hot water tank mod ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
hot water tank mod ?

I did a mod to my sailboat hot water tank that might be useful in a trailer.

I installed a mixing valve to limit the temperature of the hot water. the water was heated off the diesel engine and became scalding hot after a couple of hours. For safety reasons I added a mixing valve that limited the max temp at the taps.
One additional benefit was it really extended the amount of hot water use from the 6 gal tank.
I am considering adding one to the trailer if its possible to turn up the temperature in the hot water tank. Is that feasible ?

Here is the mixing valve I used and found it worked well,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Why is it different then just turning on the cold to mix with the hot at the faucet? I can see the safety benefit if you worry about such but why would it save hot water?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While there is no reason you can't add a mixing valve since many complain that the hot water is already too hot, I don't believe there are different temperature thermostats for the water heater.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There is a variant of the Atwood 10-gallon water heaters (which they labelled "XT") which claims to have a larger effective capacity. What it really is, just as proposed in the original post, is a normal 10-gallon heater with a higher-temperature thermostat and with a mixing valve mounted right at the heater. The output of the mixing valve is about the temperature of a normal heater, with the valve mixing roughly 10 parts very hot water with 6 parts cold water to make 16 parts of normal "hot" water. I have one in a large trailer which we haven't used for a while; it seemed to generally work fine.

Since Dometic bought Atwood, these are still available, as Dometic XT Water Heaters, and they have them in both 10 gallon and 6 gallon (U.S. gallons, actual tank capacity) sizes.

This is fundamentally no different from just running the heater at a high temperature and mixing appropriately at the faucet, except that it is safer (avoids scalding) because the very hot water directly from the heater is not available at any faucet. The system does not save water; it makes more hot water available.

So if someone wants to do this, and they can use an Atwood/Dometic thermostat (keeping in mind that Escape water heaters are from Suburban), the higher-temperature thermostat and mixing valve are available as replacement or salvage parts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21
You might want to check the hot water temp. before you crank it up, if it can be adjusted
Ours is set so high you could brew coffee straight out of the tap!
I haven't found a way to adjust the temp BTW
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

It sounds like the hot water temperature is quite high but not adjustable on the 6 gal tanks.

I'll wait and see how our operates once we get the trailer. Then order the mixing valve if it seems like a good idea.

We found it safer and much quicker to adjust the water temp for dishes and showers, resulting in less hot water being used from the little tank. If I was in a camp ground with shore power its not an issue, but boon docking the only way to heat more water is to run a generator.

Bob
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
but boon docking the only way to heat more water is to run a generator.

Bob

The water heater is propane, unless you order it "two-way" ( propane and AC )
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The water heater is propane, unless you order it "two-way" ( propane and AC )
HA! your right ! I'm still thinking like a sailor, we don't have the propane option for hot water on a boat.
thanks for straightening me out, Bob
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
It sounds like the hot water temperature is quite high but not adjustable on the 6 gal tanks

Bob
You are correct, the water temp is preset at about 130 degrees and is not adjustable. The mixing valve sounds like a good idea. Mixing at the faucet wastes water.

I have seen ads for adjustable thermostat retrofits, but that would defeat the purpose of extending the volume of hot water by mixing very hot with cooler.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I did a mod to my sailboat hot water tank that might be useful in a trailer.

I installed a mixing valve to limit the temperature of the hot water. the water was heated off the diesel engine and became scalding hot after a couple of hours. For safety reasons I added a mixing valve that limited the max temp at the taps.
One additional benefit was it really extended the amount of hot water use from the 6 gal tank.
I am considering adding one to the trailer if its possible to turn up the temperature in the hot water tank. Is that feasible ?

Here is the mixing valve I used and found it worked well,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
🤔 make it too hot just to make colder??
How does that save anything? First off you use more propane to get it up to temp then it will require more to maintain the higher temp. What’s the point?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
From Suburban manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Suburban SW6D(E) thermostat.JPG  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
From Suburban manual...
The water heater in my scamp was a 6 gal...don't remember who made it...and it had a little adjuster bar for temp. Too bad they don't make them that way anymore.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
The water heater in my scamp was a 6 gal...don't remember who made it...and it had a little adjuster bar for temp. Too bad they don't make them that way anymore.

Maybe an old Atwood. There were models that were adjustable from 110-150F.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 make it too hot just to make colder??
How does that save anything?
What’s the point?
It doesn't "save" anything; it makes more hot water available:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There is a variant of the Atwood 10-gallon water heaters (which they labelled "XT") which claims to have a larger effective capacity. What it really is, just as proposed in the original post, is a normal 10-gallon heater with a higher-temperature thermostat and with a mixing valve mounted right at the heater. The output of the mixing valve is about the temperature of a normal heater, with the valve mixing roughly 10 parts very hot water with 6 parts cold water to make 16 parts of normal "hot" water.
The system does not save water; it makes more hot water available.
Of course the water still comes from somewhere - all the water that you use comes from the tank or the city water connection. Use more water and, well, you use more water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
First off you use more propane to get it up to temp then it will require more to maintain the higher temp.
True, the higher holding temperature will mean more heat loss, causing more propane consumption; also, the efficiency of the heater drops as the heated water temperature gets closer to the exhaust temperature. On the other hand, other than these inefficiencies, this scheme does not required any more energy heat the water; the total energy increase from cold water to heated water is the same, whether you heat all of the water just enough, or heat less water through a higher temperature difference.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote