Hitch Cargo Carrier - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The build sheet says "reinforce bike rack ready to carry extra weight". Not sure what this means exactly as far as difference in build without comparing trailers with and without. No revised weight rating listed anywhere. I think I found the 500 lb number in a post where it was reinforced to carry a motorcycle, but not positive ours is equivalent. Also not sure ETI does it anymore either. This was back in 2009.

If ETI won't do it and you felt it needed more support just enlist a welder to do it.
Thank you!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #22

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
2in reciever

We added an alum one weighsunder 50lb. A 44 in by 24 in (Amazon Prime) we put the spare tire on it and a box for gas and grill then used the spare tire holder to hold our 2 1/2 hp Suzuki engine for our rubber boat .It worked Great
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We added an alum one weighsunder 50lb. A 44 in by 24 in (Amazon Prime) we put the spare tire on it and a box for gas and grill then used the spare tire holder to hold our 2 1/2 hp Suzuki engine for our rubber boat .It worked Great
Can you post a pic of this please?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B
GBAGLO: How is this cargo carrier holding up? The one I'm looking at getting is 60#, leaving me 90# to add stuff. I'm really only wanting to carry my bulky chairs, etc back there so I don't want an extra box. Can't decide??
sharonm3394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonm3394 View Post
GBAGLO: How is this cargo carrier holding up? The one I'm looking at getting is 60#, leaving me 90# to add stuff. I'm really only wanting to carry my bulky chairs, etc back there so I don't want an extra box. Can't decide??
In reality, the hitch receiver is capable of supporting more than 150 pounds. I believe one of the reasons ETI no longer includes reinforcement of the “bike rack receiver” is due to weight distribution, especially on the bumper pull models. Adding weight to the rear of the trailer can contribute to sway, and sway can as has caused serious stability issues; sway way can be extremely dangerous. IMHO, it is prudent to stay within the weight limits “suggested” by ETI and not “reinforce” the receiver to “increase” capacity to 500 pounds. That much weight could also stress/compromise frame integrity given the way trailers “bounce” down the road.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rear receiver

I’d agree with Carl on the reinforcement comments. Although I’ve not used the rear receiver, if I need to I could see adding two more tubes for stability of whatever accessory Wes added but still would not exceed the suggested 150# weight limit. If no additional 2 inch tubing is added i am a fan of the clamp that tightens things together to dampen the slop that may be present owing to slightly different tubing clearances.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonm3394 View Post

Appears to be OK for now. I use my Sherline scale to ensure the tongue weight is correct and I only put light stuff ( everything is relative ) in the box.
I drove wedges into the hitch receiver to try to stop the wobble.
I have been tempted to remove the box for all the reasons others have mentioned, and one more; the box adds two feet to the length of the trailer resulting in increased ferry fares.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another way to tighten up a rattling hitch stinger is one of these. It might be easier to remove than a wedge...
Old 07-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
the box adds two feet to the length of the trailer resulting in increased ferry fares.
Our 2007 5.0 had a step that mounted on a receiver under the door. We carried the step on the rear receiver while traveling EXCEPT last year on the BC ferries, it added over a foot!

We bought a lightweight aluminum rack for the old 5.0 which I sold with the trailer, only used it this past winter-spring.

A fellow just south of us in North Dakota really wanted to buy our 5.0 (but we sold it before getting home in the spring). I bumped into him at a campground recently. He bought a 19 foot Scamp and had a professionally welded hitch put on which extends well up onto the frame. He uses it to tow a lightweight trailer with his BBQ and bicycles on. First time ever I'd seen a triple tow with moulded fibreglass trailer when he left the campground.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 2018 Escape 21. Last trip I really enjoyed having campfires, but don't like to haul firewood in the back of my tow. I realized a hitch cargo carrier would work great for that purpose. I've been looking for awhile, recently made an impulse buy, and got one way too heavy, weights 70#'s. Even before I received it, I knew it was not going to be suitable for my trailer.

So, I ordered another one, and think this one will work better. It weighs 30#, is 2' x 4' with a curved shaft to give it a little more ground clearance. The big one I originally got has a really nice folding feature, folds up 90 degrees and is out of the way. I would really like to have the folding feature, but that adds extra weight, so probably not a good idea. I also plan to use it on the back of tow from time to time to collect fire wood or haul anything else I may need after I'm already setup in camp.

I haven't used it yet, but think it will be a good one. I have concerns about leaving it on the back of the trailer while empty, it sticks out aways, and I can visualize someone clipping it in a grocery store parking lot, etc. I may just carry it in the back of my tow when I'm not using. I haven't used it yet, so will be working out the details on next trip, hopefully soon. I'll try to link it, but it's a Curt 18110 tray-style cargo carrier, approx $90 shipped to your door.

Oh, I bought it from Amazon, as a returned item for a few $'s off. I've done that several times with good results in the past, but this time has been a hassle. It was supposed to be like new, and is, but is missing some parts. I'm still trying to get it completed, that's how it goes sometimes. Cheers

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curt-Manu...AaAiWZEALw_wcB
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd expend my energy on something else, given that transporting firewood is now illegal in many places and that fires are often forbidden due to forest fire hazards.

For the same money, you could probably get a propane campfire.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:32 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Not a real wood fire but easy to use, can be used in parks where wood fires are not allowed, and doesn't make you smell like a fire pit. I store it in a cargo box on top of my suv.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Outland Fireball 893.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd expend my energy on something else, given that transporting firewood is now illegal in many places and that fires are often forbidden due to forest fire hazards.

For the same money, you could probably get a propane campfire.
While I do carry a propane fire pit to use where wood is not allowed, I very much prefer wood. Most provinces and states I have been in allow transport of wood, but often not across borders, and definitely not across the US/Canada border as I found out many, many years ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #34

Trailer: ?
Getting one of these to carry light weight bulky stuff to free up the back of our tow vehicle to make more room for the new dog. Our prior dog preferred to ride in the trailer. This guy needs to be near us.

Harbor Freight. $50 less the 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb...ier-69858.html

The specifications are interesting.
Product weight 28#
Shipping weight: 26.65#
Dehydrated? Simply add water??
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #35

Yes, I looked at Harbor Freight one (appears to be a knockoff of Gear Guide model available on Amazon) probably should have gotten that one, looks good, especially for $40 plus tax. I paid 2x's that for mine, but like some of it's features better, like expanded metal floor, and 2" sides all the way around. Either one is good, ymmv.

The propane fire pits are great, just not for me. I have enjoyed being around one from time to time, but not enough to actually want to get one.

I don't get to actually have a real wood fire very often, so when I do it's very enjoyable. I know the rules about hauling wood, and always try to follow the rules. There are times when it's OK to haul firewood. Some places if you want to have a fire you have to bring your own wood. However, I've realized over the years I don't like hauling firewood in the back of my tow, and think a hitch cargo carrier will solve that problem for me. Cheers
Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Great carrier!

I have one of these. It holds 3 milk crates that contain wood blocks, chocks, rubber pavers use for leveling, and numerous other items I don't want in the truck bed or front box. It has held up well for over three years. Great buy especially with coupon. I highly recommend it. It is definitely a nice edition to my 21'!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_105530_001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	47135
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You all are making me feel like I went way overboard with what I built for my rear storage box. It sure does hold lots though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #38

yes, I'm having buyer's remorse too lols.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You all are making me feel like I went way overboard with what I built for my rear storage box. It sure does hold lots though.
Ah, but yours is the real deal. The deluxe version for sure.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I bought a “genuine” Hitch Hauler in 2003. My daughter was off to college at Boston University and we did not have a prayer of getting everything in the Dakota pickup with the back seat removed and a topper. I built a plywood box that fit the hauler that was pretty good sized. When I got it finished I noted the taillights were somewhat obscured. So I got a couple boat trailer lights and installed them on the corners of the hitch hauler and used the 4 flat adapter on the pickup to power them. Worked well and very visible. I stopped at a rest area on the New York thruway. A trooper pulled in behind me. As I got out of the truck he told me he liked the extra lights and said too many times people cover up the lights on the extended platform. Made me feel good I’d done something right for once. Still have the box and the hauler but haven’t used it in a while. It’s pretty heavy. If I were to use the hauler on the Escape I’d weld in two more receivers and two more tubes for triple support and to stop any rocking. But haven’t seen the need to use it. The 21 tows so well that I’m not interested in screwing up the balance we have at this time.
I like the Campfire in a Can. Works well, quick and easy and don’t have to worry about wind direction. I did trip over the hose once though. I have to mention that or the next post will be Glenn Baglo reminding me.
Iowa Dave