Galley retractable receptacle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not a conduit.
Ok, I touched it and it's not rigid enough to be called a true conduit (in a Home Depot sense). But it does contain wires inside, so technically and semantically, it's a conduit
Now I wonder why they bothered to install metal electrical boxes and non-metal conduit, probably b/c they could not find ones made of cheap soft plastic.
If it were up to me, I would do aluminum conduit in all exposed locations.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
Ok, I touched it and it's not rigid enough to be called a true conduit (in a Home Depot sense). But it does contain wires inside, so technically and semantically, it's a conduit
But it's not a conduit in electrical terms and it's certainly not metal

Quote:
Now I wonder why they bothered to install metal electrical boxes and non-metal conduit, probably b/c they could not find ones made of cheap soft plastic.
They didn't use conduit; they just tidied up some cabling with loom cover. There are many millions of homes and commercial buildings full of metallic device boxes and nonmetallic sheathed cable like this, because both of those components are appropriate for their purposes... as they are in a trailer.

Quote:
If it were up to me, I would do aluminum conduit in all exposed locations.
Why? Even if you believe that conduit is needed to protect the cables (which might be reasonable in a cabinet used for storage), it doesn't need to be metallic, and when it is metallic it's typically galvanized steel rather than aluminum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Aluminum is a bit lighter than steel. Not too important for home use, but lighter is always better for RVs.
I am doing kitchen renovation at the moment, so I know that the building codes (at least in our area) only allow metal conduits under sinks or anywhere where the wire could be damaged inside kitchen cabinets. That is why I am saying if I were to be full-timing in our trailer, I would make it all bullet proof by using metallic conduit. Occasional use - I guess soft plastic is Ok. Not the worst thing inside a trailer, compared to common housing
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Thank you for posting the photos. Considering that exposed AC wiring is sheathed as well as covered in plastic wire loom for additional protection and maybe neater appearance, metal conduit is not necessary. And aluminum is heavier than plastic, even if aluminum is lighter than steel.
However, getting back to the original question, regardless whether or not wiring is in metallic conduit, it is not a wise practice to exceed the capacity for which any electrical component is rated.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
In our 19, we installed this:
https://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Appr...7CQJ1VYH&psc=1

The counter top in a 19 is very limited spatially, so I installed this in our table. It is a 12amp, 1400 watt max appliance. We plug in a small electric heater at night, or the toaster oven at breakfast time. It has USB ports.

I find it quite useful on the table and don't miss another plug-in by the sink. The one drawback to this location, is that if you drop the table to make an extra bed, you need to remove the fixture since the front of a 19 slopes into the trailer space and interferes with the bottom of the plug strip. It only takes 20 seconds however, to remove and store the fixture. In our 19, there is a 110 plug receptacle in the PS side bench under the table.
Attached Thumbnails
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15cb.jpg  
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote