I put a hole in my cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I put a hole in my cabinet

I have a 2015 5.0ta. It has some storage space behind the door when it is open (think molded door). Anyway, it is an odd space that only had access from the outside. So I purchased from Escape a matching door, cut a hole, framed the opening, installed the door, installed a shelf and lights. I now have a shelf in there on top and the space down below is my dirty close hamper. The lights turn on when the door is opened. Yes, I know that the newer 5.0's have this door but mine didn't! See pictures for details.
Attached Thumbnails
20210317_182936.jpg   20210318_105713a.jpg   20210317_094423a.jpg   20210317_184857a.jpg  
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks nice. I often wondered how much space I would gain by adding a door. What's the vertical dimension from the top of the opening to the bottom of the shelf? Oh, and where did you move the fire extinguisher?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
very nice.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:39 AM   #4

From the top of the opening to the bottom of the shelf is 7 inches. The opening is 14 1/2 tall and 6 3/4 wide. The door itself is 15 1/4 by 7 1/2 inches. The shelf is made with three pieces of wood so it would fit through the availableopenings. The fire extinguisher is in the step storage (I need to figure a way to install it out of the way but easier to get to). The one that came with the camper is a joke so I bought a real one but it is bigger. This was a pretty easy modification compared to the top step storage mod or the front storage area enlargement mod. And I love the internal lighting in all of these storage places. Makes them much easier to find stuff in them. They turn on when you open the door like your fridge.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I am also not satisfied with the ETI supplied fire extinguisher. While it remains in its original installed location and I periodically invert it and “whack” it several times with my hand to keep its contents from settling, I keep fire extinguishing sprays marketed by First Alert in the sleeping loft and on the “kitchen” counter. Amazon sells a package of two for @ $28, and I have seen them in Lowe’s for a few dollars less.
Attached Thumbnails
389CFC85-26B4-4025-ACAA-CBDAD75A216C.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
From the top of the opening to the bottom of the shelf is 7 inches. The opening is 14 1/2 tall and 6 3/4 wide. The door itself is 15 1/4 by 7 1/2 inches. The shelf is made with three pieces of wood so it would fit through the available openings. The fire extinguisher is in the step storage.....
Excellent, just the information I needed
Old 03-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I am also not satisfied with the ETI supplied fire extinguisher. While it remains in its original installed location and I periodically invert it and “whack” it several times with my hand to keep its contents from settling, I keep fire extinguishing sprays marketed by First Alert in the sleeping loft and on the “kitchen” counter. Amazon sells a package of two for @ $28, and I have seen them in Lowe’s for a few dollars less.

Thanks for letting us know about these sprays. I've worried that when the time came to use a fire extinguisher I'd screw up because there's no way to practice with one. But push the button-- yeah, I can do that.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Nice Job!

Nice job on the door install.

In the same area, I opened the top of the 'desk' (top of that cabinet), then dropped in a shelf, that is placed below the drawer. The desk top came off easily, re-install was also simple.
I went with a solid piece of oak for the door. Your factory door looks much better than mine.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #9

Thanks all, going to give it a test drive Sunday for a few days at the coast.

Sleepy, I thought about pulling the top but I ended up with three pieces to make up the shelf partly because that was what I already had plus the space did not seem square. I did find a color of paint that is very close to what is painted inside the door openings of the other cabinets.

Donna, glad I could help. I put the door in for easier access to a weird shaped storage space. I shared my idea with a local couple who was about to order one and ETI put the door in this space for them and put the outdoor hatch lower for easier access to the clothes in the "hamper".
Old 03-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Donna, glad I could help. I put the door in for easier access to a weird shaped storage space. I shared my idea with a local couple who was about to order one and ETI put the door in this space for them and put the outdoor hatch lower for easier access to the clothes in the "hamper".
Did you order the door directly from ETI? IF you did, exactly what did you ask for? I use some space below the second step for my dirty clothes hamper. Now you've got me second guessing myself
Old 03-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Nice work.

I'm planning the same and have a solid panel stained and sealed, although would like to have the door match the others. How much did ETS charge?

Also, do you have a link for the lights and switch? Seeing your pics, I like that idea.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Did you order the door directly from ETI? IF you did, exactly what did you ask for? I use some space below the second step for my dirty clothes hamper. Now you've got me second guessing myself
I recently had a door made for the area under the furnace. I contacted ETI first and they said they no longer provide doors. Maybe if it’s a current model and if they have extras they might, but didn’t seem from the response that they were interested.
Worth a try to contact them.
For my doors/drawers I use https://www.cabinetdoorworld.com/ The doors are Shaker style. The oak they use is red oak which is what ETI uses. I do a light red oakstain to match and then polyurethane top coat.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I did a similar mod 5+ years ago. When we ordered the trailer, I had them install the outside hatch at the bottom of the 'hole'. I put in a shelf above the hatch to separate the space. The lower part with the hatch holds outside stuff, like chocks, etc. and the upper space has a door from the inside other misc items.

The top step mod space is used for laundry.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I recently had a door made for the area under the furnace. I contacted ETI first and they said they no longer provide doors. Maybe if it’s a current model and if they have extras they might, but didn’t seem from the response that they were interested.
Worth a try to contact them.
For my doors/drawers I use https://www.cabinetdoorworld.com/ The doors are Shaker style. The oak they use is red oak which is what ETI uses. I do a light red oakstain to match and then polyurethane top coat.
Well dang. But thanks for the info about Cabinet Door World as an alternative.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Small point

But if you order a door, and can specify, have the grain of the door face parallel with the grain of the existing cabinet. It visually popped out to me.....only a cosmetic issue, but looks more sleek if parallel.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I have a 2015 5.0ta. It has some storage space behind the door when it is open (think molded door). Anyway, it is an odd space that only had access from the outside. So I purchased from Escape a matching door, cut a hole, framed the opening, installed the door, installed a shelf and lights. I now have a shelf in there on top and the space down below is my dirty close hamper. The lights turn on when the door is opened. Yes, I know that the newer 5.0's have this door but mine didn't! See pictures for details.
Nice work ! Do you info on your source for the lighting ?Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I ordered the door over a year ago directly from ETI parts. As I recall it may have been one they had left over. It was not too expensive for a pre-made and finished door with hardware. I believe it was somewhere close to $60 usd delivered. Give the parts guy a call.

I think we all use the spaces in our Escapes differently. I like that you can drag your dirty clothes from the outside. Under the step is fine. Donna have you converted the top step yet?
Old 03-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I did a similar mod 5+ years ago. When we ordered the trailer, I had them install the outside hatch at the bottom of the 'hole'. I put in a shelf above the hatch to separate the space. The lower part with the hatch holds outside stuff, like chocks, etc. and the upper space has a door from the inside other misc items.

The top step mod space is used for laundry.
Hello Chris, The very first 5.0ta I saw (anywhere) was your heavily modified and beautiful one. Somehow I ended up on your page. It is possible I got the idea from you! I love your work. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
But if you order a door, and can specify, have the grain of the door face parallel with the grain of the existing cabinet. It visually popped out to me.....only a cosmetic issue, but looks more sleek if parallel.
That is the compromise I had to make buying a pre-made door. I decided to ignore it instead of making one or having one made.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Donna have you converted the top step yet?
No, not yet Ten Forward is in a storage yard. Convenience is sadly lacking for making any changes. Maybe this summer....