Finally a Tongue Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Finally a Tongue Box

I have been waiting to move my batteries inside under dinette to finally get a tongue box. Always wanted a steel, wedge, tongue box when I could move forward. ETI’s box never worked for me for a variety of reasons.
Hard to locate the right size, as there is not a lot of room up there to work with.
Fit all my current setup box inside with lots more space to fill up.
Attached Thumbnails
7BB1B93F-4B3A-4BBD-BC36-5BA621FF8335.jpg   E41115CC-F527-4FC4-B9B7-73704D5A91ECa.jpg   45D163E4-8CB3-40C7-A1CE-CCCCF73B16AFa.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Nice, will you please let us know what size you picked and where you got it.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #3

Certainly. I got this one at Zoro
https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products...80/i/G6019568/
Normally, this goes for $200-$320, but I got a Citi Buy for $190+free ship.
A word of caution on tongue boxes. Ups loves to destroy these in transit, and it took me two tries to get an acceptable one. Fortunately, Zoro stood behind it, but comments on Amazon are they ship them Prime, but will not pay return shipping if it’s damaged. Definitely glad I went with Zoro on this purchase.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I have similar, although maybe wider, I purchased at Tractor Supply ("TSC"): https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...x?cm_vc=-10005

I too checked out Amazon but after reading too many reviews of damaged in shipment I opted to pick mine up at our local TSC. Steel base and aluminum top. They have different sizes available too.

One thing: It uses the typical slam latch and is advertised as "waterproof", but there are big enough holes apart of the slam latch to allow water & dust to enter. I ended up removing the latch and installed Southco latches which worked out better in all regards.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #5

Thanks, Dan I will keep an eye on that issue. I did sweat over going with the next size up, but I got this one installed with no mods other than going to a soft tank cover, and the lid will stay open. The next size was about an inch wider and I would have had to move the propane tanks forward to make it happen.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19 / 2011 Nissan Frontier
It looks like you had to pull off the WDH frame mounts to get the storage box on. I need a better storage box but this setup doesn't have room for the mounts - do you have a solution for that?
bookerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookerb View Post
It looks like you had to pull off the WDH frame mounts to get the storage box on. I need a better storage box but this setup doesn't have room for the mounts - do you have a solution for that?
Yes, I beefed up my weak Frontier rear suspension with Bilstein shocks and Sumo Springs. No need for WDH any longer. The trailer/truck is dead on level when hitched now without WDH, not to mention simplifying hitching/unhitching.
The propane tanks could move forward almost 2", but not sure if that would still allow room for the WDH if you are still wanting to tow with that.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Yes, I beefed up my weak Frontier rear suspension with Bilstein shocks and Sumo Springs. No need for WDH any longer. The trailer/truck is dead on level when hitched now without WDH, not to mention simplifying hitching/unhitching.
The propane tanks could move forward almost 2", but not sure if that would still allow room for the WDH if you are still wanting to tow with that.
Love Bilstein shocks and even Firestone air bags for camper hauling days on F250 Greg .
Next Sat Greg ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Love Bilstein shocks and even Firestone air bags for camper hauling days on F250 Greg .
Next Sat Greg ! Pat
Bielstein’s are excellent product. I think one could always add a leaf spring as well, which should clean up the issue.
I finished on Tuesday. About 18 hrs of body aches, and good to go. We’re rooting for ya!
Old 04-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Bielstein’s are excellent product. I think one could always add a leaf spring as well, which should clean up the issue.
I finished on Tuesday. About 18 hrs of body aches, and good to go. We’re rooting for ya!
Greg first experience with Bielsteins was on our Dodge Class C we had . Original owner had them installed then we replaced with same and loved the ride . This last year got them for the truck when shocks needed replacements .
Hoping we don’t suffer too much ! Still scared but your encouragement got us to get our second appointment ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote