Has this happened to you? Bathroom Door Lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2021, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
Has this happened to you? Bathroom Door Lock

Have you been "locked out" of the bathroom of your ET?
Ironically it happened to both myself & wife on the same trip. In the process of leaving the washroom, on separate occasions we somehow & inadvertently engaged the lock button & closed the door behind us. Unfortunately there is no easy way that I'm aware of to release the lock nor can you unscrew the latch handle from the galley. It took a 2 handed hard pull to force open the door. Not wanting to ever have to deal with it again I solved this problem by carefully drilling a 3/32 hole into the centre of the lock button and installed a 3/32 hairpin style retainer. The retainer can be removed if needed, highly unlikely in our case, the door opens & closes without issue. Problem solved, no more lockouts, at-least of this type. See attached images.

"opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one"
Attached Thumbnails
Door_Latch_1.jpg   Door_Latch_2.jpg   Door_Latch_3.jpg  
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:31 AM   #2
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I have just learned that there's a "lock" on the bathroom door.

I am chuckling over this discovery simply because of the thought processes that must have gone into creating a plastic, pushbutton latching mechanism WITH A LOCK, to secure what...privacy in a travel trailer?

And no doubt it would be my loving wife that would discover it, accidentally and thus leaving me with the task of remedying the problem.

So thank you for providing a fix.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In 12 years of Escape ownership I too just learned you could lock the bathroom door. Something to be cautious of and have a look at I guess, but not something that needs to be used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
In an effort to be lighthearted and totally in jest, although this is a serious problem, I submit this to you guys. Yeah this is off topic and not entirely suitable for everyday conversation.

But I did want to point out this. This is a quote.

"Not everyone has a butthole: There’s a condition known as imperforate anus, which affects about one in 5,000 births and can mean the rectum simply ends in a “blind pouch” An NBC headline, “Holy Crap! Chinese Dude Lived 55 Years Without An Anus.”"

To read this story, you must have an account or put your browser into reader mode. I promise, no more of this.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...-your-butthole
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Last week I was looking for a parking spot at the super market in ABQ but the place was packed with cars so I kept driving around until a space opened up. I then saw a 20-30-ish years old tough young panhandler harrassing an elderly white haired lady who had just exited her car, about to go inside to shop. She looked distressed. It really pissed me off.

I found a parking spot but before getting out of the truck needed to check my wallet to be sure I had enough cash - didn't want to use the card for a six dollar item. Getting out of the truck - still had wallet in hand when that same panhandler came rushing over to me. I knew instantly what he wanted but I was in no mood and before he spoke I angrily demanded he "Back off!" My implication was clear - this wasn't a negotiation. Usually they back off and say God bless you, etc etc.

He took exception to my tone and lunged for my wallet! He hit my hand but missed the wallet. Whoa - game changer! He turned menacingly toward me and prompted an immediate response to that, so I said, "Oh, you want to hurt me?"

He took half a step toward me and I said, "Come on, let's do it. You'll see what will happen." I was not thinking, full of rushing adrenalin.

He was five foot seven and young, I am a foot taller and in my late seventies. Everything happened so fast my only thought was to crush that bug.

Evidently my challenge surprised him. The aggressive, intimidating panhandler suddenly realized that he was the one intimidated. He immediately ran off.

Moral of the story? Watch yourself because the buttholes are out there.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #6

OMG!

Glad that worked out. I have mentioned this before, but I will again. One possible solution, if you remember, is to bring a can of Halt!

This is what the postal delivery people use around here. We use it for coyotes and dogs, but not very often. It sprays 20 feet in a controllable stream, contains pepper spray, the same they use on grizzly bears and is easy to carry.

We don't carry it unless people are reporting trouble, but we do keep in close. And there is one in the trailer, along with bear spray. You can aim this spray and it will shut down a person without harming them. It costs about $8.
Attached Thumbnails
halt.jpg  
Old 06-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is one solution to the problem...or you could just use the unlock button within the main button.
Attached Thumbnails
8AFE7A2F-457C-4CA4-916B-926BD01BAB29.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE keep a screwdriver that fits there, it is our spare key!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
That is one solution to the problem...or you could just use the unlock button within the main button.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Ours will automatically unlock when the latch is pushed in while closing the door.
May be too much space between the latch and striker plate for this to happen reliably.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Thanks for the spray repellant heads up, Uncle Tim. Went looking for Halt! locally around here but no one knew what I was talking about. I have been thinking about buying Bear Repellant. I walk my dog on a leash every evening but we pass several fenced in yards on our dusty road that have extremely hostile, aggressive, big dogs and I know one of these days they will climb or break down the fence to attack Josie. Bear repellant is surely too lethal (and expensive). Just found Halt on eBay and ordered a can.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Thanks for the spray repellant heads up, Uncle Tim. Went looking for Halt! locally around here but no one knew what I was talking about. I have been thinking about buying Bear Repellant. I walk my dog on a leash every evening but we pass several fenced in yards on our dusty road that have extremely hostile, aggressive, big dogs and I know one of these days they will climb or break down the fence to attack Josie. Bear repellant is surely too lethal (and expensive). Just found Halt on eBay and ordered a can.
Unfortunately the threat is all too real. My father-in-law was mauled when he was a mail carrier by a pitbull who lifted a gate latch with his nose. I've seen at least three instances of unleased dogs attacking other dogs including one that even scaled a fence to attack my neighbors dog. My sister who walks her dogs regularly has had to subdue at least two other dogs with spray that have gone on the attack. She NEVER walks without it. Sounds like you should carry it for humans and dogs, Myron.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Ours will automatically unlock when the latch is pushed in while closing the door.
May be too much space between the latch and striker plate for this to happen reliably.
Same with mine.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
My dad used to carry a small spray can of Right Guard for those obnoxious dogs. He said it deterred them very well.

Dad never needed spray for obnoxious humans. One time a couple of toughs got physical with him while he was using a pay phone. When the cops showed up a couple of minutes later, they were both on the ground unconscious and Dad (in his early 70s) had only a sore ear.

One problem with bear spray is its strength, such that if the wind is wrong it can come back and get the spray-er.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
OMG!

Glad that worked out. I have mentioned this before, but I will again. One possible solution, if you remember, is to bring a can of Halt!

This is what the postal delivery people use around here. We use it for coyotes and dogs, but not very often. It sprays 20 feet in a controllable stream, contains pepper spray, the same they use on grizzly bears and is easy to carry.

We don't carry it unless people are reporting trouble, but we do keep in close. And there is one in the trailer, along with bear spray. You can aim this spray and it will shut down a person without harming them. It costs about $8.
Over $37 in Canada on Amazon.ca
Attached Thumbnails
B10D06CA-83CA-46BF-8681-A13FF85D4EFF.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

It will work Myron. I used it twice, once on a bike trip across Wisconsin, on a pack of three dogs. I sprayed the first one, the big shepard, and they all turned around and left. The nice thing is, it is very small and easily carried.

I did it again while bike riding a Colorado canyon (Left Hand) on a big shepard and he just turned around. No problem. I don't just discharge it. They have to earn it. Twice in 40 years.

Both times I hit them exactly where I aimed. They do not recommend it for bears, but it is reported to work fine. I use real bear spray, which I have never had to discharge.

Test it out by spraying a little, just to start. Stay safe man!
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Exclamation Child in locked bathroom

My girlfriend now my wife we just moved in together in a new apartment. She brought the grandkids over. The 2 1/2-year-old decided to go to the bathroom and proceeded to lock the door. When she finished she couldn't get out and started yelling. No amount of instructions on how to unlock the door were effective. The soon to be grandfather had no tools in apartment all still in storage. A frantic call to the rental office brought two maintenance men running yes running this was not their first time. In approximately one minute they had taken the lock off and open the door. To reveal a 2 1/2-year-old crying. She has no memory of the incident but her older sister does and reminds her of it occasionally.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Made me look! I knew there was a bathroom door lock and I think I knew that mine unlocks when you close it if locked from the inside. But I didn't know about the little unlock button in the center from the outside!

My locked out story is the dog stepping on the lock and locking me out of my mother's station wagon when I was a teenager visiting my boyfriend's house!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Over $37 in Canada on Amazon.ca

Kimber Pepper Blaster is a good option. Easy to carry.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Kimber Pepper Blaster is a good option. Easy to carry.

If you do purchase anything, make sure the label indicates that it is for use against animals, not humans, if you intend to cross the border into Canada.
Bear spray is legal here. Mace is not.