elfa on New '21FYI - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
elfa on New '21FYI

Went to install an elfa on '21 and didn't realize the new closest is 4.5" deep. First pic shows (2017 model) with no bottom sill. Second pic (2019 model) shows the sill. I assumed the new models would be the same. If I stacked 3 (2x4) I can gain the height but add the weight. Working on solutions. Maybe elfa has extensions. FYI if buying elfa.
Attached Thumbnails
elfa1.jpg   elfa2.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I think the drawer under the closet is the solution to the bottom sill depth. All the display trailers we looked at before the rally this year had no bottom drawers and sill depths below the door. There has been no discussion on bottom drawers this year either. Bottom drawers give you both an extra drawer plus no wasted space in the bottom of your closet if you are installing shelves or basket type systems.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One issue I found with Elfa drawers in the kitchen, it seems with all the weight placed on easy moving rollers that the cabinet doors can easily be opened. I', installing double latches before next trip or locking the drawer inside to prevent movement.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I had this issue installing elfa in the wardrobe of 17A. I ziptied two 2x3 cut to fit the width and that was perfect for what i needed, put front and back. They are cut close so they wont move. I did this at the Koa lynden; if i had had screws and drill bit without doing a Home Depot trip, i would have. Intended to do it later but it’s still there zip tied. Bonus, there’s a little hidey hole for things you want to squirrel away.

Adding that I use a buckle strap across the bottom about halfway down the bottom drawer, and put another longer strap from the top rail to the bottom to secure for travel. The door has come open but the drawers didn’t move.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Finally got a few minutes to finish this (Elfa 18x21x29) . Used 3 x (2x2) screwed together to get the height. Screwed 2x2 to inside framing. Screwed Elpha to framing and support legs. Everything nice and sturdy. Put cotter pins in to hold brackets while driving. There is room under bottom basket for paper towels....FYI--Ordered the Lagun Table Mount (lagunusa.com). When ordering I specified LEFT hand release and that wasn't a problem per order.
Attached Thumbnails
elpha1.jpg   elph2.jpg   elph3.jpg   elpha4.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 19'
Nice mod. Could you post the model number for the unit you installed. I am interested in doing the same.

Thanks Ken
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One issue I found with Elfa drawers in the kitchen, it seems with all the weight placed on easy moving rollers that the cabinet doors can easily be opened. I', installing double latches before next trip or locking the drawer inside to prevent movement.
Ditto that on the pantry - we have one Elfa drawer on the bottom shelf, always filled to the brim. It comes within half an inch of the pantry door, so there's almost no play in it to roll against the door and open it on corners....or so we thought. The door came open once, and then the jolt of hitting what turned out to be a really bad speed bump too fast as we pulled into a campground sent the Elfa drawer and a plastic bin full of groceries on the upper shelf out onto the floor. I was shocked that the Elfa drawer came off the tracks - the bounce from the speed bump probably came after the cabinet door was open and the drawer fully extended.

Miraculously nothing broke - not the balsamic vinegar, not the syrup, not the molasses, not the bag of sugar. But now we have a secure bolt latch on the door to keep that from ever happening again.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry latch 1.jpg   Pantry Latch 2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19 Escape
I am also interested on the model no. of the Elfa system. I just looked this is a old post
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote