I looked at my 7 month old tire and saw metal banding showing thru - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I looked at my 7 month old tire and saw metal banding showing thru

I can't believe I glanced down at my tire and saw this. My tire is ready to explode. It looks like it skidded long enough to wear right thru the tire and into the banding.

How could this happen?

I had my break assist set pretty high at first, but I never thought I dragged a tire. Now it's at 3.5. That's pretty low and I can tell if the tire catches and lurches. So I think it is set right.

Any ideas?

I am replacing them with Goodyear Endurance tires in the morning. Man, one thing after another right now.
Attached Thumbnails
tire.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I can't believe I glanced down at my tire and saw this. My tire is ready to explode. It looks like it skidded long enough to wear right thru the tire and into the banding.

How could this happen?

I had my break assist set pretty high at first, but I never thought I dragged a tire. Now it's at 3.5. That's pretty low and I can tell if the tire catches and lurches. So I think it is set right.

Any ideas?

I am replacing them with Goodyear Endurance tires in the morning. Man, one thing after another right now.
Looks like it's time to adjust your brakes. That tire seems to be doing most of the braking.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Agree it is likely a brake adjust issue(too loose). Curious is it the passenger front tire?
Old 12-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You need to get your brakes adjusted before you run your new tires.

Every so often I will get out and watch my trailer tires as my wife applies the trailer brakes while dragging the trailer on a sandy surface. Interesting to see which tire locks first...or do they all lock at the same time.

I also carry an electronic temperature gun and point it at each brake drum every day after coming to a stop somewhere mid route. Always nice to see each brake drum at or near the same temperature. This way I know one is not doing more work than the others.

Yours is so bad that maybe the other 3 wheels have the wire disconnect or a bad ground.

The good news is that it is only bald on top....

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

How do you adjust the brakes?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
While you have the trailer tires jacked up to adjust the brakes, with the TV 7-pin connected - tap the TV brakes and make sure that each trailer brake actually stops the wheel. That will tell you that the wiring to the each of the trailer brakes is working.

There has been reports in the past of the wiring to the electric brakes having a fault and one or more of the trailer brakes not working.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post315302
Old 12-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
How do you adjust the brakes?
https://youtu.be/9Tf1Bc526zE
Try this video...

Old 12-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
While you have the trailer tires jacked up to adjust the brakes, with the TV 7-pin connected - tap the TV brakes and make sure that each trailer brake actually stops the wheel. That will tell you that the wiring to the each of the trailer brakes is working.

There has been reports in the past of the wiring to the electric brakes having a fault and one or more of the trailer brakes not working.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post315302
Or alternatively with the tow vehicle 7-pin DISCONNECTED just pull the breakaway pin. This will apply full voltage to the brakes (from the trailer battery). This tells you each brake is connected and that the breakaway system is operating properly. This also makes it a one person job.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
To get wear that bad from a brake problem, the shoes would've had to be locked up on the drum and keeping the tire from spinning while you drove for quite some distance. Otherwise, if it were just locking up when stopping, the tire wouldn't always be stopped on that one patch and it would wear various random surfaces a little at a time. If this is a brake problem, I think it's more likely a total malfunction (something's stuck) than out of adjustment.

One other possibility... are there any other bald spots spaced evenly around the tire? If so, could it be from an out-of-balance wheel?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
To get wear that bad from a brake problem, the shoes would've had to be locked up on the drum and keeping the tire from spinning while you drove for quite some distance. Otherwise, if it were just locking up when stopping, the tire wouldn't always be stopped on that one patch and it would wear various random surfaces a little at a time. If this is a brake problem, I think it's more likely a total malfunction (something's stuck) than out of adjustment.
Agreed. UncleTim was dragging a locked wheel for quite a distance. Happened to my father once when the brakes were overdue for service. Smoked the tire in a similar fashion.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

One other possibility... are there any other bald spots spaced evenly around the tire? If so, could it be from an out-of-balance wheel?
I was surprised to see smoke coming off a tire once. I had set my brake controller up while driving and apparently overdid it. I would think to create that much wear in one spot there would have been substantial smoke.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

Depending on how that tire got that way...the brake shoes on that wheel should be checked as well...if it was stopping the trailer by itself.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Wow - and I see you have a new rig - 2020 - that's pretty bad. How many miles have you put on the rig? If my 2020 did that, I'd call Escape and have a chat - especially if something is broken. That's not from a maladjusted brake setting, otherwise it's be in more than one place...that's a 'lockup' indicator.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When In Doubt Read The Manual

From Dexter:
Brakes should be adjusted (1) after the first 200 miles of operation when the brake shoes and drums have “seated,” (2) at 3,000 mile intervals, (3) or as use and performance requires.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Looks like the brake locked up on that wheel.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:26 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A "good" tire shop should be able to adjust the pads if you don't want to try it yourself. I've had my car mechanic do it while checking the bearings on occasion.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Tim, if you are replacing your tires with Goodyear Endurances, the maximum sidewall pressure is 65 psi. While I cannot relate to 5.0 TA torsion axles because I have one of the early 5.0TAs with leaf springs, take a close look at the load charts. I run my Endurance tires at 50 psi and I know of another early 5.0TA owner who runs them at 45 psi. Running at 65 psi resulted in the trailer bouncing all over the place with some messes being created. I would suggest checking the inside of your trailer after 5 miles towing if you choose to run at 65 psi and adjust tire pressure accordingly if it seems higher pressures are Resulting in too rough a ride. Incidentally, I have the gain on my Ford F-150 set at 6. It is there because I did the 20 mph thing on gravel and found that to be the appropriate setting. My driveway has a slight down slope, and every time I pull out I will come to a stop, Thales my foot off the brake, and when it starts to roll, apply only the trailer brakes (manually) to see if it stops both trailer and truck at slow speeds. It does so in a few feet and with the windows open I listen for the sound of skidding (brake lockup). I do the same procedure on flat ground, allowing the (automatic) transmission to get the two rolling slowly (with foot off the accelerator pedal). I find this procedure tells me if the trailer’s brakes are working as I expect.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
This has been very illuminating conversation to this future 5,0 owner trying to learn. I checked out the video Eggscape posted about adjusting the breaks. Also read an earlier post on a related thread from Rossue to learn about Camco Trailer Aid to substitute for jack needed to raise the tire. Told my wife of the requirement to adjust the breaks after 200 miles + every 3000 miles after that - and she was sufficiently disconcerted to ask whether we are up to this...

Anyway, as I was researching this - I came across Nev-R-Adjust breaks that are an option with with EZ-Lube Dexter axles. From this discussion, it seems Nev-R-Adjust are not the kind ETI uses. Correct? If so, is it worth asking ETI to install them for an additional charge? (I like the sound of never adjust, however poorly spelled.)

Also, should UncleTim be looking into changing to this type of breaks as he addresses this issue?

These are musings of an out-of-depth neophyte, so please excuse if I am off on a tangent.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #19

Uncle Tim has a new pair of shoes, and a brake problem. Or at least Zen does.

I have a call into Escape now. I do need an opinion on this. The trailer is in my driveway. I drove it one mile back from the shop without electric brakes on. Went about 15 mph on the way home. 10 mph on the way there.

I think I am going to get this brake job professionally done. I am not a brake guy and this has to be right.

I went with Goodyear Endurance tires and I can already feel the difference. No more driving until this is fixed.

Total bill:$604

Thank you for all the suggestions. They are all helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
goodyear endurance tires.jpg  
Old 12-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
We have a trailer (5.0) on order, and after a session of reading this forum, I ask myself the same question your wife does, every single time. "Honey Are we going to be able to do this?" Fingers crossed.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote