Escape table: I need to stay focused - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #61
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Thanks, Pat - but then a couple of years later I decided to just shorten the tabletop 7 inches and get rid of the whole slide concept. Have a separate 7 inch wide filler board to make up the space when putting the table down for the grandkids. 1 inch butcher block maple.
Attached Thumbnails
table done.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Thanks, Pat - but then a couple of years later I decided to just shorten the tabletop 7 inches and get rid of the whole slide concept. Have a separate 7 inch wide filler board to make up the space when putting the table down for the grandkids. 1 inch butcher block maple.
Nice looking table top Charley ! We also cut down one side of table about 10 in . Easier to get in and out . Still would like to improve the plastic slides because we still need ,even though we have the Springfield pedestal more room to get in and out . Actually next to the shower wall , Linda needs more access and she isn’t very big . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm pretty flexible on some things but the factory set-up took me all of 10 secs. in the factory demo to say "never".

Not only do I hate the quality of the posts and sockets but I also hate the table rocking if you put any weight on one edge or the other. While I'm hating thinigs, I also don't want two posts cluttering up my foot space.

So on my 19 I made a custom pedestal that was solid but lightweight. The rear mount was against the front panel and the rear part was near the rear edge of the table top. That left the whole central area under the table free and clear for feet.

It depends what your "mere occaision" means. To me it was, if it ever happened that I had to use the table as a bed I could undo a few screws and make it into a temporary bed.

The reverse is now true for me. I like the Springfield and had one previously in my boat. It's unlikely that I will ever need to use it as a bed but I like it because it's much better than the twin posts and leaves more floor room.

If "mere" means highly unlikely and you don't want to spring for a Springfield then I'd just fabricate your own using things like commercial boat seat bases etc. Worst case scenerio; you have to undo some screws to make the table into a bed.

Ron
Ron in BC I am wondering about the flooring when removing the dual original pedestal? Our 21C has the standard table and at the moment the plastic original rails are not in good shape. I'm trying to sort out if we should just replace the rails or also replace the pedestal. Don't much like the idea of markings all over the floor ... and is the springfield pedestal much more stable than the 2 posts? Also don't like the rocking with elbows on the table.
Jelly Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #64

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Yes the Springfield is more sturdy, not perfect, but better by a long shot. Home Depot, and I imagine other places that sell flooring, sell vinyl floor repair kits. I used one on mine and only the person that made the repairs will see it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CalFlor-...06CF/207197942
Old 08-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Ron in BC I am wondering about the flooring when removing the dual original pedestal? Our 21C has the standard table and at the moment the plastic original rails are not in good shape. I'm trying to sort out if we should just replace the rails or also replace the pedestal. Don't much like the idea of markings all over the floor ... and is the springfield pedestal much more stable than the 2 posts? Also don't like the rocking with elbows on the table.
the springfield is pretty stable, but too much weight on the extreme of the table when its at an extreme on the slider can cause that side to 'sag', I really tightened down hard on the adjuster nuts on the pedestal clamps and that greatly reduced it.. there's *zero* easy rocking, unlike the stock setup.

I removed the two post bases, and used one of the screw holes for the springfield's large base, drilling new holes for the others, and used fat 1" stainless wood screws, the exposed few screw holes from the rear post that aren't covered by the springfield base, I 'injected' with some silicone sealant and really don't notice them unless I'm down on my knees staring straight at them.

I used the dicor 2-way slider, that required some adaptation, I installed the rails as close to the outer edge of the table as I felt comfortable with, so they table can be slid all the way back within an inch or two of the rear seat cushiosn (I have the U shaped dinette in my classic 21). this works great.

I needed to add a 1.5" thick wood risers between the top of the springfield and under the dicor, this brings the table to the same height as the stock table and has just enough travel for the table to work as a bed for those occasional sleepover guests (used exactly once for an adult child..)

I posted a build thread here before with photos, I'm on my laptop camping on poor wifi so I'm not going to try and search for it myself.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
You're correct, removing the two factory bases will leave the screw holes visible. My experience with these sorts of things is that they're really visible the first day you remove the bases, less so the next day and after that, holes what holes? A compromise is a little beige or whatever matching caulk is needed to fill the holes.

Some folks complain that the Springfield stills rocks. But that can be adjusted by the locking clamps that are released to lower or raise the table. No biggie.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote