If You Could Design My new Trailer and Pick My Options...... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

If You Could Design My new Trailer and Pick My Options......

We have just ordered our 19 for production in late Oct. I am scanning the forum and I see NUMEROUS great modifications and tweaks that have made your unit unique and more functional.
I would love to hear from you what YOU would suggest as a "Great to Have" mod. or Option.
For example - "Dave" had a very cool paper towel holder we loved. He also added extra shelves over the bed and closet. SO practical.
My wife and I are having a ball with this. We plan to make this a VERY cool Escape...
Its your chance to spend our money! What have you done or what would you do if you had the chance again?
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Re: If You Could Design My new Trailer and Pick My Options......

Hi, congratulations I am sure you will love your new trailer. We just picked up our 19 ft in aug. I would consider it fairly well equipted, we have the following ushual options, a/c, front storage box, 6 volt batteries, extra insulation, dual pane windows, spray foam and heat mats, bike rack ready, extra window in the shower/bathroom, window over the sink, opening door on the rhs front dinette seat, surge protector, led lights inside and out, extra exterior light over the front storage box, second set of high mount rear lights, aluminum wheels, removable power cord, outside shower, dual water heater, heat strip in the ac unit, extra folding selves for rear and front bed areas. I think thats it or at least thats what i can remember.
I ahd them build three shelves into the wardrobe closet and this is awesome with some smaller baskets you can organize this storage very well. Oh yeah we have a three burner stove with oven as well. Our fridge got upgraded to the 6.7 cubic foot three way one as the 5.0 is no longer available, we are very happy with it. You do loose the microwave area over the fridge but we wern't getting a micro anyways and the the lost storage doesn't seem to be a problem. I also had another outside storage access door put in the lhs front of the trailer to access the under the lhs dinette seat area from the outside as our table is almost always down as a bed for our daugter. Dave a Reace both seemed concerned about how small that area was and both honeslty tried quite hard to talk me out of it and I am glad I held out and got it because access to any storage you have is good for organizing. Probably what I would change is have the window over the sink a opening window, and have the front table modified to the hinge style instead of the two post system as it is almost always down the mounts for the posts are a pain in the back side as are the loose posts to store. There isn't really a option that I wouldn't get again. I hope this helps somewhat and good luck
Dave
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

The front cargo box is a "must-have". I'm taking my 19 home next summer to get one. Also, if you do much boondocking, the dual batteries with all LEDs in and out. And the extra insulation package. If you want AC, specify a unit that can be started and run with a 2KW generator. Bottom line that what you want will depend a lot on how you plan on using the trailer, and what else you want to bring along.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: DonM...And Welcome!!! My fav. beer is "O P's" and my fav. money is too!!! Don't know what style of camping you do but I always recommend the dual fuel water heater for those of us addicted to the current bush. It really saves on the propane when you're plugged in!!! Have a great time making your Escape truely YOURS. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

No one has mentioned the solar package, and by far that is the option that we are the happiest about. We got many of the options that Dmac got, and are glad we did as well. We had the outside storage box added, and what a difference it has made! We have the smaller fridge, as we really value the cupboard above the fridge. The only thing we would change is we would not get the TV antenna and TV mount. We never use either of these, rather using our I-pad or laptop to watch movies. We will be back at the factory to have the raised tail lights added, and I will also have shelves installed in the wardrobe.
Dave
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I think I would have gone with the 2 dinettes, one in front and one in rear with the slider table in front and hinged table in rear and both dinettes would be u-shaped. This in addition to everything else mentioned. Plus the o/s screen room
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"

GL OP.

I'm sure Tammy might have some suggestions also, based on how you two are going to be using the trailer.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

So far these posts have spent more of my cash! Great ideas.

We planned basically all of Dmac's suggestions but I picked up on a few new ones:
Outside front door access
hinged table

Bruce has warned me to check that the A/C works on a 2KW generator - Thanks!

Escape Artist has me thinking again about the 2way heater.... And the beer is on me should we meet.

Ddevin has made me spend money on dual tail lights and re-re-re-consider Soalr Panels. I need more use input on this please. We will likely dry camp more than most people. Probably 75% or more.
Also - I hadn't really considered the frequency that the iPad / Laptop provides all that I need. Maybe the TV is excessive and not needed.

Cpaharley makes a great suggestion on 2 dinettes which we definitely are doing. This is a major visual / practical floor space creator in our minds. Even thinking of trying a dual system and storing the full mattress for those times when we want a permanent bed that is more comfortable.
Dog as Navigator
Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Firstly, congrats on your purchase. It is fun planning things out while waiting for it to be made.

You will get a variety of answers, many of which contradict each other. All you can do it to listen to them all, and figure out what will work best for you guys.

Things like some saying the front storage box is a must, my thoughts are (at least for now) it is just a place to put more stuff we don't need, and adds to the weight of the trailer. As we travel now, we have plenty of room, and some left over, for storage in the trailer, as well as in the tow. Maybe this is one reason I could not see a second dinette for us, as we use the full space under the bed for storage, plus one of my wife's conditions was a permanent bed, and not having to set it up daily.

Another permanent option that many really like, but I don't consider necessary is the mounted solar panels. With the extra insulation and dual batteries we have never had any trouble boondocking for 4 nights with the temps dropping to near freezing. In the future I might consider a portable one, or possibly a small gen set to top up the batteries if we were to go longer. 90% of our camping is boondocking right now.

Remember, many modifications can be made afterwards, after you have had a chance to try it out for a while, and see what you really need.

For me, a few 'must have' options we got or would next time are;
-Dual glazed windows and extra insulation, good for both hot or cold climates
-The dual fuel water heater is nice for use in a campground
- Dual 6V batteries
- Additional tail lights. We are just now starting to take bikes, and the additional ones would be nice. Actually, the wife just told me that a package arrived at Greyhound for me today from Tammy with a couple of these lights in them, as well as a kit to make the power cord detachable.

A few things we did get, and would not next time;
- Installed stereo, that while nice to use inside, we are rarely inside so something portable would be better
- Outside shower. Ours has never been used. It was intended to be used to wash the dogs feet if needed, but is way too high for that, and the hose does not reach the ground. Besides, a basin of water does the trick even better.
- Not sure if is even possible, but we never have used the sink in the bathroom, it is just too small. I would rather not have one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I've done a number of modifications & additions to my 17B, as well as many factory options such as solar, dual 6V batteries & propane, etc. I have some photos of the modifications at http://lakeshoreimages.com/trailer.html. So far, my favorite has been the LED lighting strips on the inside of the overhead storage cabinets. They are great for finding "stuff" after dark.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

The Coleman 9200 Polar Cub will operate off a 2000 watt Yamaha, the bigger 11,500 Dometic can operate off the 2000 watt generator but you will need a "soft start" system installed, Reace can advise. Agree on o/s shower, have had it on 3 trailers, used -0- plus it is another hole in your trailer for cold air intrusion and winterization needs.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: DonM... I concur that some options and mod's are better put in when your unit is being built, depending on how handy you are for the rest!!! The main thing is knowing the difference.
Our paper towel rack is over the door but then again the 5.0 is slightly narrower so the reach isn't far!!! We would certainly have the exterior access hatches put in as they weren't options when our 07 was built. I could add them but probably won't as it means moving the exterior 120V outlet that we use all the time. The screen room is best added when Reace can install the dome snaps in the fiberglass and properly seal them. Alf p.s. I've never had enough nerve to use the outside shower either!!!I Believe the new bathroom sink is wider and longer so as to be useful for more than a soap dish.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
3$ Mod after.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye
So far, my favorite has been the LED lighting strips on the inside of the overhead storage cabinets. They are great for finding "stuff" after dark.
Following your example, and doing this, earned me a bunch of brownie points with the wife.

They work great, much better than other types of lighting. In fact, earlier this week I ordered another roll to do the cabinet above the fridge, and the wardrobe, and maybe some in the under bed storage. I had used up the full first roll I ordered.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

The one option I wish was offered was clear coating before the windows, doors etc. were attached as this would put an end to the gelcoat oxidizing over time and would make for a nicer finish when washed and waxed for a lot of years.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Sorry , I forgot to mention that we do have a solar panel . I had a 80 watt panel from our last trailer so I had them prewire our trailer and install our panel when we picked it up. It seemd silly to pay for another solar set up when I already had one. My two cents is that this is a absolute must have if you plan to dry camp at all. In keeping with Jims statement that lots of the comments will contradict each other, I personaly don't see the point of two dinette's but with that statement we almost never eat in our trailer and I appreciate that this issue is almost different with every one. To me a permanent bed is a must, as i get older a good nights sleep seems to more and more important.
By the way Jim I love those cabinet lights. where did you get them from?
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

As far as solar panels go, we've been out 6 nights on our dual batteries alone, no problems. We run out of gray water storage before we run out of juice.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #17

OK - We are getting to some GREAT ideas here - and some interesting Solar discussions.

Does anyone have a POV on weather the Solar panels offered by the Factory are the right size for normal extended used?

I really like the LED suggestions coming forward. Overhead cupboards pictures SOLD me.
The use of extra little shelves and rackes etc are great - If you have pictures to share that would be awesome.
Escape Artist - probably saved me a HUGE mistake by pointing out the value of the Screen Snaps being done at the factory rather that later...
Another free beer when we meet.

I'm hoping this trhread might provide long term value to many more new trailer owners too! PLUS many of you should be called out and complimented on your own unique ideas!
Dog as Navigator
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

With respect to the solar panels, it sounds like if you are boon docking for less than a week you will be ok if you have dual 6V batteries. We however have camped for two weeks on the Sunshine Coast, using the shower, charging laptops etc.,and thanks to the panels, had fully charged batteries the whole time. Our friend who was camping next to us without panels ran his battery dead (he had a Scamp, what can I say?). We use a flexible bucket to empty the grey water. We also use our trailer for spring skiing, and the furnace runs a lot. The panels keep the batteries charged no problem. It just feels so good to watch the battery monitor climb each morning, no matter what you are doing. I'd rather watch it go up every day than down!

Dave
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #19

I bought the strips from BulbAmerica, which I think is what Jon had used too. I bought THIS strip. I bought THESE switches on eBay. I soldering the stranded 18g leads to the light strips, and attaching with spade connectors to the switch, then friction fit the switches into an appropriately sized hole I drilled in the cabinet frame. For power I spiced in to existing 12V wires, usually in an adjoining surface light.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Somewhere in this forum I recall seeing someone who did his own custom cabinets and they were absolutely gorgeous. I can't find it now, but maybe somebody else could point it out. DonM might like to see that, and it would be a nice way to spend some extra money.