Fly Fishing Modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Fly Fishing Modification

When we ordered our Escape 21 we had two LED captain's lights installed specifically so I wouldn't have to wear head lamps when fly tying in the trailer. As you can see from the photo, they focus on the vice from two directions. The standard LED lights are very bright, but not to the point I could tie a fly by their light. Even in daylight the additional lighting is usually necessary for me to see the fly in detail. The fly tying bins go into the end overhead cupboard. A strip of vinyl from linoleum flooring protects the table from the tying vice's clamp. No regrets getting these lights installed! We took a fly to ETI and sat in a demo Escape 21 before deciding to get them. I thought this modification might appeal to other fly tyers or crafters out there.

Bob K
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4222.jpg  
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use one of these for detail work at the table, clamps on and USB power
https://www.amazon.com/Daffodil-ULT3...rds=usb+lights
Old 06-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

I use something like that at home, but I decided to splurge with the trailer and give me more freedom of movement. The clamp on light at home gets in the way at times. Now my preferred place to tie flies is the Escape!
Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Please explain location of the Captain Lights

I am working on my Build List for a 21' and like your suggestion on the lights, but I can't quite figure out the location of the lights in your picture. Are you sitting at the dinette with lights in each corner of the overhead cabinet? Or are they at some other location? Without access to a trailer it is hard to interpret exactly what I am looking at.
DiverRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Fly Fishing Modification

I am sitting at the dinette on the driver's side. We didn't need these lights for reading, but seeing as they are there I will often use them to read. If my wife is in bed and I can't sleep, the captain's light's focused beam keeps the light from bothering her. The standard captain's lights by the head of the bed bother us if in use while we are trying to sleep.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
As in this diagram:
Attached Thumbnails
21-Escape-Floorplan-001.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Exactly, Karen. They are installed on the bottom of the cabinet. Thanks for the diagram.

Bob K

Old 06-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I love these lights, too! We have placed them in the corners of our 19's dinette and where our heads rest on the bed. I am an early riser and love to needlepoint when we have down-time. These lights can easily be swiveled to the task at hand. I agree this was a great option I'm glad I have.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thank you for your help

Bob and Karen,

Really appreciate your input. This makes filling out the bid sheet a lot easier, and the diagram is very handy.

Do you have one or two must have recommendations that has made your interior more comfortable?

Anxiously awaiting our delivery date October 26.
DiverRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Keep in mind that the captain's lights are exceedingly bright. One would do for most applications but fly tying is an extremely detailed task and requires extraordinary lighting as Bob has shown.

Edited: I love the posted picture as it reminds me of my dad in his much younger days (he's almost 100) when he was tying flies.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #11

Hi Rod,
The spray foam insulation has kept our trailer floor a lot cozier in cold weather than what we experienced on our previous Nash trailer.

The double paned windows really make a difference too and really deaden sound when closed.

There are a ton of other people's suggestions on this forum. Keep reading and find the best build sheet for how you plan to camp.

Bob K

Old 06-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have four of the captain's LED lights as well. They are installed in the four corners of our 17. The two at the dinette end, combined with the std. overhead LED, and the std. LED fixtures under the cabinets, provide more than enough light for any of our activities.
At the bed end, we found that we usually turn one to face the wall corner to diffuse the light. Being a bright LED fixture, it's still enough light to read by.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

The placement of our two on the same side of the dinette and focusing on the tying vice from either side gives double the light where the beams overlap. Before we got our Escape I thought this might be overkill, but it definitely is not. I just thought I would share our experience so other fly tiers or other crafters would benefit from it. Of course, this option wasn't the cheapest solution, but definitely a great one.

Bob K