Factory Solar Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2024, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Factory Solar Questions

Hello – A month back, I placed an order for an Escape 19F1 that will be ready in early July. It will be delivered to me here in the Baltimore, MD (USA) area so it will be a few weeks (or more) beyond that early July date until I’ll have the camper.

I have a question on the factory solar implementation. I have some experience retrofitting vehicles and RV’s with solar electricity systems. But having never seen an Escape trailer in person, I decided to order the complete solar package for the 19 with two 200 watt solar panels and Lithium package with two 100AH batteries knowing that I would be able to modify the stock system if necessary.

Since I’ve never seen the camper I have a couple of quick questions… I have searched the forum on this but have received a couple of conflicting answers…

Where are the Lithium batteries mounted in the camper?

Which Victron MPPT Charge Controller is Escape now using and where is it mounted?

Is there a solar panel isolation switch/cutoff switch or a circuit breaker to separate the panels from the charge controller?

I am just trying to understand what the stock configuration from Escape encompasses so that I can plan modifications if necessary.

Thanks and Very Best Regards.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Just got the same trailer delivered and doing mods:

Where are the Lithium batteries mounted in the camper? Passenger side bench near front.
Which Victron MPPT Charge Controller is Escape now using and where is it mounted? SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/30
Is there a solar panel isolation switch/cutoff switch or a circuit breaker to separate the panels from the charge controller? There is no switchable isolation, just a fuse. Its all connected to the 12Vdc bus with WAGO connectors. I have isolated the solar several times (it still dips below 0C here early mornings) by slipping the MPPT Battery cable out of the WAGO - works for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hope that helps.
Garry
Garry George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2023 Escape E23
Aren’t the batteries provided in the Escape solar package equipped with low temperature protection eliminating the need to disconnect in low temperature?
Unit # 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry George View Post
Just got the same trailer delivered and doing mods:

Hope that helps.
Garry

Thanks for this, Garry. It does help.

Is the Victron MPPT controller under the same bench as the Lithium batteries?

I saw some photos with the WAGO distribution blocks. Good to know these are stock, but I may switch them out to actual bus bars/terminals. I will also add this panel isolator switch: https://shop.explorist.life/shop/all...or-disconnect/
Old 04-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit # 1 View Post
Aren’t the batteries provided in the Escape solar package equipped with low temperature protection eliminating the need to disconnect in low temperature?
The trailer I ordered was a inventory unit. I had them remove the 2 x 6V lead acid batteries. It came with the 12V default LA battery. I installed my own lithium battery, SOK 280Ah. It has protection and a heater, but I look at that protection as a backup if I inadvertently forget to remove charging. It was a somewhat cheap battery relative to what Escape installs so my philosophy is: Trust but verify.
Garry George is offline   Reply With Quote