Escape Bird Cage - Front Storage Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Escape Bird Cage - Front Storage Box

Well, it's not really a bird cage right now, but it looks a bit like one. In the interests of having a winter project, I am working on an Escape front mount cargo box. Cost is not the issue with buying one, messing about is what drives this project. And thanks to all who provided info on their efforts in similar construction.

This one has a base and back of MDO 1/2" ply, an exterior, phenolic resin/kraft paper coated material used by sign painters. The top and middle frames are 1/2" marine plywood. The vertical supports are of some leftover Sitka spruce, a strong and lightweight wood, in days past, used to construct aeroplanes. The top will be of MDO, laminated with a maple veneer. The body will be sheathed in a flexible "bending plywood", a bit thicker than 1/8". Joints will be reinforced with fillets of marine epoxy and a thickener. The whole shebang will get 2 coats of clear marine epoxy, timeless sanding and numerous coats of a satin spar varnish. At least that's the plan.

Many of the materials I'm using are leftovers from some wood kayak building I did awhile ago. Might as well use them up...for something.

I'd previously built something like this years ago, with similar materials.....an auto roof top cargo box. Folks teased me that it could be my coffin. I believe I'd prefer this Escape version.

Iowa Dave may suggest that I could be buried instead in a shoe box, after a post mortem enema, and I can't, in good conscience , argue that point.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2410.JPG   IMG_2412.JPG  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Amazing what you can learn:
  • MDO (band), a Puerto Rican boy band, a spin-off from Menudo
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

MDO. Medium Density Overlay.

Nyet, not a musical group.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was reminded of the Roger Miller classic “one dying and a burying” by your post mortem morbidity. Personally I have a slightly used 105 Millimeter artillery casing around here somewhere. I figure somebody will weld a cap on it for me once my charred remains are inserted and with a post hole digger and a six pack for refreshment, it should be a fairly concise ceremony. Should sound like a dropped mortar as it wobbles to the bottom of the hole. Ka Funk. But not tomorrow, Matthew McConaughey and I are gonna go ice fishing as soon as he can get his out of state license. We’re taking his Lincoln. All right all right all right.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

Iowa Dave may suggest that I could be buried instead in a shoe box, after a post mortem enema, and I can't, in good conscience , argue that point.
And I don't have any trouble believing that's something Iowa Dave would say.

I'm sure that Myron would agree with me that the shallow angle between the front of the box and the sides is the way to go. Prevents the bumper and the box from getting too chummy when making sharp turns.

The box is going to look like a work of art. Nice work.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

Hi Glenn
Ahh yes, Greg Brown, another Iowa treasure. He has played in Iowa City numerous times and in Cedar Rapids and Ames. My daughter and son in law are fans and we hear him on Iowa public radio on the Saturday evening show with Bob DeForest every once in a while. His background as the son of a Pentecostal minister must have contributed to his style in some way.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Well, it's not really a bird cage right now, but it looks a bit like one. In the interests of having a winter project, I am working on an Escape front mount cargo box. Cost is not the issue with buying one, messing about is what drives this project. And thanks to all who provided info on their efforts in similar construction.

This one has a base and back of MDO 1/2" ply, an exterior, phenolic resin/kraft paper coated material used by sign painters. The top and middle frames are 1/2" marine plywood. The vertical supports are of some leftover Sitka spruce, a strong and lightweight wood, in days past, used to construct aeroplanes. The top will be of MDO, laminated with a maple veneer. The body will be sheathed in a flexible "bending plywood", a bit thicker than 1/8". Joints will be reinforced with fillets of marine epoxy and a thickener. The whole shebang will get 2 coats of clear marine epoxy, timeless sanding and numerous coats of a satin spar varnish. At least that's the plan.

Many of the materials I'm using are leftovers from some wood kayak building I did awhile ago. Might as well use them up...for something.
I am fascinated with the woodworking skills that some forum members have. Nice work! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Really nice work Tom I changed the title of your thread to help with future Search.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It looks truly beautiful! ...and...I can see you know about what Ron said. Very eager to see how you do the lid. Other issue is I had to redo mine because I made it sit too close to the trailer wall and travel vibrations rubbed out gelcoat.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #11

Hi Tom
Hey how about a cutting board top for cheese and salami prep with some cut out wells for beer bottles? I’ll bring the snacks for the Christening at Pikes Peak. I know you appreciate these great ideas. I’ll be coming past the Edgewood Locker on my way up so let me know your preferences.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

Dave,

What brand and size of beer bottles are you thinking? Long necks, stubbies, growlers, cans, containers with coozies?? Nothing is simple or straightforward.

I'm pretty booked up with projects at the moment, but in a pinch you can try using your Escape brand supplied cup/plate holders you still must have. Pity, I gave mine away last Fall.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape brand supplied cup/plate holders you still must have. Pity, I gave mine away last Fall.
anyone have pictures of these?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #14

Hi Mr Carpenter extraordinaire,
I was speaking mainly of the standard 12 ounce beer bottle. Though coozies are nice, I rarely need one as my beer does not get warm before I drink it. For reference see picture below. I am not sure where my adapted, adopted pot luck slurpy shot glass tray went after the Fireball incident last fall. I barely have a recollection of that event. So just keep the indents simple. Standard long neck with adjacent red solo cup shot glass shooter cutout. In addition please bring your finest woodworking tool , your 0460 Stihl powersaw along in case there are still stumps in the campground that need architectural improvement. The third photo is entitled
“So many nice things, so little time”
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
C6BB4B67-6F5F-4202-9317-E3BFB00A966B.jpg   487BB230-FC4F-45CF-A05B-38376955EB70.jpg   9B6A6349-BBB5-4EF8-9094-B6BB1411F843.jpg  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #15

"Hi Mr Carpenter"
au contraire!!!
I am an ARTIST!!!!, and not a mere craftsman.

For shame!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #16

I’m Sorry

Quote:
"Hi Mr Carpenter"
au contraire!!!
I am an ARTIST!!!!, and not a mere craftsman.

For shame!
I’m so sorry for confusing your vocation as an artist with that of a mere carpenter. Your haute couture as you stood in rapt amazement on the free tarp last September should have been enough to tip me off. Sorry for the inattention.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #17

Work progresses on the gear box

Attached are some sequence images of the front trailer box I'm building this long, cold winter. Following assembly, all rib and frame joints were filleted with a thickened epoxy, coated 3 sides with clear epoxy, sanded and varnished. This week was sheathing with the bending plywood skin. Call me Jeb Clamp-it, with the first image. 2nd image is bottom gluing & clamping and last is glued up box with unfinished lid in place. I'll epoxy coat the interior, exterior, sand and varnish. The lid, of MDO plywood will get edge banding and lamination with a maple veneer. Lots of sanding and varnishing and hardware attachment, but it's getting there. I hope to have it done in a month and installed for a planned trip South. Interesting construction project as a diversion from the tyranny of the right angle box.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2421 (Copy).JPG   IMG_2428.JPG   IMG_2431.JPG  
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Looking good, Tom!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Attached are some sequence images of the front trailer box I'm building this long, cold winter. Following assembly, all rib and frame joints were filleted with a thickened epoxy, coated 3 sides with clear epoxy, sanded and varnished. This week was sheathing with the bending plywood skin. Call me Jeb Clamp-it, with the first image. 2nd image is bottom gluing & clamping and last is glued up box with unfinished lid in place. I'll epoxy coat the interior, exterior, sand and varnish. The lid, of MDO plywood will get edge banding and lamination with a maple veneer. Lots of sanding and varnishing and hardware attachment, but it's getting there. I hope to have it done in a month and installed for a planned trip South. Interesting construction project as a diversion from the tyranny of the right angle box.
Very very nice ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've seen it, it's a work of art. And I thought I had a lot of clamps until I saw Tom's collection.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote