Finalizing our 19 Build Sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 19/July-18
Finalizing our 19 Build Sheet

Well I have about 10 days to finalize my build sheet. Here is what I am thinking:

2-Way Hot Water Tank
Microwave in cabinet above fridge
Winterizing T Valve
Dual 6V batteries
Removable Power Cord
Air Conditioner
Wireless Back Up Camera
Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows
Opening Window in Kitchen
TV/Cable Ready
Storage Box at front of Trailer
Bench Seat Convert to U Shaped Dinette
Equalizer Hitch

We live in Alberta but don't tend to do much boondocking. Our spring and fall camping would tend to be in warmer climates in the US.

I have seen some posts about issues with the table when the dinette is converted to a U shape. We will mainly use the dinette in the evening (just my wife and me) and wonder about and options to make the small table more flexible and useful.

Happy to receive any expert input! Thanks
dashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Foam spray underneath trailer will help the thermal windows work and 2 pop up tables in the dinette area could eliminate the need for a table there, sometimes.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I would recommend the surge protector/EMS to protect the electrical system since you are planning to use shore power a lot. I’ve recently noticed some power pedestals that were in poor condition and some that were even blackened by smoke or fire.

Have fun completing your build sheet and options can often be added later.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Yes we do use shorepower a lot so good suggestion
Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Foam spray underneath trailer will help the thermal windows work and 2 pop up tables in the dinette area could eliminate the need for a table there, sometimes.
What do you mean by pop up tables? Just non-connected tables with folding legs?
Old 04-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post
Well I have about 10 days to finalize my build sheet. Here is what I am thinking:

2-Way Hot Water Tank
Microwave in cabinet above fridge
Winterizing T Valve
Dual 6V batteries
Removable Power Cord
Air Conditioner
Wireless Back Up Camera
Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows
Opening Window in Kitchen
TV/Cable Ready
Storage Box at front of Trailer
Bench Seat Convert to U Shaped Dinette
Equalizer Hitch

We live in Alberta but don't tend to do much boondocking. Our spring and fall camping would tend to be in warmer climates in the US.

I have seen some posts about issues with the table when the dinette is converted to a U shape. We will mainly use the dinette in the evening (just my wife and me) and wonder about and options to make the small table more flexible and useful.

Happy to receive any expert input! Thanks
Another burning question I have is just going to a single 12V battery... I'd expect the most power load we'd have on a battery would be maybe two nights of dry camping with some furnace use (not winter camping though).
Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
The pop up tables are the ones Escape installs at the kitchen by the sink in the 19, they flip or pop up. Also with dual 6 batteries with solar would be good or no solar and change the dual 6 set up to a group 29 battery which gives you additional power.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
The "pop up tables" in the dinette area are going to be located on the bathroom wall and the divider. That means they will be situated to your side, when sitting.
Would you like to have meals and play games at the table, going only with the "pop up" won't be enough.
There are quite a few options for a table. When not going with the standard table, you can ask ETI to install a table you buy and bring, and have it installed during pick up. You can also go without installing a table at all, and use your own fold up (which you have to pack every time you drive).
Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Another burning question I have is just going to a single 12V battery... I'd expect the most power load we'd have on a battery would be maybe two nights of dry camping with some furnace use (not winter camping though).
We have the larger 12V battery that was an option in 2014. Dunno about a 19, but in the 21 ETI put the bigger 12V in the same battery box used for dual 6Vs, so switching to duals would be a simple swap-out. The single 12V has been good for a week of dry camping.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Definitely yes on the surge protection. It has saved us more than once. And though not mentioned, a pressure regulator if hooked up to “city water”. We had a group 27 12 volt in the 19 and a group 29 in the 21 when we got them but went to dual sixes when we had the solar installed. 12 volts were ok but we could see where they might be marginal if we couldn’t recharge every few days in shoulder season camping where the furnace would run more.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
We are on a similar schedule with our 19' on order. Lots of folks recommend the foot flush toilet, toilet shutoff valve, captain's reading lights, and extra outlets. I think it's prudent to just suck up the cost of installing any option you think you might want during the build rather than add it later. Also depending on your tow vehicle you may want to consider a WDH. I originally rejected the idea until I read up on others' experiences and carefully read the owners manual for my vehicle. We're new to towing and just feel better about having a WDH. Then after looking online at the options, I decided to go with the one ETI offers mainly because they will install it. My TV is a Chevy Colorado.

Good luck!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Salmo7000 he has Equalizer hitch listed.

The pop up tables being referred to are listed as “Additional Counter Extension”.

Another vote for the surge protector/EMS. Also consider the cabinet door at end of bench which is convenient for tools or shoes etc. without having to move the dinette cushions. Another item is the bathroom window. I added one and the daylight makes the small space feel much less confined and you can crack it for replacement air for the stock bath exhaust fan.

...and the outside shower/spray port is convenient when needed.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We love our foot flush toilet and our captain's lights. Also, it is a pain to lift the seat to reach under it so I recommend getting a door opening at the base--it makes it much easier to reach your shoes, flashlights, etc. when at camp. We also widened the back cabinet cupboard above the bed to 36" and it makes it easier to access our clothing vs. being hidden behind a wall.

You'll have so much fun!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I went with a single battery but not for the reason you might. I like isolated two battery banks (or three in a boat) So I only had one installed for pick-up, a legal requirement, and then installed a second battery and a battery selector switch.

Not what you're doing I know, but my point is that we do mainly cross country type travelling, rarely stay in RV places with hookups and operate the trailer one battery at a time. One is always fully charged ready to use. With solar charging we often go days and days or longer just using one battery. Usually the only reason that I switch to the second battery is to simply equalize their use.

So, one battery for your proposed useage seems reasonable and you could always go to a two battery, not all your eggs in one basket, later. The only exception is that when we use our microwave I switch to "both" because it is a large draw. If the batteries fully charged it's OK but for repeated use either dual batteries on both or two 6's would be better.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I’d get the two drawer option below the wardrobe closet. Drawers are at a premium you can’t have too many of them!

+10 captains lights.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Please note, u may want to consider a portable surge protector. Progressive makes a nice one and if u burn it up they will replace it for free. Nothing against the ETI arrangement, but this gives u more flexibility. I secure mine with a small bike cable and lock.
U plug it in and it warns u if there is a problem.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
Please note, u may want to consider a portable surge protector. Progressive makes a nice one and if u burn it up they will replace it for free. Nothing against the ETI arrangement, but this gives u more flexibility. I secure mine with a small bike cable and lock.
U plug it in and it warns u if there is a problem.
Interesting suggestion...definitely easier to replace if it gets fried.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
I secure mine with a small bike cable and lock.
I'd like to see a photo showing how that bike cable works. I don't see how on the surge protectors I've seen advertised.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd like to see a photo showing how that bike cable works. I don't see how on the surge protectors I've seen advertised.
Glen they have a think a metal sturdy ring you can put a lock to keep it from walking away . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #20

The problem with the portable ones are those times the cg power pedestal is on a piece of 4x4 about 12" from the ground, those are the times you would really want to check the power but can not hook up the EMS. The built in is theft proof, forget proof, weather proof and always useable.