EMS Install Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
EMS Install Question

Hi All,
I own a 2014 5.0. We have owned it since new, and have had many great trips in it. Now as our use changes, we have started to add some things. Our list includes a Surge Protector.

I plan to install a hardwired EMS surge protector in a dinette style rear locker. (not the u-shape)
I want to install it in the place that makes the most sense- likely as far from the water-pump as possible.
Could some one who has either a 5.0 or 21 share with me their EMS install position?
Is it installed on the floor or mounted on a side-wall?

If someone has time, a picture would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed several in SOB's and in my Escape19 it was mounted on the plywood cover on the black tank. In the E21 is is mounted in the rear compartment on the floor. You can mount it vertically but then you can not read the error code index on the top. Otherwise, write that stuff down and mount it on the vertical dinette wall. It needs to be close to the power cord entrance, This may also be a goof time to upgrade to a removable power cord set up.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
If you watch the recent livestream recording of the 5.0 tour, at the 58 minute mark you'll see the EMS remote / display mounted on the driver side dinette bench, then they lift the seat and under the bench all the way in the back on the floor you'll see the EMS mounted on the floor just inside the exterior power cord connection. The video shows a trailer with the U-shaped dinette, in the standard dinette there may be components in that spot.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/618209545
Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have the U dinette so fwiw... The EMS is about 12" from where the power comes in the trailer on the drivers side, going forward maybe a foot from the water pump and 2 feet from the HW tank. Going towards the passenger side it's maybe a foot from the converter.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Progressive EMS Install - 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Hi All,
I own a 2014 5.0. We have owned it since new, and have had many great trips in it. Now as our use changes, we have started to add some things. Our list includes a Surge Protector.

I plan to install a hardwired EMS surge protector in a dinette style rear locker. (not the u-shape)
I want to install it in the place that makes the most sense- likely as far from the water-pump as possible.
Could some one who has either a 5.0 or 21 share with me their EMS install position?
Is it installed on the floor or mounted on a side-wall?

If someone has time, a picture would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help.
We have a 2017 5.0 TA. I initially installed our Progressive EMS just above the floor in the driver side dinette seat storage, parallel to the seat and as far to the rear and as far inboard as was practical. When I decided to add a 2 gallon thermal expansion tank (AKA accumulator) in this area I moved the EMS unit. I built a platform to raise it to just below the hinged lid of the seat, oriented parallel with the rear side of the trailer and as far inboard as was practical. We kept the factory hardwired connection cord. I have found that keeping the EMS as high, as far to the rear and as far inboard as possible keeps it out of the way of the retracted connection cord, accumulator tank, water heater, by-pass valves, etc. See four pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
20200517_120811.jpg   20200517_120647.jpg   20200517_120438.jpg   20200517_120504.jpg  
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
We have a 2017 5.0 TA. I initially installed our Progressive EMS just above the floor in the driver side dinette seat storage, parallel to the seat and as far to the rear and as far inboard as was practical. When I decided to add a 2 gallon thermal expansion tank (AKA accumulator) in this area I moved the EMS unit. I built a platform to raise it to just below the hinged lid of the seat, oriented parallel with the rear side of the trailer and as far inboard as was practical. We kept the factory hardwired connection cord. I have found that keeping the EMS as high, as far to the rear and as far inboard as possible keeps it out of the way of the retracted connection cord, accumulator tank, water heater, by-pass valves, etc. See four pictures below.
My EMS remote is located in the same palace, and when sitting in the seat on the opposite side, I am too high to see the top segment of the display. Makes 7's into 1's, etc. I finally got tired of it & added a wedge to the bottom to tilt it up. Small thing, but why not!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #7

EMS Suggestions- Yes-sssss! and Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can mount it vertically but then you can not read the error code index on the top. Otherwise, write that stuff down and mount it on the vertical dinette wall. It needs to be close to the power cord entrance,
Thanks cpaharley- good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
If you watch the recent livestream recording of the 5.0 tour, at the 58 minute mark you'll see the EMS remote / display mounted on the driver side dinette bench, then they lift the seat and under the bench all the way in the back on the floor you'll see the EMS mounted on the floor just inside the exterior power cord connection.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/618209545
Thanks David Murphy- I found and watched the segment you quoted- worthwhile seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have the U dinette so fwiw... The EMS is about 12" from where the power comes in the trailer on the drivers side, going forward maybe a foot from the water pump and 2 feet from the HW tank. Going towards the passenger side it's maybe a foot from the converter.
Padlin- Thank you for measurements- That should simplify it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
Excellent Advice, SWCO. I like the idea of mounting below the left seat rib- so it doesn't foul the power cord. Thanks for the great photo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My EMS remote is located in the same palace, and when sitting in the seat on the opposite side, I am too high to see the top segment of the display. Makes 7's into 1's, etc. I finally got tired of it & added a wedge to the bottom to tilt it up. Small thing, but why not!
Vermilye, Small changes make things user ergonomically friendly. Thanks
Old 05-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Here are two pictures from a 2019 21 with U dinette that I worked on. You can see the EMS in one shot in the rear driver’s side corner and the remote display location in the other (front edge of driver’s side bench)...
Attached Thumbnails
24CB7F27-B030-4DB9-B8E8-0B6F859EE3C2.jpeg   0FD155C3-05C1-4C2A-BDFA-892559BD0AE0.jpeg  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Here are two pictures from a 2019 21 with U dinette that I worked on. You can see the EMS in one shot in the rear driver’s side corner and the remote display location in the other (front edge of driver’s side bench)...
Thanks Rubicon- I can see the EMS location.