Escape 19 recommended alterations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Escape 19 recommended alterations

We have had our 19 out 3 times for 16 days of camping. Love it in general but would make the following changes: lower the front window 4" so you can see out, have the front wall reinforced so a support board can be added to keep the table stable, reinforce the ceiling in the middle of the trailer to add a light in the center of the aisle above the mirror, and add an outlet under the cabinet between the sink and the stove so you can plug in a coffee pot. Just little things that would make it even a better trailer.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Re: Escape 19 recommended alterations

I really appreciate your suggestions. Your desire for an electric outlet and extra light reminds me to say that I wish there were more details on the website about exactly what the standard/base camper is with no options and no modifications. For example exactly where are the electric outlets? exactly where are the lights? and what improvements are now standard equipment, such as the "real" mattress and the high-lift axle? More photos of a base camper would help, too, since we all enjoy understanding things before our personal camper is built.

Is a less-than-stable table a problem that others have had?

--Liz
Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

I'd also be interested to learn more about the table reinforcement and what you're experiencing.

Our '19 is just being built, I also find that I have a hard time fully understanding what the base model comes with - I'll try and put up a summary on my blog when I talk to reace next, maybe use the base floorplan and add in some more info via photoshop to show standard outlets etc.

More pictures would be great also
Solar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

Davidww;

We picked up our escape in april of this year, and to date have over 20,000 kms of travel with it.

Your comments hit the spot.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Doug, david can you expand on this "front wall reinforced so a support board can be added to keep the table stable"
  • what type of reinfocement
  • what exactly is the stability problem (is it torquing, is the mount bad, etc.)
Solar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Add me to the list of people annoyed with the unstable table. My mother tried to teach me to keep my elbows off the table but I guess it never sunk in. The problem lies in the low quality support columns and bases that are standard on virtually every trailer that I have seen. The columns are a pipe with the ends crimped into a cone that fits into the floor base on one end and the table base on the other. I plan to replace mine with the better quality units made by Zwaardvis that are found on boats. http://tacomarine.com/cat--Pedestals...ms--seats.html I will post the details along with part numbers, suppliers, and pictures when I do the upgrade next spring. My preliminary investigations indicate that the cost will be around $265 to upgrade both of the pedestals with bases on the table in the Escape 19.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Again. Looks like more weight.

I persuaded my table post using the side of my axe head. ( 17B front dinette ).

baglo
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Again. Looks like more weight.
An excellent point and one that I did consider. For us, I think it will be worth it. For many people, it would not be. I certainly don't fault Reace for using less expensive, lightweight components. Look what happened to Oliver who went with top quality all the way. They ended up with a heavy trailer that few could afford.

Isn't strange how quickly one goes from "Finally, I have a lightweight trailer that keeps me warm and dry!" to "Arrggh, the table wobbles, I can't live with this a moment longer!"
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #9

In our 17' Casita and 21' Big Foot the table was supported by a 1 x 2 affixed to the exterior wall. Wouldn,t think it would be too difficult for Escape to do the same. Also don't believe any of my recommendations should be considered options. They are pretty basic and this is a 30K trailer. Forgot to mention the terrible Touch Audio stereo system with garrish speakers. Would recommend having outlets installed bit selecting your own stereo and having it installed by a local RV or car stereo shop.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Back to your original post - I have the 17B and there is an GFI AC outlet next to the sink. But, a lot depends on how you camp, I guess.
We don't have a coffee maker in the trailer. We boil water on the stove and use a Melita filter and thermal carafe so I have used the outlet infrequently to plug in my computer, when we are in a full service campground ( not much point having a coffee maker if you don't have AC ). I had 12V outlets installed near the front and rear for my Sirius dock and iPod speaker dock. I have a habit of moving them around and deciding that I want them located in one place or another.

There are so many lights in the 17B already, but I have placed a battery operated light inside one of the cupboards so I can find the hot chocolate. Generally, we have only one or two of the lights turned on at any time, and that's because somebody is reading, or working in the kitchen area. Over time, I've replaced the original bulbs with LED in the places that we usually have lights turned on. You might want to look into Sylvania Spot.it battery powered lights that can be stuck up wherever you want ( like over a make-up mirror ). I don't even comb my hair when camping so it hasn't been an issue for me.

My buddy had a condiment shelf installed on the front wall above the table. That involved installing a block in the wall during construction. So, I'm sure that could be done to stabilize the table, but adds cost. It could be that all you need to do is put the table posts in with more authority.

baglo

Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

I posted a solution for the table the factory lock did not work so I used a bunk lock to lock the table while driving. I have not had leg problems. You could change to marine posts that twist lock at the base. Lighting overhead is a problem. If you look at a Scamp or Casita they have lights on the ceiling. On the roof you can see the buttons that cover the screws and rivets. I like the fact that Escape does not want anymore holes in the roof.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #12

I attempted to stabilize the table by first pounding on a 2x4 set above each leg. That helped a little. Then made 1x2 and tried to attach it to the wall under the babble using a Scotch bra d double faced tape that I have had success using on other projects. Held for a few days, then failed. Am in the process of looking for a good glue which works on wood and vinyl. Will try that in conjunction with the double faced tape(to hold the 1x2 while the glue dries). Will post the results of that aqttempt.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I don't find that the table is that unstable. It does rub too much on the vinyl on the insulation too much on one side, and I plan to move the mounts just a tad.

I have a plug on either side of the kitchen counter which pretty much covers the use anywhere on that small counter. There are many ways to make coffee that do not use an electric pot, most of which make superior coffee. I would highly recommend one of them, especially if you plan to be off the grid at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

With regard to the window height: I am short and when I sat in the 17B I too had difficulty seeing out: I asked that the bench be made taller (which also creates a bit more storage space) and voila! Reace was very accommodating to that alteration. I also had a GFI outlet put on the front below the below the stove top for that and other appliance use. That way, I can use a hair dryer in the bath ( I had the door hinges switched.) as well. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #15

Get 2 tail/turn/stop lights mounted on each side of the rear window. It is good to be seen on the highway.