to the solar panels, If you order the panels mounted by Escape, they are wired in parallel with #10 wire. On mine they used a MC4 paralleling coupling. I doubt they would wire them in series, but give them a phone call.

No idea what they would do with prewiring 2 panels if you don't have them mount them - generally prewiring just makes a #10 run from the rear of the roof to under the passenger side rear seat.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW the Configuration Guides on ETI's website show the Monitor Panel & Converter location on the page titled Standard Interior & Exterior Light Locations.

Here's the link to the 21C Configuration Guide

Note that shows the standard bench seating, if U-shaped dinette it might be different. More FWIW my configuration contact at ETI provided me a sketch with these and other component locations of interest to me specific to my build.

Have Fun!
Old 04-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Thanks alot, guys! I like the idea of replacing the guts of the powercenter with the LFP-compatible unit but I sure liked the looks of the Xantrex fully programmable converter/charger that Rubicon posted, lots of $$ though. I think you guys gave me everything I need for now, thanks much! I should have though of checking the ETI configuration page first.
Seems like the more I hear (latest being another failed solar panel),
the more convinced I get to do all the solar/electrical work on my own. The issue that Jon raised about how ETI can get a trailer across the border without an onboard battery to power the emergency brakes was not answered and would explain why people are being told "no battery" is not an option. Strange that different answers are coming out.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
The issue that Jon raised about how ETI can get a trailer across the border without an onboard battery to power the emergency brakes was not answered and would explain why people are being told "no battery" is not an option. Strange that different answers are coming out.
Personally, I would refuse to tow someone's trailer without working brakes, and as a business would definitely refuse to tow a customer's new camper. If there was an accident ETI's insurance company would have reason not to cover the loss.

Enjoy,

Perry

Tags
21c electrical, component location, converter, power center