How to repair hole in propane tank cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 19
How to repair hole in propane tank cover

I made a rookie mistake and pulled a couple of holes in my plastic propane tank cover while trying to reshape it using heat (I am trying to solve the problem of too much friction between the storage box, tank cover, and power jack). I am very much out of my lane here and would appreciate any advice on how to repair the damage. Some online posts imply that I could use fiberglass tape and resin. If that is true, could I not cut out the area that I want to reform and use fiberglass to cover the larger hole in a new shape? I think I understand that I would need some kind of reinforcement on the inside of the cover while the resin hardens to keep the tape from sagging in.
Or should I chalk the whole thing up to experience and look for a replacement cover that doesn't fit so tightly to the adjoining units?
Thans in advance.
bobwirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Not sure what they use for a plastic cover but don't think a new one is overly expensive.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would just buy a new cover and practice reforming plastic on the old one.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Not sure what they use for a plastic cover but don't think a new one is overly expensive.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve

Under $30 at Camping World. Probably cheaper than fibreglass and resin.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It depends on the area that you've damaged. If it's a flat area I'd just put an aluminum or plastic patch on it with pop rivets. It'd just look like an inspection port. Sadly, I've done such things over the years.

What I wouldn't do is attempt to use resins etc. If you're not used to using them the end result might not be what you're hoping for.

As much as I like fixing things this is one situation where I might just buy a new one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
After my cover cracked this summer I replaced it with a new one for about $55. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0024ECC3S/...NrPXRydWU&th=1

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I agree with purchasing a new cover. If you really want to avoid purchasing one, the cover is made of polypropylene, not fiberglass. You could use a plastic welder to fill in the holes, but most filler rod is black, and it takes a fair amount of practice to get proficient at plastic welding.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In my travels I usually see a couple along the side of the road per year plus 3 or 4 Air conditioner covers,
A max fan bubble or two. In 2019 I say two solar panels on interstate 80, both in the median and both in the area of Joliet. The roughest new paving I’ve ever seen with cold joints every truckload.

Road kills, tire alligators, trailer parts, semitrailer canvas covers, moving to a new apartment debris (kitchen chairs and small nightstands are most common) and last Monday a mattress blowing out of a pickup going the other way, all help keep me focused on the job at hand including watching for deer especially during the rut.

Traffic slowed to a stop just East of Joliet a week ago the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and laying on the shoulder was a perfectly good framing hammer. Bout killed me when Rita would not agree to get out and pick it up. She’s still mad about the time I forgot her at a truck stop in Quebec in the 70’s.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Buy a new one

As Jon stated, the cover is made of polypropylene resin plastic. That is a difficult, if not nearly impossible plastic to permanently 'glue to". Fiberglass and resin would peel off easily and quickly as the 2 materials are not chemically compatible. As Jon also stated, plastic welding is possible, but not easily color matching.

A patch like Ron suggested? How about white Gorilla brand duct tape? Roughly matching in color, reasonable adhesion, easily replaceable......or just buy a new cover.

Or make a patch, not trying to hide it, but out in the open, covering the boo-boo with a favorite adhesive sticker, graphic, something.

Nothing is forever.....and nothing lasts......forever.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21C
Bobwirtz You are welcome to have mine. It is just sitting in my shop taking up space. Not sure the shipping cost from Texas would be worth it though.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The standard covers seem to have a bulge near the top. Just wondering if a taller 30# tank cover would help in any way?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

As Jon also stated, plastic welding is possible, but not easily color matching.
Also plastic welding has some other variables. A friend who is by far the best TIG welder that I've ever seen, bought a plastic welder to fix a plastic part.

Let's just say it humbled him. Seems like there's a lot of different plastics out there and unless the filler rod matches the type perfectly it ain't going to be pretty.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
You are welcome to have mine. It is just sitting in my shop taking up space. Not sure the shipping cost from Texas would be worth it though.
Thanks, but for now I have covered the holes with white duct tape. Not the ideal look, but not too bad either. I just hope the additional space I was able to get with the reforming is sufficient.
As usual, thanks to all who have contributed suggestions. This forum is a great place to get help.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
"nothing is as permanent , as a temporary repair!" Albert Einstein..
Old 12-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
"nothing is as permanent , as a temporary repair!" Albert Einstein..
Very true.
My absolute favorite quote, though, is "the only thing more expensive than a good tool is a cheap tool".
Old 12-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #16

This just might be a FIRST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
Thanks, but for now I have covered the holes with white duct tape. Not the ideal look, but not too bad either.
Someone took my advice and suggestion.
Duct tape! It's what holds together the fabric of time & space, the whole universe.

I once went for a flight in a buddies duct tape patched, fabric covered, Super Cub Piper aeroplane. I looked at that duct tape, and knew he had a roll of it onboard if anything unexpected came up. It was a swell Xmas eve flight.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwirtz View Post
Very true.
My absolute favorite quote, though, is "the only thing more expensive than a good tool is a cheap tool".
One of my favorites goes something like this...
“Interesting that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over.”
Old 12-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Hello all. I too am interested in doing some reshaping of my propane cover. It looks like one must get the material up to around 120C/250F to be able to plastic deform polypropylene. I tried a heat gun but was not able to reach or maintain the temperature required. I’m afraid a torch will be too hot and the heat too concentrated quickly resulting in holes. Just curious if anyone has successfully reshaped their cover, and if so, how did you heat it?

I’m very comfortable with fiberglass layup but, as mentioned, it will not join with polypropylene. My project does not justify building a cover from scratch with fg. I will probably go the route Ron mentioned cutting areas and riveting patches to create the changes I would like. But if anyone knows how to successfully reshape a cover please share how to do it.

Safe travels, and happy holidaze!
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #19

Try 2

Any try with heating with 1 heat gun is the other side of the items wall is not nearly as hot. It seems possible to have 2 people heating an area, inside and out, and with gloves on, both persons pushing and forming from the interior and exterior to a desired shape.

After that notion, heat lights on one side and reforming with a heat gun (on high) may be a technique.

I'd think it could be done, but the right gear and techniques are not tried by me, in this application.

Lots of polypropylene items, from food trays to pick-up bed liners are vacuum heat formed. It can be done, me thinks.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Main thing is to not rush the heating of the plastic. Take your time. Had to do this when making guards for machinery. Heat gun work best n have plenty of patience n wear welders gloves to protect one’s hands n fingers

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote