ETI Factory Modifications - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Minor life setbacks, but still trying...
ETI Factory Modifications

I’m looking for modifications that new owners had ETI factory install or leave off during their trailer build. These would be modifications not on the build sheet, things like additional wiring for cameras or lights. Lithium battery install and charge controllers, adding a cabinet, moving a drawer. Stuff you must call ETI and explain the mod and get an approval.

Having no experience ordering a new trailer I’m sure there are hundreds of cool modifications that I would never even think to add.

I tried doing a search for modifications installed by ETI and came up with hundreds of threads. Far to many to weed through. This is not model specific, all modifications are welcome, just limit it to mods that ETI agreed to.

Thank-You all in advance for making my life easier….

Jeff
Susi & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Model 19

I asked ETI not to install the doors under the bed as I was going to make them into drawers. Also to not install the handle on the door under the fridge as it need to be located to the door panel and not the frame. All the parts came wrapped in a package on the bed.
All this to allow my under bed bins to slide out.
You can see a picture in the link below and more of the bin install in posts 14, 52, 177, and 287.

I also asked them not to install the power cord through the trailer as I was going to install a hatch in that area and the location might interfere.

Good luck on your order.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post269213

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I had to get called a Forum addict by Susan to parse through previous threads and contacting other members to get our build sheet done. Was worth it.

Maybe the New ETI will be more helpful in disclosing the cool mods previous owners have opted for they are still willing to do.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
All the mods are out there, Jeff. If you really want the run down then you’re going to have to sift through the threads. At best you’ll only get a light smattering here. Try searching for “off the menu” items.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don’t think you can completely short circuit this one. There are a few threads I listed that should help but bear in mind that the ETI of today is not like it was with Reace inside each trailer tinkering. While some things won’t be done any longer other items requested time and time again have become standard (i.e. LED lights, flush mount cooktop) or a published option (i.e. Springfield table pedestal). Don’t lose sight of the fact that a stock Escape with a reasonable number of options to fit your needs will be a mighty fine trailer. Many of the mods I’ve done to our 2010 are stock or an option now. Many of the off build sheet options are something unique that a particular owner knew they wanted from their experience. They may have learned from previous fiberglass trailers and for some this has been multiple Escapes.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ons-10592.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...list-4384.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...rder-9075.html
Old 01-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have to just ask the factory and if the answer is no, ask why. Otherwise that list would change over time with supplier changes as well as owners, both at the factory and at the trailer level.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
my list:
do not install exterior grab bar until orientation (I'm short)
do not install hang bar in wardrobe (I was adding my own shelves)
add several 12v/usb and 120 v outlets
prewire zamp solar port
add exterior access hatch ds/front and ps/rear (in 17A)
convert permanent bed to dinette
reinforce entry wall (refrigerator side)
put a cabinet door (like in a 19) in ps/front bench
delete ESCAPE lettering on rock guard (it shows through)

all but the first two and the last were at a fee
Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi & Jeff View Post
......... Lithium battery install and charge controllers........... Stuff you must call ETI and explain the mod and get an approval.

Jeff
I tried to talk ETI into doing a battery upgrade and was told it was not permitted and I didn't push the issue. I don't know if lithium batteries would require a different controller. If not, you may be able to have them leave off the batteries and install your own after you pick up your trailer.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The new GoPower controller that Escape uses does now have a lithium setting, but dealing with going back & fourth between 6V batteries in series & 12V batteries in parallel is asking for wiring mistakes. I don't blame them for preferring not to get into lithium, although I love having them.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The new GoPower controller that Escape uses does now have a lithium setting, but dealing with going back & fourth between 6V batteries in series & 12V batteries in parallel is asking for wiring mistakes. I don't blame them for preferring not to get into lithium, although I love having them.
Jon: What about the stock WFCO converter/charger? Does that work with lithium? I ask because my Progressive Dynamics PD4655LMBA WildKat main board replacement has a jumper for lithium. This seems to tell me the charging profile is different.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I got a bunch of things not on the initial build sheet as options for my 2019 5.0, including:

Jack antenna WITH 2 solar panels;
Full mattress, not queen;
Interior doors into DS & PS dinette base;
Exterior door into PS dinette seat base;
Exterior door into entry cabinet (under drawer);
Exterior cord hatches near propane for external tank or appliance;
Wider bottom step;
Flat-back entry boxes in front & rear exterior walls that contain thru-the-wall type connectors. Two install fees and I have 10 connectors for various items;
Several 12 volt drops, some with connector/fixture, some without;
120 volt line (not connected) from power center location to under loft steps for future;
Non-install of displays/controls in dinette seat base (I moved them to above the fridge);
Speakers wired but no radio;
My own rims & tires;
Custom everything (flooring, fabric, counter, cooktop, sink, faucets);
Flat-4 lighting connector near receiver;
Lithium battery (only 1 due to series/parallel connection concerns; I did the others).

The production process has a time limit at each work station so the amount of off-the-wall customizations is limited. I proposed a whole bunch of customizations or replacement items that were not approved so I went thru a lot of possibilities (cooktop for example) and I'm now in the process of doing a lot of aftermarket mods to get the final product I want.

So far I've run additional 12v & 120v lines, replaced the inverter (to 2000 watts), added a 300 watt inverter, replaced the solar controller (60 amp mppt), replaced the power center/converter (lithium 60 amp charger, split buss (built in sub panel)). I've replaced the single breakers in the subpanel with doubles so less chance of blowing a breaker.

I'll be replacing the transfer switch with one that switches the neutral in addition to the hot (my inverter has gfi problems). My new split-buss power center is 50 amp compatable (but not 240 volt) so I'll be replacing the EMS & power cord for additional kitchen power when on shore power.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Each model has unique modifications depending on the end users needs. Once you get an idea of which model then specific modifications can be figured out. Like an idea for a laundry place using seldom used storage in the 5.0.

Another idea is to find some Escapes near you or somewhere you will be that has both factory mods as well as personal mods. I have done quite a few mods to mine since purchase. Things like modifying storage, installing lights in dark cabinets, Lagun table, raised platform in dinette (now standard), solar port for portable solar panel, padded flooring (love this!), and other mods I am forgetting. The point is go see some Escapes. There are many of us willing to show off our campers. I am less than a 4 hour drive away from you.
Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jon: What about the stock WFCO converter/charger? Does that work with lithium? I ask because my Progressive Dynamics PD4655LMBA WildKat main board replacement has a jumper for lithium. This seems to tell me the charging profile is different.
Specification wise, yes, but in actuality, it is very difficult to get the WFCO converter to go into bulk mode. You need 14.4 - 14.6V to fully charge lithium batteries. I'd switch to the PD lower unit (and make sure the jumper is set on lithium).