Going to the the light/dark side - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Going to the the light/dark side

We're sitting in a great RV park just out of Livingston, MT, and after five years traveling in our 19, have decided it's time. I'm prewired for TV, so I want to draw on members' expertise. I'd like to get recommendations on swing-out mounting brackets (and places to purchase), and recommendations on small AC TVs. Are there any out there with built-in DVD players? That would be a nice bonus.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
We're sitting in a great RV park just out of Livingston, MT, and after five years traveling in our 19, have decided it's time. I'm prewired for TV, so I want to draw on members' expertise. I'd like to get recommendations on swing-out mounting brackets (and places to purchase), and recommendations on small AC TVs. Are there any out there with built-in DVD players? That would be a nice bonus.

Bruce
Hi: Bruce Wray... I'm quite partial to our 19" Toshiba w/ built in DVD player. Escape placed our TV arm on the edge of the wall. Staples has a good selection of TV arms...but we got the Escape one for our new 2014 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030665.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
The jensen tv's are suposed to take the shaking from travel but i am no expert and they are a little pricey. They are 12 volt too i think

i have been looking at the forum and there seems to be two good mounts ( cant remember where)
One hangs down from an upper cabinet and the other is an arm that folds back to the wall and locks into place

I am trying to decie if mounting is the way to go
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a mount at Lee Valley Tools, but gave it away after realizing that I didn't want stuff on the walls. The TV is stored under the bed and sits on a counter ( at least that's been the plan for two years since I got it ).
I have this one at home.
Attached Thumbnails
TV.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Are there any out there with built-in DVD players?
Yes, and everything in one package is nice, but I would want Blu-ray and I haven't seen that combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
The jensen tv's are suposed to take the shaking from travel but i am no expert and they are a little pricey. They are 12 volt too i think
Jensen Heavy Duty makes equipment intended for mobile use, and that's what came in my motorhome. The smaller sizes are 12-volt (but the idiots at Damon powered mine from 120V AC), but the larger ones (e.g. 32") are AC-powered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wonder about the claim that certain TVs are more able to take shaking.
It's not like they are full of tubes and soldered wires anymore. Pretty much everything is on a chip.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's not like they are full of tubes and soldered wires anymore. Pretty much everything is on a chip.
I don't think it's so much the vibration, although you could make a unit with better PCB, better solder points, etc to handle vibrations better. I think its more about handling temperature extremes and condensation. The ones meant for the home are more susceptible to that.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post

i have been looking at the forum and there seems to be two good mounts ( cant remember where)
One hangs down from an upper cabinet and the other is an arm that folds back to the wall and locks into place

I am trying to decie if mounting is the way to go
A few good options here:

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

Sorry, the mobile DVD players and TV accessories are at Jensen Heavy Duty, but the TVs are at JensenRVdirect.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Several chips, on printed circuit boards, attached by many wires to a glass display panel. As I recall, Jensen claims their panels are more shock-resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't think it's so much the vibration, although you could make a unit with better PCB, better solder points, etc to handle vibrations better. I think its more about handling temperature extremes and condensation.
I agree.

...but home units might be fine. Since no one rides in their trailer, it's hard to say how harsh the environment might be.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I didn't see any advantage to blu-Ray without a large screen - 22 and under my eyes can't see any difference on a 1080 display.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I didn't see any advantage to blu-Ray without a large screen - 22 and under my eyes can't see any difference on a 1080 display.
A DVD will only deliver a standard-definition (SD) image - 480 lines - no matter how good your screen. I find the SD/HD difference noticeable, but of course that's a matter of individual perception. Even phone screens have more resolution than that now.

Another factor is that if you buy Blu-ray disks - because you have the player and big screen at home - you can't play them in the trailer on a DVD player. Maybe that's not important, but if I'm going to buy equipment I would prefer it to not already be obsolete.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sorry, the mobile DVD players and TV accessories are at Jensen Heavy Duty, but the TVs are at JensenRVdirect.
Okay, the TVs were there, and the links for TVs are still there, but there seem to be no working TV pages. Maybe Jensen discontinued the whole line?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
A DVD will only deliver a standard-definition (SD) image - 480 lines - no matter how good your screen. I find the SD/HD difference noticeable, but of course that's a matter of individual perception. Even phone screens have more resolution than that now.

Another factor is that if you buy Blu-ray disks - because you have the player and big screen at home - you can't play them in the trailer on a DVD player. Maybe that's not important, but if I'm going to buy equipment I would prefer it to not already be obsolete.
I agree. I'll probably build a mini htpc and never mind the discs.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here are the items I have purchased for BlackJack, they both are inexpensive and still functioning after use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and tv/dvd 12v model Amazon.com: NAXA NTD-1552 15.6-Inch Widescreen HD LED TV with Built-in Digital TV Tuner and USB/SD Inputs and DVD Player: Electronics
I installed the Jensen in my prior Escape, it is nice, just wanted to try this one, for half the price it is still working. I leave mine up all the time while towing and it has taken over 8000 miles without issues.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Bruce
Hi: Bruce Wray... The only difference I found between the Toshiba 19" TV sold at the TV dealer, and the one offered at the RV dealer was the price. RV TV's are about $200. more for a "stronger chassis"?
After towing 6 yrs. with the TV locked on the wall every thing still works fine and we switched it to the new 5.0TA and with the King Jack antenna, offered be ETI, works even better!!!King | Simply Better, By Design Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Okay, the TVs were there, and the links for TVs are still there, but there seem to be no working TV pages. Maybe Jensen discontinued the whole line?
I asked them about that earlier this year, and they said they don't sell TVs direct to the public -- so you have to go though cramping world or amazon or some such place. I am still in a quandary about which tv to buy for the new trailer. I would like to get as large a tv as possible even though we don't watch it that much. It is just easier on my eyes. But I believe the depth of the night stand in the 21 is about 22 inches. So may have to stick with a 24" TV. I have been happy with our 19" Jensen, but that is going to the new owner of the Lark.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may want to wait until delivery before deciding where and type tv. A smaller one in the dinette area maybe sufficient. I really like using the night stand for other purposes. Just my .02$ worth after 8 months in my 21' BlackJack.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When it's not perched on a woodsy branch outside or sitting on the shelf I built I keep my Haier 19-incher nested on a pillow in a plastic container under the bed. Otherwise, only watched it once. Don't even know what Blue-ray is. Some Floridian half-mammal?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
TV locatiion in a 21

We installed our 22" vizio TV on a Costco mount that is mounted on the bath wall close to the door. The TV swings around in front of the bath door to give a good view from the dinette and can also be over the bed to not block bath access but allow a fair view from the dinette. When in bed we swing it around and a slight tilt down and then for travel we put a towel over the TV and fold it up against the wall with a bungee holding it secure. Works good for us as we have used it a lot to watch all of the dumb programs on broadcast TV. We'll be in Bandon if anyone wants to look.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote