hatch latch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I understand the purpose of a standard battery disconnect, and that solar circumvents this. My understanding of jennykatz's question was for a disconnect of the solar-specific battery leads. Perhaps I misunderstood her query. If not then I believe my assessment stands.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the stove turned 90 degrees is clockwise resulting the in the larger burner towards the rear and the cover now is facing the front of the trailer. The cover is easily removed, held in place by 4-6 screws on 2 hinges screwed into the counter top. If you are contemplating turning the stove you may want to have the cover remain unattached to prevent having visible holes along the stove side. These holes are not as visible in the stock position.
With the batteries located under the side dinette and easily accessed, adding a future inverter is easily accomplished.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My hatch has 10 rivets ....not likely to match up inverted so won't be drilling them out to invert the hatch cover. Less is more.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #24

Myron,
Would the hatch door hang freely in the down open position or would the trailer curvature keep it from doing so? Hypothetically...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Set down and look at your trailer and count the holes in it. There are a lot of them.
Dave

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Maybe the installers "thought train" is that, a top hinged access door is less likely to attract water run-off, rain etc than a bottom hinged access door.
An interesting point... although the seal is usually the same all the way around, and the hinge is outside of the seal, the hinge on the bottom might keep water from draining away from the seal area properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Myron,
Would the hatch door hang freely in the down open position or would the trailer curvature keep it from doing so? Hypothetically...
The hatches are in flat areas of the lower portion, and the lower portion only curves inward as you go further down, so I don't see how body curvature could interfere with either opening a hatch door 180 degrees, or opening it so it hangs straight down (a bit less than 180 degrees).

I have similar hatches on a trailer (held by the same style of catch as is the subject of this thread). They all open up or to one side, flat against the wall, and would go a bit further than 180 degrees if not for the hatch hitting the catch and the knob of the latch hitting the wall. Swinging down, they would open just as far, but on an Escape the body curving away from any protruding latch handle would let them open even further.

A hinge on the side can be convenient, because it doesn't need a catch to hold it open and typically only needs to be opened 90 degrees to be out of the way. With the construction of these hatches and latches, I would probably only use a side hinge position on a door which is taller than it is wide (like the propane compartment door that I have on that trailer which is hinged on the side).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Imagine my surprise when the latch for the hatch just fell off all by itself when it wasn't even holding up the hatch. Good thing it happened in my driveway while I was by the trailer than on the highway.

I was a little surprised to see that it had only been installed with double backed tape despite there being the provision for using screws.

You can see in the photo how road dust works its way in and destroys the effectiveness of the adhesive.
Once the dirt is in it's too late, but for a new trailer perhaps a bead of caulk would be wise.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Myron,
I'm not sure hinges work if curved.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm not sure hinges work if curved.
That is given since the hatch assembly is one piece and pre assembled, I was inferring to the fiberglass exterior perhaps not allowing the hatch to lay flat...
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nope, not an issue far as I can see.
Attached Thumbnails
hatch2.jpg  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Nope, not an issue far as I can see.
Checked ours .Still good . If it comes loose will clean it off and reattach with new. 3 m tape . Had to reattach my F-250 that was coming loose on one side on truck . They are exspensive to replace . Their was some kind of sealant to put on top of emblem , but so far haven't gotten it . LMC Ford truck parts had this emblem sealant . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was waiting to see any other reports, however our latch has two rivets. Also have a battery cutoff and solar.
If I was to mechanically fasten, this is the way I would go. Though my preference if even wanting a latch would be VHB.

My ultimate preference is the way I mounted this hatch in my 19.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My ultimate preference is the way I mounted this hatch in my 19...
There's the bottom-hinged hatch: apparently it hangs down fine, and I assume it doesn't have a problem with the seal.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It seals the same all the way around. I did once to a tweak on the latches to have them pull the door against the seal a bit better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote