Hidden Space-New Cubbie - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hidden Space-New Cubbie

Hidden spaces make me want to open them up and see what's inside.

There looked like there should be room for another cubbie under the existing ones so I held my breath and started cutting. I knew that there was a possibility that there would be something using that space that might prevent it from being used as a cubbie. My Plan B was just to put a cover plate on it if it wasn't usable.

I made a drilling template for the opening and a very fine blade to make the cuts.

Perfect, empty space and larger inside than the existing cubbies. Just need a short piece of vinyl trim to finish it.

Exactly what I needed for a bunch of misc. electrical stuff.

I told my wife, you've had dibs on every other storage space, this one's mine.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0008_resize.jpg   IMGP0009_resize.jpg   IMGP0010_resize.jpg   rotated2_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What's the rest of the story?

Will you box this opening in or leave as is? I'm curious....what's next?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Dang, don’t have that in a 5.0. Looks good, nice job so far!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:44 PM   #4

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Inspiring!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Hidden spaces make me want to open them up and see what's inside.

There looked like there should be room for another cubbie under the existing ones so I held my breath and started cutting. I knew that there was a possibility that there would be something using that space that might prevent it from being used as a cubbie. My Plan B was just to put a cover plate on it if it wasn't usable.
I have idly looked at that space and had the same thoughts on occasion, but I don't know that I'd have ever taken "actual-action". You are clearly a bold and courageous man!

During our home remodel, I learned that the drywall guys in 1987 were happy to take advantage of the spaces between the studs in interior walls to ferret away sheets of scrap. In one case, I needed to set a remodel electrical box and was fortunate that the cavity only contained about three pieces of 1/2" board, so I was able to work around it.

They also put an amazing amount of material in the open areas surrounding a gas fireplace installation. I mentioned all this to the drywall guy I hired to do some work on my remodel and he winced; "I hate that" was all he said, as apparently it's pretty common.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I have idly looked at that space and had the same thoughts on occasion, but I don't know that I'd have ever taken "actual-action". You are clearly a bold and courageous man!

During our home remodel, I learned that the drywall guys in 1987 were happy to take advantage of the spaces between the studs in interior walls to ferret away sheets of scrap. In one case, I needed to set a remodel electrical box and was fortunate that the cavity only contained about three pieces of 1/2" board, so I was able to work around it.

They also put an amazing amount of material in the open areas surrounding a gas fireplace installation. I mentioned all this to the drywall guy I hired to do some work on my remodel and he winced; "I hate that" was all he said, as apparently it's pretty common.
At least you found building material. We remodeled our bathrooms a few years ago and found about 15 empty cans of Schlitz and Bergie Beer stuck between the studs when we redid the drywall! They were apparently from the original build over 50 years ago. At least your guys were hopefully sober!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have bought extra trim from my last new hole modification. The trim really finished the install....
Old 07-09-2022, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 E19
There is quit a bit of space to be found, if people follow the people like you. I've got one up my sleeve. Someday I'll get to it. House is getting my attention lately.

Ipe porch decking.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Yup, one can pull that whole panel out on the earlier Escapes. I wanted hanging room for coats, so redesigned it as half height with bigger cubbies to hold slippers at the bottom.
Attached Images

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #10

There are limits as to how much of the Escape that I can tear apart without my wife flinching. But I'm happy to have my own dedicated cubbie.

The opening shows that the bathroom wall is frame and panel construction rather than solid. The recent incident with the crooked door opening sort of pointed in that direction. Top piece of wood not quite in position in a jig, zap goes the stapler and one crooked door opening.

I didn't have a piece of vinyl trim and I'm not going to be by ETI for awhile so I improvised as I don't like the sill being only 1/8" plywood. I had some wider white arborite trim. I cut the lip down and put a bit of stain on it, it'll do for now.

I made the cubbie opening the same size as the others but now that I can see the space available I'm thinking that I might do more. The space is 14 1/2" h x 12"w x 7" deep. I might consider a taller opening or an opening almost down to the floor with a door. More than one possibility.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0013rotate.jpg   IMGP0014_resize.jpg   IMGP0015rotate_resize.jpg  
Old 07-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I might consider a taller opening or an opening almost down to the floor with a door. More than one possibility.

Ron
What you gonna put in there?
Old 07-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
With the taper of the sidewall on the 2014, I was limited to 3 inches or so at the bottom of the wall. Which is perfect for my camper slippers!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post

Sometimes it is neat. We did a remodel, & I found a liberty head dime in each corner. Another house on Martha's Vineyard reshingle job 1983ish, had all the names & date of the guys who shingled it before 1930! House was RIGHT on the water. Cedar shingles 50+ years. I did a owner Mod, who wanted to be able to use a big drop-in Jacuzzi tub as a shower! Pre pressure treated & all the sealers now days. Signed my name. 20+ yrs later I was the one to pull the tub(cast iron) & rebuild & re-tile.....There my name & the date.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Speaking of hidden spaces, has anyone opened up and checked inside the space above the little cubby on both sides of the bed in a 5.0?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Head of 5.0 bed.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	63654
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Speaking of hidden spaces, has anyone opened up and checked inside the space above the little cubby on both sides of the bed in a 5.0?

Attachment 63654
The opening and storage in the cubby was not working for us, awkward to use, so I redesigned it to be way more useful. The final version does include a USB port/outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC8797.jpg  
Old 07-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
The opening and storage in the cubby was not working for us, awkward to use, so I redesigned it to be way more useful. The final version does include a USB port/outlet.
So nice…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Cubby club member

Me too! Done awhile ago. Useful spot to place electronics for charging.

Details here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...bby-19766.html
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I knew 5.0TA owners had done some mods in that area but I missed yours.

Very classy and I can see that it would be so much better and useful than a standard cubbie.

Ron
Old 07-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Chris R - That is an awesome modification! Was that part of your build sheet, or did you design and construct it yourself? If the latter, do you have the steps documented or memorialized in a post?
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
Chris R - That is an awesome modification! Was that part of your build sheet, or did you design and construct it yourself? If the latter, do you have the steps documented or memorialized in a post?
Sorry for taking so long to respond

The existing corner cubbys are held in with 4-5 screws, remove them and then you should be able to wiggle the unit out. I was going to reuse the old ones, but it was easier to start from scratch. I did use the old ones as templates for size and shape. I did make a cardboard template of the new version. Determining what works for you is important.
We wanted an easily assessable shelve for clock, book, etc. when lying down, so the new design did that for us.
The pics below show the stages of construction including the cardboard template. Glue, clamps, pin nailer, material and imagination. The shelf is 3/4 inch plywood with Formica top and aluminum edging (matches the other shelves/counter in the trailer). The final also has a USB outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
frog1 1.jpg   frog1 2.jpg   frog1 3.jpg   frog1 4.jpg   frog1.jpg