Exterior Access Door for 17B' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Exterior Access Door for 17B'

Tammy needs all of our decisions this week -- (the pressure is on!) We are planning on the Exterior Access Door in the passenger side rear, but Tammy said we could also have it on the driver's side front if we prefer. Having never been in a 17'B or seen one - what is the best location for the access door?

Thanks for any and all advice!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Exterior Access Door for 17B'

I wish I could help.

I had an exterior hatch installed in the passenger side front. That's where I kept chunks of 2 x 6, axe, maul, jack etc. Very handy to have access from outside. Then I added the cargo carrier and box to the rear bumper and put all that stuff, and hoses, power cords etc in it. That got me concerned about un-weighting the hitch so I tried to put heavy stuff in the front compartment to offset the weight. Trouble is, I don't need access to that stuff from outside and some is too big to fit through the hatch. So, I'm still trying to work out what goes where.

Given all that, I'd have a large hatch for the rear compartment. That way I could access the rear compartment without having to re-make the bed.

Another consideration is if you get the new combo fiberglass propane cover / storage compartment ( when it becomes available ) do you really need another hatch at the front? I'm guessing that you would access yours from the side of the trailer. My hatch is at the front and I probably won't be able to use it when I get the propane cover / storage combo.

baglo
Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Baglo,

Thanks for the input. We have it now penciled in for the rear. We will leave the bed made up in the back like we did with our Scamp side dinette. That way we would have access to the storage space under the bed without lifting off the mattress like we always had to do with our Scamp

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

I had the access hatch also installed on the rear passenger side, for the same reason of leaving the bed untouched during the day. I have to experience yet how I like it....
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
ashleymeadow

We have the 17B and have the hatch on the rear passenger's side. Having it on the driver's side doesn't work to well because of all of the permanent stuff stored there. I would not want my jack handle bouncing up into the electrical panel.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

All interesting observations so far. To add to the mix is a question of leaking. Is there more potential for a leak while driving in lots of rain. I have not seen the issue on units I have had in the past but . . .

I am having one installed on the driver side front dinette of my 19. However my Escape is going on the same delivery truck as Gerda's and I have to wait to try it out.

If I was able to see and gauge the space in the new front tongue storage I might have opted out of the extra hatch I ordered.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I am going to go with the rear passenger side one as we currently have on the order. Now to decide on the graphics color.......

Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

FUN!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I had two front hatches and the rear passenger hatch placed in the "Suite Escape". I am very happy that I did because I now keep the front dinette made into a bed, which was not contemplated initially. Further, it appears that if the propane tanks were side by side, opening room would still be adequate. (IMHO)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Talked about the propane cover / storage box with Reace a week ago. A prototype was in the shop so we didn't get to see it, but I gather that the unit will be right up against the front of the trailer, since they sent the front wall of a trailer to ensure clearance.

baglo
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Just one more feature of the Escape 5.0 are the three access covers in the front of the trailer, and one of them that covers the propane bottles!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
say aaah.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote