Hot Victron Solar Controller - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Hot Victron Solar Controller

Recented viewed a couple of YouTube videos where they mentioned the Victron solar controllers get very hot. I had believed mppt solar controllers ran cooler than pwm controllers, which bleed off unused current as heat. MPPT controllers reportedly use all available current & sent it to the batteries.

Do Victron solar controllers get hot inside the Escape benches?
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
Recented viewed a couple of YouTube videos where they mentioned the Victron solar controllers get very hot. I had believed mppt solar controllers ran cooler than pwm controllers, which bleed off unused current as heat. MPPT controllers reportedly use all available current & sent it to the batteries.

Do Victron solar controllers get hot inside the Escape benches?
Neither MPPT nor PWM technology is designed to convert unused current into heat. The heat that they do produce is mostly a byproduct of high current flowing thru the various parts. They should be designed to be running cool if possible.

Old fashioned linear voltage regulators, and especially shunt regulators (my favorite) convert unused energy directly to heat.

I have no information regarding Victron specifically.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Neither MPPT nor PWM technology is designed to convert unused current into heat. The heat that they do produce is mostly a byproduct of high current flowing thru the various parts. They should be designed to be running cool if possible.

Old fashioned linear voltage regulators, and especially shunt regulators (my favorite) convert unused energy directly to heat.

If SCC's are 95% efficient that leaves 5% as heat. Our Victron 100/30 SCC gets warm at the peak hours, but not hot. There is a heat sink and the Victron mounts keep the heat sink from touching anything.

I don't worry about that little bit of heat. I wouldn't store my manuals behind there though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post

Good info, Thanks!
Old 10-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
If SCC's are 95% efficient that leaves 5% as heat. Our Victron 100/30 SCC gets warm at the peak hours, but not hot. There is a heat sink and the Victron mounts keep the heat sink from touching anything.

I don't worry about that little bit of heat. I wouldn't store my manuals behind there though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks for this real world info. Will plan on keeping flammables out of that bench.