find the differences - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
find the differences

Hi guys,

time for a little game, find the differences between a standard 5.0 classic and the streetlegal European edition of that 5.0 classic.

And, first picture of our " mover" the driveway to my shed is a bit narrow and i have to make a 90 degree turn (with TV and 5.0) to get to the door after which i have to make another 90 degree turn to get the 5.0 into the shed.

To make life a bit easier i whipped up some spare tubing, grabbed 4 wheels (2 of which are swivel wheels), bolted a bottle jack on it and somesort of a "cup" to hold the coupling in.

Tested it yesterday, teh 5.0 is pushed easily with the girlfriend and me from the shed around 2 corners where we can hook it up to the TV. Still tinkering with the idea of motorizing this baby. The "mover" that is, not the girlfriend....

sorry for the tilted picture. Can't get that one right
(I fixed it for you .. Donna D.)
Attached Thumbnails
foto 4.jpg   foto3.jpg  
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
OK, I'll bite Aside from the extended bumper and triangle lights, I give up. Do the triangle lights flash as hazard lights?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Guessing here from my euro car ownership days, rear /front fogs and alley parking warning light (single).
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Taillights are different. Triangle shaped reflectors on rear. Clearance lights or something similar on bumpers?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Funny looking license plate?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Well, considering I've never seen a 5.0SA and am very new to this brand, the only thing I can think that's different (other than what's already posted and that I noticed) is that it's in the Netherlands! I'd say that's pretty darn different from all the others out there.

Bet you get lots of questions on what you have. And how much it cost to ship it to you. And why you picked this brand.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Directional fog lamps on the bumper, different tail lights (3 color), warning lamp, and reflectors. Can't see any other difference from the photo.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
  1. The triangles are presumably reflectors, not lamps (as Dave mentioned).
  2. Separate amber turn signal lamps (everyone spots those).
  3. Single rear fog lamp on driver's side (front lamps would not be fogs).
  4. Euro license plate with country of origin (NL for Netherlands) on the left side.
  5. Parking lamps which can operate separately on each side should be the regular tail or clearance lamps (they are in cars).
  6. Different type of hitch, of a type which is Euro-approved - looks like the lower pinbox has been replaced by a custom section (much nicer than bolting an extended adapter onto the stock pin)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why is there an extra red lamp on the left side?
Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why is there an extra red lamp on the left side?
In Europe I believe that you are generally required to have...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Single rear fog lamp on driver's side (front lamps would not be fogs).
There can be two lamps or one, and one can be centred (like some BMW Minis sold here) or (preferably) off-centre to the driver's side. They appear on some European-built vehicles here, but are well-integrated so they are not noticeable when off. In some cases the Euro version of a car will have a rear fog in the place where we have one of the backup lamps, leaving only one backup lamp (and example of this is my old Ford Focus wagon).

The rear fog lamp is turned on during periods of obscured visibility (fog, snow, heavy rain) to make the vehicle more visible to following traffic. It is on steadily when used, like a tail lamp but closer to the brightness of a stop (brake) lamp.
Sometimes the rear fog is run by the same switch as the front fogs, leading to clueless North American drivers who use the front fogs as ornamental features driving in clear conditions with the rear fog on - dangerous incompetence.

Confirmation or correction from Seef or other Europeans appreciated.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What's the small decal in the upper right corner of the nose? It has a number on it.. 14, I think...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
And, first picture of our " mover"...

To make life a bit easier i whipped up some spare tubing, grabbed 4 wheels (2 of which are swivel wheels), bolted a bottle jack on it and somesort of a "cup" to hold the coupling in.

Tested it yesterday, teh 5.0 is pushed easily with the girlfriend and me from the shed around 2 corners where we can hook it up to the TV.
In previous discussions the concern with this style of design was stability. I'm glad to hear this works for you, Seef - I think the lower coupling height of your hitch system (at the floor of the truck box rather than well above it) is the reason yours is sufficiently stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Still tinkering with the idea of motorizing this baby. The "mover" that is, not the girlfriend....
I assume that you are pushing on the trailer, rather than the moving dolly. If it is motorized, it will be pushing from ground level, and I would still be concerned about it tipping over.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What's the small decal in the upper right corner of the nose? It has a number on it.. 14, I think...
Canadian Flag ?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #14

Hi guys,

well it wasn't that ard was it?

