Galley retractable receptacle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Galley retractable receptacle

The early 19's don't have a receptacle to conveniently use with countertop appliances like the newer trailers along the front upper area of the base cabinet. Cords were getting draped around the bulkhead and the mattress interferes. Also not GFI protected. Became inspired by cpaharley and Jim Bennett's retractable receptacles so decided to add one. Away from the sink was best and with the flush Dickinson cooktop there is a nice flat area for an appliance. Drilled a 3" hole. Routed wiring across the cabinetry and wired into the receptacle on the lower end of the cabinet by the door. This is GFI protected as it is downstream on the same circuit as the outside GFI so my new outlets are now also protected. Should provide greater versatility for power in the galley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1626.jpg (342.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1627.jpg (261.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1628.jpg (285.5 KB, 147 views)
__________________

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,847
Cool!
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Adding the product that I used...
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pop-Up-.../dp/B00AAZKDTS
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hope, Indiana
Trailer: Escape 21
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Good job!

Yep. I have several variations in my Amazon cart. It’s by far the better solution to ETI’s front-of-counter receptacle; which is easily bumped or disengaged when sliding by someone in the aisle way. There are several examples on this forum, that are good too.
__________________
Trent
Rrgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I wonder if it could handle 20A. Or at least 15. I am thinking 700w IP and 1000w kettle at the same time.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
I wonder if it could handle 20A. Or at least 15. I am thinking 700w IP and 1000w kettle at the same time.
If you READ the Amazon description, it clearly states it is rated for 12 amps. The duplex outlets ETI installs are all on 15 amp breakers. So wonder no more, but if you choose to try running 1700 watts through it at the same time, have a fire extinguisher at hand in the event that the load does not trip the breaker.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
I wonder if it could handle 20A. Or at least 15. I am thinking 700w IP and 1000w kettle at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you READ the Amazon description, it clearly states it is rated for 12 amps. The duplex outlets ETI installs are all on 15 amp breakers. So wonder no more, but if you choose to try running 1700 watts through it at the same time, have a fire extinguisher at hand in the event that the load does not trip the breaker.
Yes rated for 12A. There are others out there rated higher but as Carl says please respect that several outlets are strung on a 15A breaker. It's not like a typical house kitchen. Without running some dedicated circuits with appropriate sized wiring you need to stay within the limits of what is there.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes rated for 12A. There are others out there rated higher but as Carl says please respect that several outlets are strung on a 15A breaker. It's not like a typical house kitchen. Without running some dedicated circuits with appropriate sized wiring you need to stay within the limits of what is there.
I am pretty sure that popup outlet can handle 15A, electricals are usually rated lower than what they could handle. All wires need to be in a metal conduit, anyway, so the risk of fire is minimal. The counter outlet box is also all metal.

I didn't know all trailer's breakers were only 15A. I guess it makes sense, and the conduits can be much slimmer with 15A.

I could not find a similar 15A rated popup on Amazon - the one w/t USBs, slim enough, etc. Also, 2 outlets instead of 3 would be ideal and would reduce the overall length of the device.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
I could not find a similar 15A rated popup on Amazon - the one w/t USBs, slim enough, etc. Also, 2 outlets instead of 3 would be ideal and would reduce the overall length of the device.
Pricey but many options here that might give you some ideas.
https://www.kitchenpowerpopups.com/c...perage_15-amps
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pricey but many options here that might give you some ideas.
https://www.kitchenpowerpopups.com/c...perage_15-amps
Oh, $189, and may not even accommodate all types of plugs (flat, reversed, oversized), compared to that Hafele. I guess I had better run and measure whether I have 12" space and buy that Hafele.
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
I am pretty sure that popup outlet can handle 15A, electricals are usually rated lower than what they could handle.
That's like "trucks are rated lower than they can handle, so it's okay if I overload it"... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
All wires need to be in a metal conduit, anyway, so the risk of fire is minimal.
That may be the building code where you live, but it is not generally true, does not apply to RVs, and is not true of an Escape (or any other RV that I have seen). The 120 V AC wiring in an Escape is, like most of this wiring in residences in North America, done in nonmetallic-sheathed cable; that cabling is perfectly safe if not abused.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oriental, North Carolina
Trailer: 2011 Casita 17
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes rated for 12A. There are others out there rated higher but as Carl says please respect that several outlets are strung on a 15A breaker. It's not like a typical house kitchen. Without running some dedicated circuits with appropriate sized wiring you need to stay within the limits of what is there.
Does anyone know how many outlets are on the same circuits in the galley? Is it practical to run a 20 amp circuit into the galley or any where else in a trailer? It would be nice to run an electric frying pan and a coffee maker outside. Would the power center handle a 20 amp fuse or breaker. Also is the microwave on a shared or separate circuit?
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Does anyone know how many outlets are on the same circuits in the galley? Is it practical to run a 20 amp circuit into the galley or any where else in a trailer? It would be nice to run an electric frying pan and a coffee maker outside. Would the power center handle a 20 amp fuse or breaker. Also is the microwave on a shared or separate circuit?
This diagram has the AC/DC circuits connections in the power center. Also the sub panel if you have the ETI installed Inverter. Some of the point to point wiring will not be the same as your trailer tho. IE: This diagram has the Victron battery monitor and solar installed.

