Fixed Electrical Cord Container - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Fixed Electrical Cord Container

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron first picture shows your cord confined but it is a little tangled . That will definitely gets worst as cord gets cold Pat
See Pat, I even let you have the first word as I know there are the usual two differing opinions on attached or detachable power cords.

I used removable cords for many years on boats and on my last two trailers I converted the fixed cord to a removable one.

I've nothing against them and I've never worried that someone was going to steal it or that I'd drive away without it. Sometimes though, when I was drying and wiping mud off of 25' of cord and I had only actually needed about 5' I did see that there was some wisdom to only having to pull out as much as you need with a fixed cord.

So, yes Pat, I have a fixed cord for now anyway. I'll use it for a while. If I don't like it I'll do the conversion. You'll never get to walk by my trailer and hear if I'm muttering and cursing trying to stuff a cold cord back in the hole because the only time you're likely to be near would at Q'site which has no power available and certainly isn't cold.

I observed it being shoved back inside and it coiled up just fine so I'll go ahead and put a lid on the area. I didn't want the cord being shoved into an area with electrical stuff.

Well, pretty much mostly done for now in back. Replaced the seat support to nowhere and everything's painted. So time to install the Springfield pedestal.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0054_resize.JPG   IMGP0056_resize.JPG   IMGP0058_resize.JPG   IMGP0057_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
See Pat, I even let you have the first word as I know there are the usual two differing opinions on attached or detachable power cords.

I used removable cords for many years on boats and on my last two trailers I converted the fixed cord to a removable one.

I've nothing against them and I've never worried that someone was going to steal it or that I'd drive away without it. Sometimes though, when I was drying and wiping mud off of 25' of cord and I had only actually needed about 5' I did see that there was some wisdom to only having to pull out as much as you need with a fixed cord.

So, yes Pat, I have a fixed cord for now anyway. I'll use it for a while. If I don't like it I'll do the conversion. You'll never get to walk by my trailer and hear if I'm muttering and cursing trying to stuff a cold cord back in the hole because the only time you're likely to be near would at Q'site which has no power available and certainly isn't cold.

I observed it being shoved back inside and it coiled up just fine so I'll go ahead and put a lid on the area. I didn't want the cord being shoved into an area with electrical stuff.

Well, pretty much mostly done for now in back. Replaced the seat support to nowhere and everything's painted. So time to install the Springfield pedestal.

Ron
Ron we also had the attached in fact always had a attached cord . But under the bed in the 19 just didn’t work out . We tried for a few years until arriving at a campground almost dark and the cord would not come out . It was tangled bad . No fun under the bed in the dark to release . You have a better situation under your dinette and I wouldn’t be concerned with a removable . Yes just pulling out what you need was great . The problem is the 19 trailer installation. Our other attached cords were in a nice box with a door . You never would deal with a tangled cord you couldn’t fix standing up outside . Yes very good idea confining that cord . First mod I did when found the cord going all over under the 19 . You have a better situation and can fix very easy . So don’t blame you for giving it a try . Seeing your cord brought back bad memories.
Love the Springfield for our situation . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I been satisfied with using the factory cord and pulling out only what I needed. It has never gotten tangled and jammed like yours did, Pat. I did, however have an issue with the cheapo plastic port and its light-weight "fingers" which are meant to be flexible enough to allow the pushing in and pulling out. Did finally have to replace that port but have yet to find a replacement with a better build quality.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I been satisfied with using the factory cord and pulling out only what I needed. It has never gotten tangled and jammed like yours did, Pat. I did, however have an issue with the cheapo plastic port and its light-weight "fingers" which are meant to be flexible enough to allow the pushing in and pulling out. Did finally have to replace that port but have yet to find a replacement with a better build quality.
Hi Myron . Guess it is the luck of the draw about the tangled cord for me . Yes that plastic port is pretty cheap . Probably no one will improve because they can make more selling you the detachable . It just is what it is . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21”
We just picked up our 21, with a removable cord, and load it, tonight, into this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed a 15 amp external connector and use a 15 amp extension cord for those times air conditioning is not needed. In side I use a 15 to 30 amp connector. So far I have not had to use my 30 amp power cord outside.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I installed a 15 amp external connector and use a 15 amp extension cord for those times air conditioning is not needed. In side I use a 15 to 30 amp connector. So far I have not had to use my 30 amp power cord outside.
This may limit someone in other ways depending on their use and trailer options. For example you could have an issue with a 1500W space heater (12.5A) combined with the converter (~8.5A) or 700W microwave (~6A). Hot water heater on electric is 12amps. Refrigerator on A/C is ?? Amps. Just making the point that it is not just about the air conditioner. That could be misconstrued and owners may think they can run any other combination of appliances silmultaneously on a 15A cord which isn’t the case. At a minimum you would be risking overheating of the connector and extension cord.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This may limit someone in other ways depending on their use and trailer options. For example you could have an issue with a 1500W space heater (12.5A) combined with the converter (~8.5A) or 700W microwave (~6A). Hot water heater on electric is 12amps. Refrigerator on A/C is ?? Amps. Just making the point that it is not just about the air conditioner. That could be misconstrued and owners may think they can run any other combination of appliances silmultaneously on a 15A cord which isn’t the case. At a minimum you would be risking overheating of the connector and extension cord.
True this option is not suitable for some power hungry units. No microwave, no electric water heater, and a 1500 watt electric heater is way overkill. I will have to analyze my electric use in winter though, a 400 watt oil filled radiator and a crock pot may be brought then. Perhaps turn the converter off to prevent any issues? I can always use the 30 amp plug though.....
Old 10-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I can always use the 30 amp plug though.....
Why not just always use it? If only a 15A outlet is available, like I have always had at home, just add the wee adaptor.

I do carry a short 15A extension cord for use with the outdoor plug if needed. I may leave it behind, as I have very rarely used it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #10

I did it for ease of use. The smaller cord is easier to use and clean and stow, particularly in colder weather. I also thought I had a senior moment with my last Escape and purchased an extra 30 amp cord when I thought it had been left behind, but found the original one later.
These are my reasons, but who knows, I replaced my attached cord on my first Escape, may do it again in the future on my 4th. In addition I never liked the screw on set up, the SmartPlug looks like a much better set up https://www.amazon.com/SmartPlug-Amp...37968929&psc=1
and cheaper than the factory option.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I did it for ease of use. The smaller cord is easier to use and clean and stow, particularly in colder weather. I also thought I had a senior moment with my last Escape and purchased an extra 30 amp cord when I thought it had been left behind, but found the original one later.
These are my reasons, but who knows, I replaced my attached cord on my first Escape, may do it again in the future on my 4th. In addition I never liked the screw on set up, the SmartPlug looks like a much better set up https://www.amazon.com/SmartPlug-Amp...37968929&psc=1
and cheaper than the factory option.
For those that camp in cold weather, it might be worth replacing the power cord (either permanent or detached) with a cord designed for cold weather. One example is Super Vu-Tron SOOW. It remains flexible down to -50°C. It is also bright yellow, so you won't forget it!
Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
True this option is not suitable for some power hungry units. No microwave, no electric water heater, and a 1500 watt electric heater is way overkill. I will have to analyze my electric use in winter though, a 400 watt oil filled radiator and a crock pot may be brought then. Perhaps turn the converter off to prevent any issues? I can always use the 30 amp plug though.....
I knew what you meant. I was just proposing more of a worst case scenario with electric appliances so some newbie doesn't go out camping and thinking they can use a 15A extension cord as long as they don't use their A/C.