Exit Handle-21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 06:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Exit Handle-21C

My wife suffered a TBI 3/19/21. We have a 2019, 21C. I have installed grab bars throughout the trailer. I would like to install a grab bar or handle to assist her in exiting the trailer. Does anyone know how thick the wood is under the padded portion just to the right of the door (just above the counter)? I believe there are wires behind it and I don’t want screws to pierce the wires. Any other ideas?
-Thanks
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
We have a 19 and I installed a grab handle in that location. It's the same handle used on the outside. Escape was going to install it when we picked up but I didn't know then how high I wanted it so they gave me the handle and a couple of screws and I put it on after we used the trailer for a while and figured out where it would be most helpful.

The only instruction/guidance they gave was to mount it close to the door and to not place it too far to the right. They put a piece of tape to mark the maximum distance away from the door frame I could go but I can't quite remember exactly how far that was (about 1 1/2", I think) but plenty of room for the handle to sit securely. They didn't caution me about any wires being in that general location. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo and the trailer is in storage.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have seen suction handles on the exterior fiberglass for assist reasons.....
Old 05-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Build photo

Below is a recent build photo of a 21C. It clearly shows the structural framing of the door with the exterior handle installed. It suggest that an interior handle installed on the same member would be sound. On my 5.0 the wiring for the outside light was installed just to the rear side of that framing. Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	62591
Old 05-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 21
The suction cup one work great we have one for the extra/exit due to she has meniere’s. Works fantastic n don’t have to worry about hitting the wood by the door
Old 05-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpug View Post
... Does anyone know how thick the wood is under the padded portion just to the right of the door (just above the counter)? I believe there are wires behind it and I don’t want screws to pierce the wires. ...
It sounds like your interest is an interior grab-bar but this post with info and pics might still be of interest: my Entry Door Grab Handle mod

Though a 2021 5.0 I suspect the framing details around the door are similar to yours (yes, I found wires).

I suggest that the technique I describe in that post to gain a 'porthole' for viewing the framing adjacent to the door (holesaw only through the interior plywood layer after laying-back the wall covering) would be invaluable in your case. Note that can be done without leaving any visible indication upon replacing the interior trim and wall covering.

You may find it helpful to fill sections of the 'framing gap' I exposed with a tightly-fitted and glued-in piece of wood to provide purchase for screws depending on your preferred grab-bar mounting base and fastener spacing.

Another approach might be installing matching and aligned grab-bars on both the interior and exterior, using long bolts with nuts through the mounting base of both to 'sandwich' the trailer wall between.

All just for your consideration, hope that helps. Good luck and have fun with your mod, there's certainly ways to meet your needs without too much hassle and no damage to your trailer
Old 05-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Centex- Thank you for your post. While I didn’t open up the door frame like you showed me how, it gave me the confidence to “no guts, no glory “ just screw in the grab bar. If I did damage a wire, I could repair it. The grab bar is solid and everything electrically works as it should.
Last year was almost a year ICU hospital. No “Escaping” for us!! Hopefully this year let’s us have some semblance of normalcy again.
Thanks again!!
Mike & Claudia
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpug View Post
... The grab bar is solid and everything electrically works as it should. ...
That's great!

I hope y'all are able to enjoy your Escape this year and many more to come.