From tdf texas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring-TDF-TEXAS.jpg (141.6 KB, 19 views)
__________________
If you look as bad as your passport photo, you are too sick to travel!
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
This diagram has the AC/DC circuits connections in the power center. Also the sub panel if you have the ETI installed Inverter. Some of the point to point wiring will not be the same as your trailer tho. IE: This diagram has the Victron battery monitor and solar installed.

From tdf texas.
Point to point is probably fairly accurate but keep in mind that tdf-texas added two breakers in his sub panel. I think three of those circuits leaving the sub panel are original (two were probably twinned together to one breaker) and I think he added the dedicated circuit for the microwave. Maybe he will weigh in but my point is this is not the stock layout.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 120 V AC wiring in an Escape is, like most of this wiring in residences in North America, done in nonmetallic-sheathed cable; that cabling is perfectly safe if not abused.
In my 2021 17B trailer, all AC wires I can see are in a conduit. The ones I can't see (behind the walls) could be bare, yes, but in all cabinets, including sink cabinet, they should be in a metal conduit. That is where the popup outlet wiring would be, in a sink cab.
I would use something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...9221/202316372
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 113
That was the point I was trying to make. Not stock. Just didn't say it as well as I could have.
__________________
If you look as bad as your passport photo, you are too sick to travel!
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
In my 2021 17B trailer, all AC wires I can see are in a conduit. The ones I can't see (behind the walls) could be bare, yes, but in all cabinets, including sink cabinet, they should be in a metal conduit. That is where the popup outlet wiring would be, in a sink cab.
I would use something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...9221/202316372
How can you see the AC wires if they are in a conduit?

All kidding aside, absolutely none of the visible (not in walls) AC wiring in my 2015 5.0TA is in conduit, and as Brian stated earlier, none of my previous trailers were wired using conduit. Conduit is frequently used when individual insulated wires (without an outer sheath) are run in an industrial building or in a workshop where the walls might not be finished and the wiring could be inadvertently damaged. While I haven’t seen a 2021 Escape yet, every Escape I have seen uses what is commonly called Romex, not encased in any type of conduit. Might I ask that you post a photo showing the conduit in your sink cabinet?
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
Posts: 74
Here are the pics showing AC wires in a conduit.
Also, when looking under the sink, I realized I won't be able to use the Hafele popup outlet
There is an exterior shower stuff right behind the faucet.
Now I am thinking of routing the wire to the far right corner of the counter, behind the cooktop, and then straight up to the hood (would be exposed) to a surface-mounted outlet right under the hood's far right corner. Can't think of any other location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.jpg (299.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (338.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2257.jpg (281.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2256.jpg (342.5 KB, 13 views)
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe (original owner)
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
Here are the pics showing AC wires in a conduit.
I don't want to get into a silly semantic battle, but few folks consider the pictured "corrugated split loom" an "electrical conduit". Obviously, YMMV.

Each has its place, the former being quite common in RV applications, the latter (as considered by most folks) not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
All wires need to be in a metal conduit, anyway, so the risk of fire is minimal.
BTW, if you do install metallic boxes and/or metallic conduit please be attentive to grounding / bonding requirements lest you introduce a different sort of electrocution / fire risk.
__________________
Alan E.
Soon-to-be Escape 5.0TA Owner (deposit 09/09/2020; Build Sheet Confirmation 04-22-2021; for ETI completion 08/18/2021)
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 15,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
Here are the pics showing AC wires in a conduit.

Not a conduit.
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×