Help - last chance to add extras to our new 17A - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Harriet, picture this: it's the middle of the night, pitch dark, pouring like crazy outside and you need to pee. Why thrown on rain gear to tramp down to the campground facilities when you could have a toilet in your rig? Don't get me wrong, my wife and I prefer to use campground facilities, especially for showering. But in the middle of the night, which is most every night, no way. We use our camper's toilet and climb back into bed. -Tom
I think there are just a few of us “17A” types who most definitely do not want a plumbed toilet in a small camper, LOL! I guess coming from tent camping for so long, this is our perfect next step. Maybe when we are a little older we will appreciate our own “loo” but the thought of it right now just really creeps me out, haha. I know I am in a minority on this.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I would consider the Air conditioner unless your sure you will not need it.
also looks like that unit has the inverter.If thats the case I would add the factory solar. you could just use a portable panel. the roof has wood at location where the go power panel will mount. A after market panel may or may not mount to those brackets locations . With inverter and 6 volt batteries the solar would complete the system .
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Maybe when we are a little older we will appreciate our own “loo” but the thought of it right now just really creeps me out, haha. I know I am in a minority on this.
Don't know why it creeps you out. I changed a multitude of dirty diapers and at least when draining the black water tank, I get to wear gloves.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I would consider the Air conditioner unless your sure you will not need it.
also looks like that unit has the inverter.If thats the case I would add the factory solar. you could just use a portable panel. the roof has wood at location where the go power panel will mount. A after market panel may or may not mount to those brackets locations . With inverter and 6 volt batteries the solar would complete the system .
Thank you, this is so specific. I will relay it to my husband. Yes we do definitely have the inverter. I’ve been wondering what the heck is that for. I mean, I know it’s to convert DC to AC so you can run standard appliances, but I just couldn’t imagine how we would find that useful. I suppose unless you have solar it's not so useful because you would drain the battery too fast to be practical.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't know why it creeps you out. I changed a multitude of dirty diapers and at least when draining the black water tank, I get to wear gloves.
LOL, me too, cloth even!

Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
LOL, me too, cloth even!

People are the same about emptying a porta potti and that's not a big deal, either, (though hint, it is way less disgusting if you do it right before the next trip instead of as soon as you get home... I won't go into details but things break down over time.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
People are the same about emptying a porta potti and that's not a big deal, either, (though hint, it is way less disgusting if you do it right before the next trip instead of as soon as you get home... I won't go into details but things break down over time.)
That... is... hilarious!!! I suppose the jostling of the vehicle doesn't help matters. UGH. Well all of this is why we aren’t into dealing with our own bathroom, and will stay where there are facilities. We love tent camping and are not trying to get too far away from what we love, just to have a warmer quieter "tent" with a real bed.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #28
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Perfect answer, thanks - that really clarifies it. I think since we are going to see if we even want a solar panel, are very capable of installing our own, are prewired, AND can get similar for slightly less (it’s $840 to have it installed) - we feel comfortable not getting it right now. That was super helpful!!
Bob (padlin) said it well! I also didn't realize the price for ETI's solar panel went up about $200 USD from last year. Totally understand your option to add later for cheaper if needed.

Another item I didn't see you mention is the surge protector. ETI's surge protector does so much more than protect agains surges. Key features:

• Over/Under voltage Protection
• Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
• Accidental 240V Protection
• Surge Failure Indicator
• Surge Protection: 3-Mode / 1,790J / 44,000A
• Amperage Meter Display
• AC Frequency Protection
• Adjustable Time Delay (15 or 136 secs.)
• Remote Scrolling Display

Highly recommend this, too. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
That... is... hilarious!!! I suppose the jostling of the vehicle doesn't help matters. UGH. Well all of this is why we aren’t into dealing with our own bathroom, and will stay where there are facilities. We love tent camping and are not trying to get too far away from what we love, just to have a warmer quieter "tent" with a real bed.
I totally get where you’re coming from on the indoor toilet, for what it’s worth! We have a 19, which of course comes with one, but after almost 2 years my husband still won’t use it. He too is creeped out by the idea of “defiling” our beautiful trailer. I’ve pretty much gotten over it and am happy to have it, and I now know there’s nothing to the dumping process. But then again, I’m also a river runner and have had to deal with a loaded porta potty many, many times. Far worse than an RV dump, believe me!

Anyway, if I didn’t have a 19 and it was just me, I’d probably have a 17A. I’d rather have the space than an indoor toilet, for sure! But with the 19, it is pretty darn nice not to have to brave the dark and weather in the middle of the night. Either way, I’m sure you’re gonna love your 17A!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Bob (padlin) said it well! I also didn't realize the price for ETI's solar panel went up about $200 USD from last year. Totally understand your option to add later for cheaper if needed.

Another item I didn't see you mention is the surge protector. ETI's surge protector does so much more than protect agains surges. Key features:

• Over/Under voltage Protection
• Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
• Accidental 240V Protection
• Surge Failure Indicator
• Surge Protection: 3-Mode / 1,790J / 44,000A
• Amperage Meter Display
• AC Frequency Protection
• Adjustable Time Delay (15 or 136 secs.)
• Remote Scrolling Display

Highly recommend this, too. -Bea
Thank you, yes, the surge protector is included in our inventory one. We are very lucky, I like the way that we just stepped into this nicely appointed camper and had very few choices we had to make. I especially like that they put together such nice style choices for us because that would have been hard for me to choose.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I totally get where you’re coming from on the indoor toilet, for what it’s worth! We have a 19, which of course comes with one, but after almost 2 years my husband still won’t use it. He too is creeped out by the idea of “defiling” our beautiful trailer. I’ve pretty much gotten over it and am happy to have it, and I now know there’s nothing to the dumping process. But then again, I’m also a river runner and have had to deal with a loaded porta potty many, many times. Far worse than an RV dump, believe me!

Anyway, if I didn’t have a 19 and it was just me, I’d probably have a 17A. I’d rather have the space than an indoor toilet, for sure! But with the 19, it is pretty darn nice not to have to brave the dark and weather in the middle of the night. Either way, I’m sure you’re gonna love your 17A!
Thank you, I feel you understand exactly! It’s more of a visual thing probably than anything else, I just love the appearance of the no-bathroom version and we can live without it. So happy to get our nice little camper soon!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No matter what choices you make, you can not go wrong. Escape Trailers are a quality product and with proper maintenance, will last a long while. After use you may decide what items you like and do not like. You can always sell your Escape and order another one, they sell a lot quicker than it takes to acquire a new one. It is not hard to accomplish, I have done it 3 times now...........
Old 06-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Regret that I did not order the Zamp plug for an extra portable solar panel.Got 160w on the roof and it has been good.However will be camping under a lot of trees here in BC so a portable is on my list.Speaking for myself, we added whatever we thought we would need so we did not have to mess around with trying to install ourselves afterwords.To each their own, there is a lot of lot of handy people out there that are good at electric and plumbing.
Myself, I have other talents.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No matter what choices you make, you can not go wrong. Escape Trailers are a quality product and with proper maintenance, will last a long while. After use you may decide what items you like and do not like. You can always sell your Escape and order another one, they sell a lot quicker than it takes to acquire a new one. It is not hard to accomplish, I have done it 3 times now...........
Very nice! Yes I notice a strong theme among the forum of people a) sticking with Escape, and b) going up through the models. Our next leap would be if we ever got tired of not having a bathroom!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
Regret that I did not order the Zamp plug for an extra portable solar panel.Got 160w on the roof and it has been good.However will be camping under a lot of trees here in BC so a portable is on my list.Speaking for myself, we added whatever we thought we would need so we did not have to mess around with trying to install ourselves afterwords.To each their own, there is a lot of lot of handy people out there that are good at electric and plumbing.
Myself, I have other talents.
Very helpful info! Our inventory one has that Zamp thing already installed. My ideal camping spot would not be out in the full sun. So yes to portable panels. John is super-handy with mechanical/electrical/plumbing, so a roof panel install would be no trouble for him should we want to go that way one day but I’m liking the portable idea a lot.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Interested in what is in the 17 storage box, too.

To clarify: The battery(s) location on a 17 is on the rear bumper, which is extended beyond the body just for that purpose. The 17 tends to be nose heavy, so the batteries are well-placed at the rear. That's why the WFCO converter is inside near the rear, under the dinette seat, so it's close to the battery(s).

The front storage box on a 17 has nothing in it. You get to put whatever you want in it (until you weigh the tongue, and then find that too much heavy stuff gets your tongue weight up in the neighborhood of 400 lbs. - AMHIK).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobekey6@gmail.com View Post
We picked up our 17A six weeks ago.

We also got the hitch wheel, which has proven easier to use than I imagined, on flat concrete where I need to swing the trailer in place once I park it in our driveway. Probably will be much harder to move on gravel or dirt.
Does it substitute for the pad on the jack? How big a wheel? I put a hitchwheel on my 15A and still can't move it around in the garage so not sure it would be useful. Is it easily removed? Do you have to remove it for travel?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #38

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17A
The hitch wheel substitutes for the pad. We use the pad when camping and the wheel for parking it in the driveway and swinging the trailer into place. I don't mind moving heavy things -- for short distances. You just have to make sure the wheel is pointed in the right direction. I suspect the hitch wheel we got from Escape is similar to what you have already. Might not be for everybody. It'd be great if they made a hitch wheel with a larger tire, but I haven't seen one. We do remove it when traveling. It attaches easily with a clip.
bobekey6@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #39

Thanks. Probably the same as what I have- which I can't easily move the trailer with, anyway.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
My two cents: You say you like to keep things simple then get the solar panel. Do it now and forget it. You'll be glad you did it. Also, interior wiring for possible future exterior portable solar port. Include foot flush toilet. Two-way hot water heater. Winterizing T-valve. Toilet shut-off valve. And any interior wiring installed you may want for future use like additional lighting, outlets, etc. -Tom
I agree with every thing you said. We love our solar panel. We cannot always be with electricity and even low sunlight has recharged our batteries.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote