Filler board vs Springfield table - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2024, 06:38 AM   #1

Trailer: E-Pro 19FD
Filler board vs Springfield table

I am hesitant to use this photo I found in another thread since it has a member in it, but it shows exactly what I'm trying to describe.

Doing a build sheet for a 5.0.

Trying to determine the best way to turn the U-shaped dinette into a lounge with the ability to make an occasional bed.

From some of you experienced users, is the filler board in this pic a better option than a Springfield table with cushions on top? I'm thinking a lagun with the filler board. But how does that turn into a bed? I would think the Springfield is the easiest bed conversion.

I'm more concerned about the best lounging area than bed conversion.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Filler pillow.jpg  
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
We have the Lagun and a filler board in our U-shaped dinette. In lounge mode (no table) we just leave the Lagun down and tuck the filler board under the queen bed. If we want the table up and have it in lounge mode then we just add back the filler board. We quite like that setup and as gives us options.
Yegegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We started out exactly like the picture above. We had ETI make a filler board and extra cushion. They were 12" wide. We then had another cushion made locally and I added another filler board. After about two years we put in a Springfield with a smaller table and it works very well for lounging or another bed.
Attached Thumbnails
17153835788984181421061883728240.jpg  
Old 05-10-2024, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We started out exactly like the picture above. We had ETI make a filler board and extra cushion. They were 12" wide. We then had another cushion made locally and I added another filler board. After about two years we put in a Springfield with a smaller table and it works very well for lounging or another bed.
I love your table. I wish I had the skills to make one like it.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Talking

It was a Baltic Birch shelf over the refrigerator we didn't need. Took it to a cabinet maker with my original table as a template. Then installed the edge moulding.

Not sure if the Gen2 trailers are square on the faces below the bench cushions, however the Gen1 trailers are trapezoidal.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My gen 2 is not square between the benches.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hey breeves2245,

Take a look at my thread
My "Escape to Margaritaville" Alterations & Mods

post # 92 and 93 will show you what the filler board that I made along with the Lagun tables system mounted to the side bench.

With the filler board I can place my two corner cushion on to make a nice twin size bed or just use it to lounge and you don't have to take the table down at all if you choose not to. The table doesn't get in the way if you choose to sleep on it as a bed.

Now if you are looking to make up the full queen size bed, then you would be best to get the Springfield setup as the table top would be to big for the Lagun system.

Good luck..

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails....... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the full size OEM table with the Springfield pedestal system. Love the large table which is big enough for two or four people and it takes me <10 seconds to drop it to make a bed or lounge area which we do every night after supper! The main disadvantage is that it doesn't leave as much space for getting in and out while dining as does the Lagun system.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
We have the full size OEM table with the Springfield pedestal system. Love the large table which is big enough for two or four people and it takes me <10 seconds to drop it to make a bed or lounge area which we do every night after supper! The main disadvantage is that it doesn't leave as much space for getting in and out while dining as does the Lagun system.
I think my decision comes down to which option makes a better lounge. The OEM table dropped down or a filler cushion? If you drop down the OEM table on the Springfield, how does that table get a cushion to make it a lounge area?
Old 05-16-2024, 07:36 AM   #10

Hey breeves2245,

To answer your question. By dropping down the OEM table on the Springfield and using your cushions that are the backs of the side benches, is what makes up your bed/lounge for that area.

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails......... Jack
Old 05-16-2024, 07:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It was a Baltic Birch shelf over the refrigerator we didn't need. Took it to a cabinet maker with my original table as a template. Then installed the edge moulding.

Not sure if the Gen2 trailers are square on the faces below the bench cushions, however the Gen1 trailers are trapezoidal.
For anyone else thinking of doing this, edge molding is readily available at most big box home improvement stores. All you need to apply it is a regular, household iron and a single edge razor blade and some patience to trim it.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hey breeves2245,

To answer your question. By dropping down the OEM table on the Springfield and using your cushions that are the backs of the side benches, is what makes up your bed/lounge for that area.

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails......... Jack
That is correct; we find that the OEM back cushions are very uncomfortable anyways because they are too flat! We carry a couple of nice big wedge cushions which we use both up top in the bed of the 5.0 and in the lounge in the evenings; with those cushions our lounge is more comfortable than the two lazy-boys we use at home!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2021
I have the same set up as the photo. I love it. One person can sleep with just the filler board but I added another board that stays under the queen mattress or truck until I need it. That way I have the same size bed as using a table. I have the lagun table but never even travel with it. I have the pull down shelves on both sides for tables. My priority was a couch, lounge area.
elizabetsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:58 PM   #14

Above posters, please check my logic.
If I put on one filler board I then have a permanent lounge and bed. Only need the bed to sleep one person.
If I put in a lagun table with pedestal on the side, either driver or passenger, I can have a partial dinette. I will never have more than two persons at the dinette.
This layout will give me a bed, partial dinette and lounge without making any changes.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:41 PM   #15

Hey breeves2245,

Old saying........... "By George I think he's got it".

Your logic will work as you've described. You'll have it all.

Good luck....

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails....... Jack