Extra solar or TV Antenna - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpallen View Post
I supplied eti with agm battery’s with my 5.0 TA. Used them for 2 months with the stock panel and never when below 70% I watched tv every night , ran my maxx fan liberally and never had a issue with power.
Good to know, Grant! Thanks for the report

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
We have the single 160 watt solar panel on our 2017 19'. We love it and find it's plenty for us. We never run out of battery (we have the dual 6 volts) and I had it parked for 14 days at a music festival I help with and it never got below 70% battery even parked in somewhat shade. We have the Jack TV antenna and the TV ready stuff and find it works great. Very few sites have cable TV and we're able to pick up 10-15 channels many times and if not we read our kindles. You can use TV Fool to look at what channels are available if you know the address or zip of the place you're staying.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Our Escape has a single 170 watt solar panel in back, and can glue a 160 watt flexible antenna, where the Jack antenna would have been, if we ever feel we need more solar. ...
I know a LOT of people who installed flexible solar panels on various things and had them fail within a few months of use. they just don't survive well, internal circuit trace cracks and the panel goes open circuit and becomes useless, and you get to scrape off whatever adhesive you used to install it....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #24

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I know a LOT of people who installed flexible solar panels on various things and had them fail within a few months of use. they just don't survive well, internal circuit trace cracks and the panel goes open circuit and becomes useless, and you get to scrape off whatever adhesive you used to install it....
I hope Jim doesn't read this!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I hope Jim doesn't read this!

Enjoy,

Perry
I also installed the same panels as Jim and have been very happy now for 7-8 mo . These are not the same flexible panels . They are 1/4 in thick with a fiberglass back . They are called semi-flexible panels . They are not as flexible as others on the market . Love when I get up to our roof and they hose off real easy . They are not made with Pet plastic . The surface is hard .Wouldn't hesitate to purchase again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I have 5 years on one set of 100W semi flexible panels mounted with 3m high bond tape.
They are still fully functional, even with the hail damage you can see. They are PET surface, old technology.

The last one I bought was a 100W Lensun, currently the best I could find, with the harder surface.
If I had to replace at a 10 year point I still would be happy, either I wanted to replace the panel or the trailer, and the technology would be better yet by then.
Never had an issue with panels coming loose, or losing output due to overtemping.

The link has specs and differences at the bottom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lensun-20W-...lar+panel.TRS0
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also installed the same panels as Jim and have been very happy now for 7-8 mo . These are not the same flexible panels . They are 1/4 in thick with a fiberglass back . They are called semi-flexible panels . They are not as flexible as others on the market . Love when I get up to our roof and they hose off real easy . They are not made with Pet plastic . The surface is hard .Wouldn't hesitate to purchase again . Pat
x2 for me! Ours have been working well for just over one year now.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also installed the same panels as Jim and have been very happy now for 7-8 mo .
Near two years on mine, and no issues at all either.

Like Tom, if I was to get 10 years out of them I would be extremely happy, and would look then for newer and better technology.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
That hasn't been my friend's experience with the flexible panels on his boat. 3 years on and they're just fine. If I add any more panels they'll be flexible ones used as portable panels.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I bought a cheapish set of semi flexible 50 watters a couple years ago for portables that fit in my front storage, they have been fairly easy to scratch for something that's been used twice.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Cool Second Solar Roof Panel

There is no reason why you cannot have both (TV and second solar panel) and yes you could even have a Zamp Solar Port by the battery vent for a Portable option. On the roof, you could put either a three or two Solar roof port. That way, you could try the single panel and have TV, but you also have the option to add additional panels because it would already be wired to a multiple roof port. I have a triple roof port and one 160-Watt panel on the roof. In addition, I have the TV antenna and a Zamp Solar side port for my 120-Watt portable. That way, I the best of all options. I even have the 1500-Watt Inverter option to a single dedicated outlet with an activation switch.

Please email me directly if you would like more information.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Has anyone looked at the flexible solar panels by SunPower or Renogy? I see a bunch of talk about Lensun, but I know guys have done their research and must have considered others.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/94336...tt-solar-panel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMNGVV3...65cfc73de&th=1
Old 11-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
I have 5 years on one set of 100W semi flexible panels mounted with 3m high bond tape.
They are still fully functional, even with the hail damage you can see. They are PET surface, old technology.

The last one I bought was a 100W Lensun, currently the best I could find, with the harder surface.
If I had to replace at a 10 year point I still would be happy, either I wanted to replace the panel or the trailer, and the technology would be better yet by then.
Never had an issue with panels coming loose, or losing output due to overtemping.

The link has specs and differences at the bottom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lensun-20W-...lar+panel.TRS0
Lensun are the panels Jim, Dave , myself and I know others purchased . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Renogy has very poor quality products. Do some research and you will find articles regarding product fires and fines by the US government.

Tags
21', roof mounted solar, tv antenna