Froli Star vs Ikea Lonset in E19. Your research & experience? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Froli Star vs Ikea Lonset in E19. Your research & experience?

Extra points for real life experience.

Double points for anyone that can tell me how to get the mattress out of an Escape 19 without cussing.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We installed the Froli system in our 21' and are very happy with the added comfort. Easy to install and trim as well.

Can't help on removing mattress.... Cut it in half?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We installed the Froli System on our 19. Makes the mattress very comfortable, as comfortable as home. We installed to the medium setting. One can install firm or soft, but medium works extremely well for us. With the air space under the mattress the Froli system offers, there is no condensation under the mattress. We have camped in the winter with temps about -6 Celcius. Furnace on, windows cracked a bit and no condensation anywhere.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

As for getting the mattress out without cussing...I suggest putting an apple in your mouth.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

I didn't have an apple when I took the mattress out. Got it out but cursing was part of the process. Gives you a little bit of extra energy
Old 06-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #6
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Frankly...having ordered the Ikea option vs the Froli system (hasn't arrived yet) - I'm inclined to think that either one is expensive. Froli out of the states requires 30% exchange, plus shipping to Canada plus any taxes and duties may be applicable (I am biting my tongue as I write this). So based on that, I ordered from Ikea...you know...the world wide provider of all things Swedish.

Ikea has added $130 in shipping to the taxes and price of their product since it's shipped out of Montreal (I am biting my tongue once again). Note I live in BC. Huskersteffy's comments suggest a win with their purchase/install.

I'll provide an assessment of the Ikea product once it has arrived and is installed.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Can anyone estimate the additional weight of these under bed support systems?
Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #8

I never actually weighed the Froli system for our Escape 19, but if I had to guess it would be in the range of 2 or 3 lbs. Very light but sturdy
Old 06-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm not familiar with the Froli but did buy the Ikea Lonset for my 19. Assembly was tedious but acceptable. Dear one with her back claims it made a difference for her. Me, I could sleep on concrete. Biggest issue is the Lonset makes access to the trap doors under it extremely difficult. Have no idea what weight was added but think that is a non-issue.

I'd drive a thousand miles before I would spend $130 for shipping one.
Attached Thumbnails
Lonset1.jpg   Lonset2.jpg  
Old 07-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #10

All of ya'll - Epilogue - I had a catastrophic incident with Ikea. I'm going with Froli. Thanks
Old 07-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
All of ya'll - Epilogue - I had a catastrophic incident with Ikea. I'm going with Froli. Thanks
Well, to update from my previous, and to parallel Richard's comment the following anecdote is provided.

Queen size "Lonset" was available and on sale (CDN$50) at the closest Ikea to us. 1.5 hour drive plus ferry cost of CDN$150. Ordered it & arranged for family member to do Covid curbside pickup. Well that was a total FUBAR. Wasn't "ready" first day and second trip next day was 2 hour wait for curbside after notification it's "ready".

Still don't have it but it's safe and sound. Never was able to get customer service in Quebec. Not a catastrophe, but certainly representative of poor customer service from a company with a worldwide reputation. (BTW family member received $100 gift card for the deed - since he deserved it).
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
This is the Froli system in my 5.0 before wrangling the mattress back up there. My mattress is "full" size, not the std queen. I can't imagine doing the queen by myself.

I discovered that the mattress does not slide worth a darn on the supports. If you do slide the mattress, lift it up and put the pieces back together.

The "softer" light blue pieces are grouped to one side because it is just me. The extra support pieces (red) are on the sides because I store stuff there.
Attached Thumbnails
0907191456_HDR.jpg  
Old 07-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
This is the Froli system in my 5.0 before wrangling the mattress back up there. My mattress is "full" size, not the std queen. I can't imagine doing the queen by myself.

I discovered that the mattress does not slide worth a darn on the supports. If you do slide the mattress, lift it up and put the pieces back together.

The "softer" light blue pieces are grouped to one side because it is just me. The extra support pieces (red) are on the sides because I store stuff there.
Grey Ghost - thank you for the input. One of my concerns is wrangling the full queen in our E19. I have a pal that has installed a Froli and he offered to help. It's gonna cost me a snort or two of my best bourbon
Old 07-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Richard,
I put it back up there by myself the first time. I had reversed the ends, putting the curve-adapted head end at the stairs. I waited until I had help to take it back down & turn it around. And the full width mattress almost fits between the obstacle closet & cabinet so it was easier than the std queen width would be.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #15

I installed the froli system in our E19. I managed to get the mattress out and back in by myself. Wasn't the easiest job but wasn't the worst either. The mattress does bend a little bit making it possible
Old 04-13-2022, 10:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Froli Question

For those of you with the Froli system in your Escape 19--Did you have to order extra pieces? We are going to order the Star kit and set it on medium. I would rather just do one order than run short of pieces. Is one queen kit enough for the 60x80 E19 mattress?
Thanks!
Platypus Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #17

We installed the Froli Star system in our Escape 19, had set it up for the medium setting. The queen size kit actually was more than enough. We have pieces left over.

The Froli system is fantastic. We also ordered a roof top tent for some more serious back country travel, and ordered the Froli Travel system for that. Haven't yet installed that but expect it to perform as well as the Star system
Old 04-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Thanks Sean for the quick reply! We are picking up our E19 in a week and know that we want this system. So excited!
Platypus Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We used HyperVent under our mattress to deal with condensation. Additional material was cut to surround mattress outside wall perimeter. This is only successful if you keep the warm bedding and pillows from having contact with cold walls. Where I also found moisture on material was at the front dinette, especially if there is uninsulated hatches below. I'm looking into giving cushions separation from cold.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
moisture is an issue in cold weather and I thought I had it really bad on one trip but much of the excess moisture was cured when I discovered a loose water fitting that was weeping and adding humidity! Later on I found the inlet hose clamp to also be loose. If you notice water dripping from the weep hole at the bottom of the trailer, it would be wise to get a good flashlight and peek under your bed!
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
froli, ikea, lonset, remove mattress