Few mods on our 2021 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Few mods on our 2021 5.0

We arrived home in Bristol, RI in mid May after picking up our 5.0 in Sumas on 4/12. In between excursions, mainly to Maine, we've made a few mods:

1. Like many others, I hinged the top step to allow easier access to bulkier objects. Now I can easily store my collapsible ladder. However, I carpeted the fixed sections of the top step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210921_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	58472

Name:	PXL_20210921_2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	58473

2. We added a new dedicated 120V circuit for a King PAW heater adjusted to 1000 Watts. When we do need a little heat at night and we have an electric hookup, we prefer the very quiet and gentle heat of this unit. If needed we turn on the furnace in the early AM to get things cozy.

Name:	PXL_20210921_3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	58475

3. We installed a Swagman Dispatch RV rated bike rack. In the standard position, the bikes seem excessively extended away from the trailer. With my touring road bike loaded closest, the narrow and lower drop bars allow adjusting the positioning so that the drop bars end up between the spare tire and the back window even when open. My wife's bike with its higher and wider handlebar fit better in the outer position. This required moving the rack 7 1/2 " further forward. The rack shank now extends to completely engage the receiver with the front of the shank under the rear crossmember supporting the receiver. This required drilling a new pair of holes in the receiver to mount the threaded hitch pin, but this has also reduced the torque lever arm by 7 1/2 inches. It seems very stable. Photos with just my bike loaded for clarity.

Name:	PXL_20210921_4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	58476

Name:	PXL_20210921_5.MP.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	58477
Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The electric furnace is a great idea, I always try to install one to save on propane so that my streak continues........
Old 09-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Beautiful mods, George! That heater installation is very impressive indeed!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The electric furnace is a great idea, I always try to install one to save on propane so that my streak continues........
I have considered adding an electric heater but I generally don’t camp in extremely cold weather, but when I do, I use a 900 watt ceramic heater. There are no maintenance issues and if it malfunctions, I throw it away and purchase a new one. My first lasted 5-1/2 years, and the replacement was @ &25. I can purchase 4 or 5 more for the price a built-in. Although less convenient, it takes me a minute or two to set up and to take down for travel. In the six years I have owned my trailer, I don’t believe deploying and storing the ceramic heater has taken the amount of time that an electric heater installation would involve. To put things into perspective, the propane furnace has only been utilized three times. First, at orientation. Second, one night boondocking near Jasper, AL, in early June, and third, when we came back to a cold trailer (55° F) and I didn’t want to wait for the ceramic heater to raise the temperature to 72° F.

However, in spite of my alternate approach to non-propane heating, your built-in electric heater modification looks quite professional and attractive, George. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The built-in heater is a more civilized way of having electric heat. Several folks had done that in different ways. I like that unit and in the 21C the end of the bed is the perfect place for it.

I did the ceramic heater thing for years and got tired of tripping over the cord and the poor temperature control. A thermostat at the end of the bed works much better.

I don't use power much but when I do, like at Rogue River in the middle of winter, I'm glad to have it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0012_resize.jpg   IMGP0010_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
George - It'd be good if you could provide further details of your King PAW heater installation. We aren't handy enough to attempt it ourselves but details might permit us to describe the process to someone who can.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
The forum is a great resource. Nice work.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
We arrived home in Bristol, RI in mid May after picking up our 5.0 in Sumas on 4/12. In between excursions, mainly to Maine, we've made a few mods:

1. Like many others, I hinged the top step to allow easier access to bulkier objects. Now I can easily store my collapsible ladder. However, I carpeted the fixed sections of the top step.

Attachment 58472

Attachment 58473

2. We added a new dedicated 120V circuit for a King PAW heater adjusted to 1000 Watts. When we do need a little heat at night and we have an electric hookup, we prefer the very quiet and gentle heat of this unit. If needed we turn on the furnace in the early AM to get things cozy.
Attachment 58475

3. We installed a Swagman Dispatch RV rated bike rack. In the standard position, the bikes seem excessively extended away from the trailer. With my touring road bike loaded closest, the narrow and lower drop bars allow adjusting the positioning so that the drop bars end up between the spare tire and the back window even when open. My wife's bike with its higher and wider handlebar fit better in the outer position. This required moving the rack 7 1/2 " further forward. The rack shank now extends to completely engage the receiver with the front of the shank under the rear crossmember supporting the receiver. This required drilling a new pair of holes in the receiver to mount the threaded hitch pin, but this has also reduced the torque lever arm by 7 1/2 inches. It seems very stable. Photos with just my bike loaded for clarity.

Attachment 58476
Attachment 58477
Another 5.0 TA in New England, welcome! We will be in RI this weekend at Charlestown Breachway. We live in S VT....see ya on the road sometime!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The built-in heater is a more civilized way of having electric heat. Several folks had done that in different ways. I like that unit and in the 21C the end of the bed is the perfect place for it.

I did the ceramic heater thing for years and got tired of tripping over the cord and the poor temperature control. A thermostat at the end of the bed works much better.

I don't use power much but when I do, like at Rogue River in the middle of winter, I'm glad to have it.

Ron
Actually Ron, I run the ceramic heater on the dinette with the cord to the back of the table so no tripping hazard whatsoever. And I had the same problem with temperature control until I purchased a thermostatically controlled go between plug. I just set the ceramic heater knob to high and the remote thermostat turns it on and off as needed. But again, I fully understand those who prefer built in heaters. In three + months this summer I think I used the ceramic heater on two different nights, once in Vermont and once in New Hampshire.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Another 5.0 TA in New England, welcome! We will be in RI this weekend at Charlestown Breachway. We live in S VT....see ya on the road sometime!

Great spot for fishing for Stripers. We're going the opposite direction, heading to Maine on Friday, visiting our son's family on the way to Schoodic Point Campground in Arcadia NP - one of our favorites.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
I love the ladder storage. I have been looking for ideas in how to bring a ladder since the 5.0 doesn’t have an attached one. Any other here on the forum in having a ladder?
Jim_and_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_and_Tom View Post
I love the ladder storage. I have been looking for ideas in how to bring a ladder since the 5.0 doesn’t have an attached one. Any other here on the forum in having a ladder?

This is the most recent thread on portable ladders:https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ers-20437.html
Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
E3474 M-94Georgw, thank you for locating the additional thread & sharing it. Appreciate it.

Jim
Jim_and_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote