Gas Line for indoor propane heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Gas Line for indoor propane heater

I am wondering if anyone ordered an inside gas line or added one for an indoor heater like Mr. Heater? A lot of folks that boondock use these in the winter since the furnace uses a lot more propane and battery.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Why would the furnace use a lot more propane to heat the same area? Running an unvented gas heater in a confined area is not a good practice IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Actually, it's potential is deadly. Why fix what ain't broke to save an amp?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
These units have been used quite successfully, but you do need to allow for makeup air for combustion. They have a few advantages, they do not use up your battery power, all the heat burned is retained inside thus the use of less propane, and they are quiet. Heck, you can have no power and they still work. I think the high efficiency rate is somewhat negated by having to have a couple windows or vents cracked for adequate ventilation. Most units I have seen will shut off if the oxygen level gets too low.

But, these days with adding solar to ensure the battery stays well charged, with it you would not have to worry so much about draining the battery.

Myself, I just could not see using one, as even if they won't kill you, they certainly are not that healthy. Besides, I like it cool, adds to the snuggling effect.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
I am wondering if anyone ordered an inside gas line or added one for an indoor heater like Mr. Heater? A lot of folks that boondock use these in the winter since the furnace uses a lot more propane and battery.
When we were having our trailer built I briefly entertained having the standard heater left out of the build and installing a Platinum Cat direct vent heater. Common sense prevailed and with the dual six volt batteries we have been more than happy. Scott

Scott, Lori and a dog named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Jim, I know you boondock a lot, and it can get brisk in Quartzite at times in the winter. You have not had an issue with the furnace draining your batteries even in the winter with the low sun angle? Some folks do complain about the furnace kicking on and off all night waking them up, our 21 has the furnace right next to the bed now with the location change.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

I see us having windows cracked and the vent open anyway just to help combat condensation so they will be open whether we use the furnace or Mr Heat Buddy
Old 11-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Jim, I know you boondock a lot, and it can get brisk in Quartzite at times in the winter. You have not had an issue with the furnace draining your batteries even in the winter with the low sun angle? Some folks do complain about the furnace kicking on and off all night waking them up, our 21 has the furnace right next to the bed now with the location change.
As you may have seen me mention, I have spent 4 days camping where temps at night get a bit below freezing, and have never ran out of battery power. Plus, I have never yet had solar, except for a small 40W panel that only rarely gets used.

We do turn our furnace down at night to 9°C ( 50°F) and sleep with lots of cozy blankets. This saves on the furnace running too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you don't wake up in the morning, it's very quiet.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #10

LOL, I understand!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm in Quartzite now, and the nighttime temperatures are going down to the low 30°F. I have 190 watts of solar on the roof, and am using around 14 - 18 amp hours of battery overnight (includes the furnace set at 60°F, reading with LED lighting, and listening to a radio). Adding my morning use (making a pot of coffee using a drip coffee maker & inverter, sometimes toast in an electric toaster, and working a couple of hours on the computer, I use around 30 - 35 amp hours per day.

If it is clear, even with the low angle sun I am usually recharged by the end of the day (this is using a battery monitor that measures actual amp hours in & out (a Bogart Trimetric 2025) rather than the built in Escape monitoring panel or solar controller, which only indicate voltage, and incorrectly indicate that I'm back to 100% by noon. If cloudy, I haul out a portable 160 watt panel that, because it is aimed perpendicular to the sun, produces more than the rooftop panels.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #12

Thanks Jon! That really helps me! I was not sure about the amount of power it would use over the longer night time in the winter. I plan on doing the same with the combination of fixed and portable solar. I am wondering if the Trimetric 2030 would be easy to hook up after the fact since my batteries and controller will be under the bed in the 21?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I guess it depends on whether you have an inverter or not, and where you want to locate the Trimetric. The shunt needs to be as close to the negative pole of the battery as possible. Easy to do if you don't have an inverter since it will likely be wired with #10 wire. With an inverter, the wire size can be much larger (mine is #0 for a 1000 watt inverter) so doing crimp connectors & inserting the shunt can be more difficult. The wire between the shunt & the Trimetric is light weight 4 wire cable so as long as you can find a path, no problems.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I use a Little Buddy heater in my Boler and it works great, but I always have 2 concerns above what has already been mentioned about CO and oxygen depletion. My concerns are around propane leakage, especially a connection from the main tanks on the inside of the trailer, I only use the small 1lb tanks and never have it running when we are sleeping. Also propane produces a lot of moisture during combustion, I really notice the condensation levels increase when I use it in the Boler and add to an already high condensation problem.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
ETI will not install a gas line without having it hooked up. I believe it is not allowed, maybe by code or trailer build requirements. And they cannot just put one anywhere except where they are putting the furnace which apparently has to be in a certain place according to model.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
An important decal.
Attached Thumbnails
CSA sticker.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
ETI will not install a gas line without having it hooked up. I believe it is not allowed, maybe by code or trailer build requirements. And they cannot just put one anywhere except where they are putting the furnace which apparently has to be in a certain place according to model.
Yes, recreational vehicles are not allowed to have any connections inside, with exception of connecting directly to an appliance.

I believe this is to minimize the potential for leaks due to the vibrations in a moving vehicle.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Jim provided an excellent overview of the issues - I see them the same way.

The "Buddy" heaters have a built-in regulator, and thus run on high-pressure propane. I do not believe that a high-pressure line into the trailer interior is acceptable - a one-pound propane cylinder is tolerated, but connecting a bulk supply of high-pressure propane into the interior presents a substantially greater risk. If the heater could be adapted to run on low-pressure propane (see the many discussions of low-pressure outside grills and stoves for details) then a quick-connect with shutoff valve could be installed in the interior...

... but I wouldn't do it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, recreational vehicles are not allowed to have any connections inside, with exception of connecting directly to an appliance.
Perhaps this is in some standards or regulations (such as the applicable CSA standard which was shown earlier, or provincial regulations), but there have been many RVs built with interior quick-connects for a movable stove. Most are tent trailers (which may have different rules than hard-sided trailers), but I have seen a small Livin Lite travel trailer with one as well.

The CSA Z240 standard for RVs is only C$100, if anyone wants to check out the details there.

Of course, not everything sold is legal, and what is operated is another matter entirely.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #20

It could be that the low pressure quick connect is looked at as a device itself.

I know this is the reason all propane lines are run under an RV, with individual lines to appliances.