Have you used this bike rack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Have you used this bike rack?

Forum,

I would like to tote a couple of older bikes with us to use in campgrounds. Swagman has a RV bike rack that appears to clear the existing spare trailer tire without reloading it.
https://www.swagman.net/collections/.../original-3-rv

Does anyone on the forum have experience with this rack, and if so, does it indeed clear the spare tire?

thanks
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Yes, I have one and it clears the spare. I’ve carried two bikes but not three and it works fine for me.

I did make a significant modification that I think is necessary. The upright comes in two pieces joined together with a plastic collar and some bolts. That is a weak link and not secure enough. I removed the collar and had the pieces welded together. Much better. I think it came in two pieces for easier shipping. I don’t see any reason to take it apart.

It comes with a screw pin that holds the shank tightly in the receiver so there isn’t any play. This is good except that it also needs a lock washer to keep the pin from working loose.

It isn’t the fastest rack to load the bikes on and off because the clasp part has to be screwed on and off, but it doesn’t take too long.

All in all, with the weld and the lock washer I am happy with it.

By the way, I bought it thru etrailer.com. They have it at a better price than the site you referenced.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
MVA

Swagman Traveler XC2

Thanks for the reply; I did not realize that the two sections were attached with a plastic collar. Having to weld tubing after purchasing a rack would be annoying.

OK, have folks on the forum purchased the Swagman Traveler XC2? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJK252...ogi&th=1&psc=1

Same concerns - does it clear the spare tire?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
1UP Rules!

This is where you definitely get what you pay for. A platform rack that is RV rated and super easy to use is the bomb! I tried the Swagman and hated how it was difficult to release- never mind it rubbing the paint off the frame where the hook grabbed. Then tried another rack and someone following came alongside and said "your bike is about to fall off!" Then tried another one where the wheels were supported by arms. Ended up settling with an NDA on that one.

And remember there is a difference between RV rated and trailer rated with the severe pendulum action back there.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #5
MVA

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experiences, both good and poor. It is very helpful in guiding my plan.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Thanks for the reply; I did not realize that the two sections were attached with a plastic collar. Having to weld tubing after purchasing a rack would be annoying.

OK, have folks on the forum purchased the Swagman Traveler XC2? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJK252...ogi&th=1&psc=1

Same concerns - does it clear the spare tire?

Thanks
I have this rack and it does clear the spare on my 5.0 TA. As others have mentioned they are hard to release...I now use a channel lock wrench to pop it free...easy peasy! It has rubbed a bit of paint off the bikes but it is rock solid both on the camper and our vehicles. Great rack and not the crazy price of the 1UP.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
1UP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This is where you definitely get what you pay for. A platform rack that is RV rated and super easy to use is the bomb! I tried the Swagman and hated how it was difficult to release- never mind it rubbing the paint off the frame where the hook grabbed. Then tried another rack and someone following came alongside and said "your bike is about to fall off!" Then tried another one where the wheels were supported by arms. Ended up settling with an NDA on that one.

And remember there is a difference between RV rated and trailer rated with the severe pendulum action back there.
I'll second the 1UP, it is pricier, but will be the last rack you ever buy. Use ours on the trailer and also on truck. It's well made. Since Covid started, I've been seeing more and more of them on vehicles, so there could be a little wait.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2023 E19
I've started to look at bike racks as well. I'm hoping to use my future E19 as a home base for a lot of extended road/gravel cycling trips. Everything I've read suggests that despite the price premium, the 1UP rack is the way to go. Buy once, cry once.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Depending on what you ride it may be more economical to search locally for a used bike rack that, despite not being "trailer/rv rated" will accomplish the task. We use an older Thule rack made with heavy steel tubing that has held up very well (found on Craig's list for $50). Our tandem rides on top of our SUV on a Yakima tandem-specific mount (too much bouncing/sway on the back of the trailer). As others have commented, a tray mount model would be my choice if I were traveling with multi-thousand dollar bikes or heavier e-bikes.

The original guy behind 1-UP has a new company in Colorado turning out American made racks that are exceptionally well designed and built, however, be prepared to pay accordingly and for a lengthy wait for delivery. (https://quikrstuff.com). The e-bike ramp may appeal to many.
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We have the Swagman Dispatch, looking at their website I bought ours about 2 years ago and the price has gone up a good bit but still less expensive then 1UP.
I really like it, we own decent bikes like Diamondbacks, Treks and GT's but don't care if they get a scratch.

Enjoy the journey,
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

Yes, the one with tire supports are best. Less wobble and bounce.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:07 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLSB View Post
I'll second the 1UP, it is pricier, but will be the last rack you ever buy. Use ours on the trailer and also on truck. It's well made. Since Covid started, I've been seeing more and more of them on vehicles, so there could be a little wait.

Larry
I'll third the 1Up SuperDuty. I've had Swagman, Thule, Yakima racks before, this 1Up will likely be the last rack I ever buy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:16 AM   #13
Site Team

p.s. our Escape has traveled 1000s of miles with a 60 and 40 lb ebike (sans batteries) on said 1Up behind the Escape.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
My 1Up Superduty rack just came the other day. I am very impressed with the quality and the ruggedness. Real money, but It will be hold our little Trek Marlin 5s bikes securely on the back of the 21NE when we pick up in May.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #15
MVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I'll third the 1Up SuperDuty. I've had Swagman, Thule, Yakima racks before, this 1Up will likely be the last rack I ever buy.
John,

Given your experience, how did the Swagman, Thule, Yakima racks fail?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I've started to look at bike racks as well. I'm hoping to use my future E19 as a home base for a lot of extended road/gravel cycling trips. Everything I've read suggests that despite the price premium, the 1UP rack is the way to go. Buy once, cry once.
Couldn't agree more on the 1-UP. Best bike rack I have ever had and I have tried just about all of them. Hurts to pay the price at first, but after you use it you have forgotten the pain of the initial price, but continue to enjoy the rack.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
as much as I hate the price..I think I'll pony up for the 1Up.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have that rack works fine. i pad my bike where it clamps on-I've gotten a little rub. but my bikes are not crazy expensive- i would up grade to the "1 up" if i was a big bike enthusiast but for me the less expensive rack has worked fine.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:08 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
John,

Given your experience, how did the Swagman, Thule, Yakima racks fail?
lets see, the Swagman XC2 we had got all rusty after a few years, and the rubber covers on the 'hooks' that secure the bike frame crumbled. the rusty adjustment screws became impossible to use

had a fancy big yakima 4-bike, it used rubber straps to secure the bike's top bar to its rubber covered support things, all that rubber rotted out after a few years.

replaced that one with a fancy bike Thule 4-bike that had a swing out feature so you could access the tailgate, was using it with an E150 van. first the screw that secured the swingout bent so it was really hard to tighten, then the hinges for the swingout bent, then the rubber/plastic things that secured the bikes all rotted out.

Most recently, we tried a Swagman Escapee. the locks on the sliding hooks that secured the bikes jammed within 2 years such that the keys didn't work in them even if I lubricated the locks... but the locks didn't really matter, you could force them and slide the hooks upwards to release the bike. each bike was held by only one wheel clamp, the other wheel was held in place with a strap, and oh yeah, the plastic on those straps was funky after a year or two.

now, I will be the first to admit, none of my cars, trucks, or racks get to live in a garage, they live outdoors (we have mostly mild weather year around). the racks were generally on the vehicles 24/7.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
as much as I hate the price..I think I'll pony up for the 1Up.
If you go for the 1-UP Bike Rack two options I have found very useful is the EZPull release handle and the Rack Stash. The EZPull makes it much easier to lower the rack etc. The Rack Stash I found to be very useful for storing the bike rack when not in use. Makes putting the bike rack away in the garage easy and takes minimal space
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote