External Shower Leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
External Shower Leak

Hi Everyone,

We are getting ramped up about our first camping trip. We will be hanging out with Jim and Noelia Norman at French Creek Campground next week for a few days.

In the meantime, while de-winterizing the trailer I discovered I have a leak in the driver’s side external shower compartment . Water dribbles out from under the hot faucet wheel handle when either the hot or cold-water wheel handles are opened. The water pump is turned on.

I removed the mattress to inspect the flexible water supply lines which thread into the back of the shower compartment. The leak is relegated to external shower compartment outside.

I installed an accumulator sometime last year. I noted that it is now cutting in about once every 5 minutes which I'm attributing to the leak.

I removed the hot water valve stem. It is a cheap plastic thing. I replaced the valve seat rubber gasket. The original one looked fine but I had to start somewhere… I inspected the O ring and decided not to replace it. I reinstalled the valve stem. Water continued to leak out below the hot water wheel knob.

I removed the cold-water valve stem and replaced the valve seat rubber gasket. This did not solve the problem either. Plumbing generally speaking is not complicated but this deal has me scratching my head.

I'm guessing that one or both of the cartridges are defective. Just a guess... What does the community suggest? Is there a decent alternative replacement part to this cheap valve stem cartridge? Or, am I missing something in diagnosing this leak?

As an aside, I have not filled the hot water tank yet. The cold and hot water petcocks are still in the shut off mode.

It's not the end of the world. We can still go camping. But at some point I'd like to fix the leak. That and the still unfixed issue of the gray water tank.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 Foot Escape
Can I ask how you take the handles off to get at rubber o rings. I have same problem it’s leaking right behind handle. I have a 19 foot Escape. Victoria BC thanks
TylerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH View Post
Can I ask how you take the handles off to get at rubber o rings. I have same problem it’s leaking right behind handle. I have a 19 foot Escape. Victoria BC thanks
I think I can help. This problem drove me to distraction. When I contacted the Escape Company tech support 'help line', the response was that I didn't know how to winterize my trailer. And that was the cause of the leak. Wrong response.

This issue had me stumped since the leak does appear like the source is the cold (right) side faucet. It's not. I have separate gasket and O-ring kits. I replaced the O-rings. The leak persisted. I even removed the mattress and inspected the water lines. If I hadn't winterized the trailer properly, did I cause one of the lines to split? No. Much to my relief there was no evidence of water.

It took some time but I finally figured out that the problem was with the Quick Connect valve. It was installed at the Escape facility without a rubber washer. That's why it leaked. Not because I didn't know how to winterize the trailer. I left a phone message with Escape tech support about my discovery but I never heard back. Installing a rubber washer stopped the leak.

You probably know what to do next, but here is a breakdown anyway.

1) To begin the replacement of the Quick-Connect, turn off the water to the RV and release the pressure. This includes turning off the water pump,
disconnecting the RV from any water source, and closing the valves. To relieve the pressure, you'll probably need to plug in the Spray-Away hose to the Quick-Connect and open the faucet by turning both the hot and cold faucets to the “flow” position.
2) Unscrew the existing Quick Connect with a 15/16th or 1” deep well socket. A pair of pliers will also work.
3) Be sure to seat the black rubber washer into the Quick-Connect. It should be flush with the top of inside of the quick connect to ensure that the Quick-Connect is properly sealed against the male threaded connection of the Spray-Away Faucet.
4) Screw the new Quick-Connect WITH THE WASHER IN PLACE onto the faucet
making sure to tighten down to prevent any leaks. “Hand tighten” the Quick Connect to the male part of the Spray-Away Faucet with a wrench or socket.
5) Turn on the water and check for any leaks. If there is a leak or no pressure, repeat the above steps to ensure the washer is flush in the Quick-Connect.

If you just want to go ahead and buy a new Quick-Connect, here is one source.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I think I can help. This problem drove me to distraction. When I contacted the Escape Company tech support 'help line', the response was that I didn't know how to winterize my trailer. And that was the cause of the leak. Wrong response.

This issue had me stumped since the leak does appear like the source is the cold (right) side faucet. It's not. I have separate gasket and O-ring kits. I replaced the O-rings. The leak persisted. I even removed the mattress and inspected the water lines. If I hadn't winterized the trailer properly, did I cause one of the lines to split? No. Much to my relief there was no evidence of water.

It took some time but I finally figured out that the problem was with the Quick Connect valve. It was installed at the Escape facility without a rubber washer. That's why it leaked. Not because I didn't know how to winterize the trailer. I left a phone message with Escape tech support about my discovery but I never heard back. Installing a rubber washer stopped the leak.

You probably know what to do next, but here is a breakdown anyway.

1) To begin the replacement of the Quick-Connect, turn of the water to the RV and release the pressure. This includes turning off the water pump,
disconnecting the RV from any water source, and closing the valves. To relieve the pressure, you'll probably need to plug in the Spray-Away hose to the Quick-Connect and open the faucet by turning both the hot and cold faucets to the “flow” position.
2) Unscrew the existing Quick Connect with a 15/16th or 1” deep well socket. A pair of pliers will also work.
3) Be sure to seat the black rubber washer into the Quick-Connect. It should be flush with the top of inside of the quick connect to ensure that the Quick-Connect is properly sealed against the male threaded connection of the Spray-Away Faucet.
4) Screw the new Quick-Connect WITH THE WASHER IN PLACE onto the faucet
making sure to tighten down to prevent any leaks. “Hand tighten” the Quick Connect to the male part of the Spray-Away Faucet with a wrench or socket.
5) Turn on the water and check for any leaks. If there is a leak or no pressure, repeat the above steps to ensure the washer is flush in the Quick-Connect.

If you just want to go ahead and buy a new Quick-Connect, here is one source.
Did you let the know it alls at ETI what they did wrong
Old 04-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
I left message with this guy named Dustin. Never heard back.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Quote:
I left message with this guy named Dustin. Never heard back.
Guys with all due respect wouldn't this outside shower be installed as an assembly by ETI? I have bought several of these showers aftermarket and the quick connect fitting is already installed. I think it is more likely that it was a mistake by D&W who makes the unit.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Guys with all due respect wouldn't this outside shower be installed as an assembly by ETI? I have bought several of these showers aftermarket and the quick connect fitting is already installed. I think it is more likely that it was a mistake by D&W who makes the unit.
With all due respect, I reached out to tech support about this problem. They (Dustin) came up with the explanation that I was at fault for the leak -- that I had not properly winterized the trailer. He could have suggested that I remove the quick connect fitting in order to see if the gasket was missing or not seated correctly.

I feel good about the fact that I figured out what the problem was. I don't feel good about how Escape handled the situation.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
With all due respect, I reached out to tech support about this problem. They (Dustin) came up with the explanation that I was at fault for the leak -- that I had not properly winterized the trailer. He could have suggested that I remove the quick connect fitting in order to see if the gasket was missing or not seated correctly.

I feel good about the fact that I figured out what the problem was. I don't feel good about how Escape handled the situation.
I agree that Escape could have handled it much better and certainly not blamed you for improper winterizing. I was just pointing out that the gasket was likely missed at D&W's factory not installed improperly by Escape. Bottom line I'm glad you got it figured out. Another issue solved by a determined Escape owner for us all to learn from.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I agree that Escape could have handled it much better and certainly not blamed you for improper winterizing. I was just pointing out that the gasket was likely missed at D&W's factory not installed improperly by Escape. Bottom line I'm glad you got it figured out. Another issue solved by a determined Escape owner for us all to learn from.
Yes. These outside showers are sold as kits. You can buy one for @$26 from Amazon.

So we are in agreement on the two aspects of this problem.