Hidden Spaces - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hidden Spaces

So there's about 18 cabinets plus closet plus drawers in the new 21. My wife generously conceded the use of one of them for me to use as a tool storage space.

I removed the back of the lowest cabinet under the furnace. I have to say that ETI is putting things together a bit more firmly than they used to. On the 19 I could pull a panel like that off just with my fingers. A few staples and a few drops of glue are pretty easy to wiggle apart without damaging the panel. Now they are using a more generous amount of construction adhesive. So the panel didn't survive. No biggie.

There's a lot more space than it looks. I have trays of tools, a tool bag, all sorts of misc. electrical spares and even my torque wrench fits in there.

One photo is taken looking aft towards the wheel well. Not the same kind of space there as in the 19 which made a good place for the storage of umm, long objects.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.JPG   IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will find room for another cubbie in the tower at the bottom....
Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #3

For a minute I couldn't figure out what the tower was.

Yes, I already noted that there were possibilities for both the top and bottom. Can't have too many cubbies for misc. little things.

Ron
Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So now you're making me wonder if I should cut open this area and create a new storage place for tools. It would, at the very least, open up hidden utility lines. My under sink area is very boxed in.
Attached Thumbnails
store1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

There are wheel wells behind there....open the door and look outside.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For a minute I couldn't figure out what the tower was.

Yes, I already noted that there were possibilities for both the top and bottom. Can't have too many cubbies for misc. little things.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... I can't figure this out... they're hidden!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

I have been searching in vain for a build picture that indicates the space I need to see (post#4) before I do any cutting there, or before I rip out the interior paneling under sink to confirm the job is worth doing.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #8

I believe Ron in BC described hidden storage in his old E19...
Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

I thought so too, but can not find that thread.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #10

Here you go http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...aces-5610.html
Old 10-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

Hi Myron,

You may remember that I opened up that area when I needed a hidden locked storage space for, um, long objects.

There are two ways to use any space in that area.

1. Do as I did, open up the end. This doesn't give a whole lot of space unless you want to use the space above the wheel wells. In that case, if you install a shelf, it gives a space the full length of the counter. Good for long objects.

However the space right at the front isn't all the usable. A few tools, yes, a tool box, no.

2. The other way of using the space is too remove the panels and open up the wheel well area as others have done. That gives a lot of usable space.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-11-2014 4-07-17 PM6_resize.JPG  
Old 10-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Ah, thank you. My thought is use the area as a quick and simple access to a few basic tools, maybe the air compressor, things often needed but otherwise kept in a big toolbox under the dinette.

Hmm...Maybe it would also be a good place for storing my PVC TV mast sections, currently under the bed.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ah, thank you. My thought is use the area as a quick and simple access to a few basic tools, maybe the air compressor, things often needed but otherwise kept in a big toolbox under the dinette.

Hmm...Maybe it would also be a good place for storing my PVC TV mast sections, currently under the bed.
Myron I took a different route . I opened the space under the counter . Very easy and was able to reuse the paneling , it is just stapled , just pull to remove .. I needed a space for paper products in one space . Paper towels , Kleenex , toilet tissue etc. I covered the tires with carpet and closed up the two ends right and left . The bottom space is still the same as before for heavy things .At harbor freight found the net to hold everything in it’s place . Now I was able to have storage for bread , chips , cookies etc over the dinette. I had Charley make a few dividers that can slide as needed to make space larger or smaller . In the closet the top shelf in the closet now holds towels . Others , clothes on shelf’s I made . Before paper products were everywhere in trailer . Hated that . Of course under the heater opened up , made a nice cupboard for shower things etc. as a lot of us did . After coming from second camper the storage I found in the trailer to be very wasteful . Campers utilize every space . I still keep looking for more idea’s , but I found a lot . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
3906B2B6-83F4-4ED5-BF97-61430A33925D.jpg   D7B3060D-8043-4934-8BF6-BF7095228616.jpg   FCD89DD1-5A43-4012-84E5-61B8ABD189DA.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #14

Yes, option 2 does make for a lot more storage space in the area.

For items like my misc. aluminum tubes for the TV antenna etc. I found that a 4" piece of plastic pipe fit nicely between the spare tire rack and the trailer back.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0035_resize.JPG   IMGP0038_resize.JPG   IMGP0043_resize.JPG  
Old 10-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, option 2 does make for a lot more storage space in the area.

For items like my misc. aluminum tubes for the TV antenna etc. I found that a 4" piece of plastic pipe fit nicely between the spare tire rack and the trailer back.

Ron
That’s a great idea Ron , May copy in the future ! Under the counter over the tires you can see I need to resupply with more items for next trip , paper towels and Kleenex . I had a coupon so resupply the toilet tissue already . It holds a lot and doesn’t really add much weight over the tires . The best part all in one place ! Pat
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #16

After close inspection I decided not to cut a door opening on the left side. Seeing less space there than I expected. Seems to be a point of diminishing return for me. That plumbing is too much in the way.

So Pat, your picture of the front space is perfect timing because that's where my attention has shifted. Went under there looking to remove the stapled panel and use the wheel well space. But clearly that panel wall can't be pulled out without destroying it. That likely will be my next move.
Attached Thumbnails
PatcubbyB.jpg  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
After close inspection I decided not to cut a door opening on the left side. Seeing less space there than I expected. Seems to be a point of diminishing return for me. That plumbing is too much in the way.

So Pat, your picture of the front space is perfect timing because that's where my attention has shifted. Went under there looking to remove the stapled panel and use the wheel well space. But clearly that panel wall can't be pulled out without destroying it. That likely will be my next move.
Hi Myron the paneling you see is the original . I put it back with screws and washers , maybe some glue etc. it is mostly just light glue and staples holding it from Escape . You just grab a end and wiggle back and forth until it lets go.I think I cut a little off the top and found the trim piece at Lowe’s . You can add some support if needed without touching the wheel wells or fiberglass . I know you will figure it out and probably improve on my idea ! Pat
Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Probably a good decision. I did have to move my plumbing to make it work. But I had a specific reason to do that and it was worth it. Just to gain what little space that's available without the other mods, not so much.

I've sometimes reached over, when possible, and inserted a thin screwdriver blade between the joint that I'm trying to loosen. If I can get the blade in a bit then a rotate it. Seems to help working a sticky joint apart.

Ron
Old 10-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm thinking a better plan is to reduce weight by removing stuff, not by filling every nook and cranny.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
'Stuff' will expand to fill the available space. Natural law!