@Donna, thanks for correcting the tilted picture

Brian had all the answers, the rear fog light is only to be used if visibility is 50 meters or less. Using it while visibility is better will result in getting a nice ticket if Smokey catches u.

That fog light is exactly as bright as your braking lights so leaving them on while visibility is better than 50 meters is indeed dangerous incompetence as you will be blinded by those foglights during the night.
Most of the time the rear foglights are connected to the front foglights indeed.

@ Jim, funny looking license plate indeed. It starts with OL which stands for Oplegger which stands for (truck) trailer. The 5.0 is categorized as a truck trailer overhere not as a caravan which is pretty rare overhere.

Saying that trailers (as caravans) are pretty rare means that you will be visited every evening by your fellow campers who are wondering how things hook up to your car, what space is in that trailer, where you got it from etc. So every night you will be socializing Which is nice as long as the feloow campers don't drink all of your beer.

So (5th wheel) trailers are very rare overhere, much to my surprise (and everyone elses for that matter) yesterday another 5th wheel pulled in. This is a European trailer, don't know the make yet, it uses a standard kingpin coupler and is way bigger and heavier then the humble Escape. I'll take a picture later on today and gather some motre intel on that 5th wheel.

@Donna: GOOD spot, that little sticker tells the camera's on the Swiss roads that you have indeed payed for the use of their roads (roadtaxes). If you don't have that sticker you will receing some nice fine when returning to your home. Yup fines within the EU will be c ollected by the Dutch governement and the money is send over to the country which wrote the ticket.

You'll need a sticker for both the TV and the trailer and you'll need a new sticker every year. The cost about 40 bucks i believe.

Have fun, i know we will.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #15

Quote:
In previous discussions the concern with this style of design was stability. I'm glad to hear this works for you, Seef - I think the lower coupling height of your hitch system (at the floor of the truck box rather than well above it) is the reason yours is sufficiently stable.
that is a reasonable possibility.

Quote:
I assume that you are pushing on the trailer, rather than the moving dolly. If it is motorized, it will be pushing from ground level, and I would still be concerned about it tipping over.

We pushed and pulled, just to see what would happen. Tipping it over is a possibility, i did not weigh the front end yet but judged on how much it leans on the TV it think it ways in at more than 300 KG's which is a lot of weight to tip over.
But you are right, it is something to be worried about.
Still i will give the motorizing a try, if it works, it make life easier on us, if not, we will manage, the Escape is very light weight once you have some momentum in it.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 AM   #16

One more picture, spot the difference, i admit, it is hard to spot.

Hint: it is not the different coupler, that would be too easy.
Attached Thumbnails
foto 1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
That doesn't look like an ETI tire rim.
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Humm, yeah wheels? Yep, you changed them, direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...html#post58450
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
2 additional (very low) side markers/reflectors.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #20

The obvious was ofcourse teh tire as ADKzookeeper and Donna reported. 2nd are the very low contour lights. Correct, those are mandatory overhere. Amber to the sides, white to the front and red to the back.
But the biggest change is the one every one missed (untill now).

If you remember we had a very nasty bucking experience on our road trip to Tuscany last summer. It was the maiden voyage of the Escape 5.0 and in Switzerland it bucked so heavy we were afraid the Escape would be the next Titanic for us, stranded on the maiden voyage. On our return to the Netherlands i dropped a note on this forum, only 2 people replied they had also some bucking experiences but not that heavy.

So the coachbuilder and we sat around the table and started discussing what would have caused this heavy bucking.

In the end we decided it was the combination of things.
1. different axle, a bit stiffer than the original due to DMV regulations.
2. Different coupler, longer boom, angle to the boom etc.

So last winter the coachbuilder came up with a plan.

A 2nd frame was build under the original, the tubing used is a bit bigger in diameter and a bit thicker in materials, resulting is a stiffer frame. Ir=t was welded to the original from front to back, including the axle.
The original bolted on coupler was removed and replaced by a welded on one, from extra stiff material.

These changes resulted in a very much stiffer frame, e.g. prior to these changes, the trailer would squeeck when we lowered here on the TV, you could actually see the frame flex while the coupler touched the TV. This is no longer the case. It is a rigid as it possibly can be.

Please understand that the original frame wasn't bad at all, it just wasn't build for the changes we had to made to get things streetlegal.

Attached some pictures of the new frame.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
foto 1.JPG   foto 2.JPG