Escape 5.0 TA Wheels & Tires - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is absolutely wrong, for the truck and for the tires. Your truck is available with a variety of tire sizes and types, and the truck manufacturer sets appropriate pressures for each of them (which may by coincidence be the same). If you have chosen a different size and type than any of the factory offerings, there is still an optimum pressure... and it is very unlikely to be the maximum inflation pressure (which is what is shown on the sidewall), just as it is not likely to be the maximum inflation pressure for the stock tires. "Maximum" is not the same as "correct for the application".
My Michelin tires on my 4Runner state maximum pressure as 44 PSI on the sidewall. The placard on the door jamb says 32 PSI recommended pressure. I run with the 32 PSI. The only time I would consider a little more would be the rare instance of a heavy load in the back. Another reason to not inflate above vehicle mfr recommendation is the ride is harsher as the tires aren’t able to absorb as much energy which instead gets transferred to the suspension.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I realize the manufacturer wants a better ride which is softer and less than max pressure for my truck and concede that running between those numbers and the tire max may give you a better ride. But what about the trailer, Escape's old tires were always 50 psi and the new ones are 65, what is the correct pressure with out a manufacturer's recommendation?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
what is the correct pressure with out a manufacturer's recommendation?

It depends on the load. I found a chart on-line ( which I can't locate now ). It was for a different brand than I have. So, I'd Google "tire load inflation chart" for whatever tire you are running.
Of course, you also need to weigh the trailer or take a WAG.
I run my Carlisle load range D tires at 60psi. ( Max. on the sidewall is 65psi ).
Old 10-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #44

Quote:
I realize the manufacturer wants a better ride which is softer and less than max pressure for my truck and concede that running between those numbers and the tire max may give you a better ride. But what about the trailer, Escape's old tires were always 50 psi and the new ones are 65, what is the correct pressure with out a manufacturer's recommendation?
The Canadian Transport label outside and the vehicle spec sheet in the closet should both have the recommended tire inflation pressure. This photo shows the edge of the outside one only but you get the idea. The inside photo clearly shows the tire size and pressure of 50 PSI.
Attached Thumbnails
142FD027-6FDA-4F21-8575-F7905C1FB331.jpeg   6B827E26-5428-4749-A4A3-1E95409D57CE.jpg   E61FB8BA-0803-4EA0-AEFE-FC0E30CA3B52.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Canadian Transport label outside and the vehicle spec sheet in the closet should both have the recommended tire inflation pressure.

But, that would be for the tires the trailer came with, would it not?
I've gone from Load Range C to Load Range D. Spec sheet for trailer says 50psi for original tire and new tire sidewall says max 65psi.

One thing not discussed, is that the wheel itself also has a max pressure indicated.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, that would be for the tires the trailer came with, would it not?
I've gone from Load Range C to Load Range D. Spec sheet for trailer says 50psi for original tire and new tire sidewall says max 65psi.
You would still run 50PSI unless your load dictated otherwise.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Increasing the tire's maximum inflation capacity (in the same size and type of tire) does not necessarily - and in general does not - change the optimal inflation pressure for the tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
in the Escape owners manual it tells you the recommended PSI as i remember my 2017 5.0 was not 50- but higher- 65 i think -check your owners manual . I went the recommended (Escape manual) PSI which as i remember was the same as what was on the trailer tires.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
in the Escape owners manual it tells you the recommended PSI as i remember my 2017 5.0 was not 50- but higher- 65 i think -check your owners manual . I went the recommended (Escape manual) PSI which as i remember was the same as what was on the trailer tires.
That's interesting. My post above shows a snip from the online Owner's Manual which doesn't state a specific PSI and references the Canadian Transport label. I'm just surprised they would have gone up to 65 PSI since the load rating for a load range C or D 205/75R15 run at 50 PSI is 1820# or 3,640# per pair and plenty for a dual axle trailer with a (now listed) GVWR of 5,500#. Going to a load range D in that size gets you 2150# at max 65 PSI or 4300# per pair but this is academic. The Dexter Torflex #10 axles are rated for 3500# each anyway. If you don't mind can you confirm on your outside placard or the inside spec sheet (in the wardrobe closet) what the recommended PSI stated there is?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #50

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
sure i will look at it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #51

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
To follow up here--

I did go ahead and buy new wheels and tires from RecStuff.com. They were the best deal I could find, but also they would mount and balance them.

The transaction was "OK" but a few things I wasn't thrilled about-- that said I have not complained to them yet as I am considering if it is worth it: 1) Shipping-- when I checked out it gave a delivery date. They didn't ship until that date. I got them by the time I needed them, but it was still annoying to be given incorrect information. When I called them to ask where they were/and tracking info, I was met with a pretty "Meh" life happens attitude. Just a little consideration would have been nice...

2) I ordered the bolt in valve stems . I don't know if they just don't fit, or what the deal was, but they came mounted with "high pressure brass and rubber" stems. These are more than adequate for what I need, but I d prefer the all metal ones.... Instead of calling or emailing, they just sent them along with, instead of putting them in.... Again, just tells me they really don't value my business.

3) 2 of the rims had some very small nicks on them. again not a huge deal, but wasn't super stoked...

RecStuff basically carried 2 brands of tires Karrier LoadStar, and GlobalTrax. I couldn't find a lot of information on either of them. The Karriers were a little more money, and at least I found a couple reviews online, the GlobalTrax I couldn't find anything. I was considering just getting the wheels, then getting GoodYear's locally or elsewhere, but really it came down to convenience. If I got them trough RecStuff it all showed up at once, all mounted/balanced, and ready for me to swap... When I wear these out I'll likely go to GoodYear, or hopefully I can find a major MFG who is making this size tire.

I did stay with the ST205/75R15's in D range. I put them at the recommended 50PSI. We really have just gotten the truck/trailer loaded to where we need it for "use", so the next trip out we need to get real weights. I'll adjust to actual tire chart and weights. I suspect that 50PSI though is pretty close to where they are supposed to be.

The take off's even with under 3000 miles on them have less than ˝ the tread the Karrier's have. From appearance, they seem like good quality tires. That said, I would have preferred the tread pattern on the GlobalTrax, as it appears they were more of a highway tire. I just couldn't bring myself to take the risk, and through the Karrier's were enough of a risk...

I decided not to go up in size because I really don't need the extra weight capacity and the 225's would have been too close together to comfortably get my XChocks in. Though the extra inch of height might have been welcome, as I am still a little nose high with my Andersen all the way down. I may need to raise my pin box next.

I did not replace the spare. In the end it is a spare, and no one sees it unless it is doing its job...

Yes, this is all superficial, but I definitely prefer the look. RecStuff's bill was just under $900 with shipping and the un-needed valve stems. I did get Center Caps and Lugs from them as well. I listed the take offs on FaceBook Marketplace last night, and I think I have them sold for $300. So for $600 I have what I wanted... I guess I can justify that. In the end we saved a ton by finding this rig used...

Again, thanks for all your inputs.
JLModer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... I just retired my 5.0TA with GY. Endurance tires. They were a higher loadrange and max psi so the installer aired them up to 65PSI. It turned out to be too harsh a ride for the trailer. I'm now down to 45PSI for the ride quality and the installer says thats fine for the loaded weight of the trailer. Right or wrong the trailer ride is what matters IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #53

I may have to do that also Alf, this last trip home from Mississippi Rally found a couple of cabinets open, something that had never happened before in any of my Escapes. Back down to 50-55 psi, "built for comfort, not speed" Jim......
Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #54

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
To follow up here--

Though the extra inch of height might have been welcome, as I am still a little nose high with my Andersen all the way down. I may need to raise my pin box next.

Again, thanks for all your inputs.
I recommend raising the pin box if you are nose high. I tow with a 2017 Tundra and my nose was high on the 5.0. After lowering the pin box, the middle hole on the Andersen is 1/2” high, the lower hole is a 1/2” low.

The rig handles better. Even The little bit (1 1/2”) of lowering the nose has had a positive effect on wind resistance and gas milage. The trailer is easier to maneuver in tight spaces with the load evenly distributed on the two tires. I use the middle hole setting to give myself that extra margin of clearance on the bed rails.

Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
When I wear these out I'll likely go to GoodYear, or hopefully I can find a major MFG who is making this size tire.
Goodyear is certainly a major tire manufacturer, and it is the only major manufacturer which makes ST tires. The 205/75R15 in more than a standard load rating (which is insufficient for a 3500 pound axle rating) is difficult to impossible to find in any other type of tire (other than ST), by any manufacturer, because no truck uses this size any more.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I may have to do that also Alf, this last trip home from Mississippi Rally found a couple of cabinets open, something that had never happened before in any of my Escapes. Back down to 50-55 psi, "built for comfort, not speed" Jim......
Hi: cpaharley2008... I forgot to add the Endurance trailer tire is mfg'd in the USA. One plant in the Carolinas and one in Alabama. The installer was very impressed with their substantial construction and weight. How ever they do cost more than the China made ones!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #57

Alf,
Did you get 5 new tires or just 4 with one of the old ones as a spare?