Extra bed, now sleeps 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Extra bed, now sleeps 5

My kids are getting bigger so keeping them all in the dinette isn't going to work. For the times where a tent outside (with me and the kids in it) doesn't work I thought of putting a cot in the "hallway". Most of them are too big so the hallway couldnt be used. After much measuring and far too much thought, I realized the dinette back padding would fit the hallway and that the kids soccer bench could hold it off the ground. It's not for everyone but I'm a side sleeper and normally am fine with a sliver of a bed, so the 18" width doesn't overly bother me. Now everyone can sleep in comfort while dad, though not being as comfortable, can sleep satisfied that his family are enjoying their beds... which means they'll want to take the trailer out again
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20230317_144836.jpg   IMG_20230317_144909a.jpg  
HereAndThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Makes perfect sense to me. As a municipal parks employee for 32 plus years I learned to sleep on a 1 X10 (9 1/4 wide) picnic table seat on my side turned slightly inward so my shoulder and rear end would hold me from falling inward under the table. I considered it a masterful achievement. That is not to say that there have been occasions where I imbibed to the degree of being “under the table” a few times in my life. But I’m proud to say never on the job!
Have a great camping season with the kids, they will not forget it.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
9 1/4, and I'm guessing no padding, that is some trick. I remember as a kid sleeping on the wood bunks of those "tall ships" in the bay area on a field trip.... Even as a kid sleeping on bare wood boards was no fun. Sleeping under the stars (willingly) does somehow make things softer so maybe that helped?
HereAndThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That is some very clever problem solving, there! Good for you. Only one extra piece of equipment that can be stored outside, in tow vehicle, under dinette in back. If you pull the bench an inch or two away from the wall when you're ready to retire, you'll have a bit of extra room and you're unlikely to fall into the gap. And folks can still get to the bathroom in the night. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereAndThere View Post
9 1/4, and I'm guessing no padding, that is some trick. I remember as a kid sleeping on the wood bunks of those "tall ships" in the bay area on a field trip.... Even as a kid sleeping on bare wood boards was no fun. Sleeping under the stars (willingly) does somehow make things softer so maybe that helped?
I never thought about sleeping on a table board bench seat till I saw homeless people in the City Square Park (Bayliss Park) in Council Bluffs, Iowa do it. A space blanket for cover ans
an empty bottle of Boones Farm nearby and they were apparently set for the night. Didn’t have camps back then, just transient individuals. I only ever saw one remnant hobo jungle that my dad pointed out to me when I was a kid. I met a few of the old time gentlemen of the road on there way to Britt Iowa for the Hobo convention years ago when I worked in the filling station along US Highway 30 as a teenager.

Another strange sleeping setup we experienced was when we took the Scout troop on a high adventure and slept in the baskets hung on chains on the battleship Alabama in Mobile Bay had our sleeping bags as liners on that setup though. Sleeping under a tarp, strung from trees and my motorcycle was literally pretty cool at about 7,000 feet in early June in Montana. I was younger then.
Here’s an old one with some good pedal steel work

https://www.google.com/search?q=jimm...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Iowa Dave
Old 03-30-2023, 07:16 PM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Brilliant solution! Thanks for posting. Sometimes we look to sleep more in our rig and your configuration made me think of a similar but slightly different arrangement, that could work for us??

Perhaps, I could take the R and L back seat cushions, place them on the floor, up against the raised floor section, right under the fridge and cabinet area with some protective plastic sheet under them to keep them clean. Then take the long back seat cushion, like you did and place that section on top of the cushions but push it all the way back under the table. The raised floor and the cushions aren't exactly level but it might be close enough? The person on the floor would have their legs under the table area but it might open up more space in the hallway by the end of the bed?? Hummm

This would really only be when inclement weather drives those who are tenting with us into drier beds at night. Thanks for the idea and Kudos on your excellent set up! Anything that gets the family out camping more is great!! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
When I had my TINY aframe and two granddaughters came with me, one slept on the flat floor on a thermarest with her legs under the bed. The only available space for stepping was the square just inside the door. Fond memories!!