Install an air conditioner yourself - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Seef, it is loud. We turn it on only to cool off the inside of the trailer. For that, AC has no substitute. The insulation package and cooler night time temperatures do the rest.

Now, of course, I tell you this with one disclaimer: Have never overnighted in Oklahoma or Arizona when it is 90°F at 2100 hours.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Carl- yeah, in FLA or East Coast or Deep South in general the humidity more than the heat is the drag. When we lived in Alabama, we didn't have A/C. When we moved to Cocoa Beach we did and I can remember not being able to go to sleep in the summer until I could hear that compressor turn on.

It's more of a regional thing: more Canadians opt out of A/C it seems than do people in America- and it's a lifestyle thing: if you don't camp with hookups or want to drag along a generator then why get it when it can be installed later- unless you want to go into the whole digital thermostat conversation(which is the only A/C unit ETI sells now for $1,100).

We prefer the extra headroom as well(in a 21 w/6'5"), so in a 17B which is 6'2" it makes even more difference. When we sold our 17B it did take longer, but as the say in real estate- "it only takes one buyer".

I admit it is a fine option for many, and for us cost had nothing to do with it. My original response was to someone who primarily boondocks and is from CO. It feels like others are saying in a blanket statement for A/C that it is a mistake not to get it. I just disagree. Curious, because for just about anything else folks seem to say build it for your camping style. Why is this so different?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have always been a firm believer of having things installed in the original build. Doing it later usually involves extra work and expense and tearing things out that you don't want to tear out. And as for resale value, even though we plan to keep things for a long time, situations change. Also, it's not so much the heat but the humidity that makes things so uncomfortable here in the center and southern part of the US, so I will take the noise any day. And your neighbor probably won't hear it because his is making a lot of noise too. But I have to agree with Rossue, it is a regional thing. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have always been a firm believer of having things installed in the original build. Doing it later usually involves extra work and expense and tearing things out that you don't want to tear out. And as for resale value, even though we plan to keep things for a long time, situations change. Also, it's not so much the heat but the humidity that makes things so uncomfortable here in the center and southern part of the US, so I will take the noise any day. And your neighbor probably won't hear it because his is making a lot of noise too. But I have to agree with Rossue, it is a regional thing. Loren
Everything Cathy has said is right on . It is better to have then wishing you had . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both the refrigerator and the air conditioner as well as the stove and furnace have warranties, all of which can be extended beyond the normal period for a nominal fee. If it does not break within the first couple of years of use, you are probably good.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I admit it is a fine option for many, and for us cost had nothing to do with it. My original response was to someone who primarily boondocks and is from CO. It feels like others are saying in a blanket statement for A/C that it is a mistake not to get it. I just disagree. Curious, because for just about anything else folks seem to say build it for your camping style. Why is this so different?
To me, I guess it is different because of my approach to RVing. If I were Canadian (my maternal grandparents came from Quebec to Massachusetts), I would install A/C because I want to see it all and be able to go everywhere, IN COMFORT. Maybe I camp mainly close to home in a place like Banff or Whistler. But what happens when I want to take that occasional or once in a lifetime trip to the Grand Canyon, Key West, or Mexico. Or even the day there is a heat wave in August in BC. While A/C is a necessity for me (summer puts the Flaw in Florida!), I just find it shall I say confusing why anyone would shell out the funds to purchase as nice a trailer as the Escape is and then scrimp by eliminating A/C. On our recent 7 week trip to pick up our 5.0TA, after attending the rally in Osoyoos we meandered across the northern U.S. and reentered Canada at Grand Portage, visiting my wife's cousin in Parry Sound and Alf & Mary Anne in St. Thomas. Then headed south and stopped for the night in Louisville. It was the first time since our orientation at ETI the A/C was turned on and I was very happy (ecstatic may be a more appropriate word) that it worked. So to me, the difference when A/C is the issue at hand is the ability to go to more locations.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I just find it shall I say confusing why anyone would shell out the funds to purchase as nice a trailer as the Escape is and then scrimp by eliminating A/C.
I'm a little offended by the adamant view taken by some that not ordering an A/C is a big mistake or scrimping.

My Scamp came with a new in box, never opened, roof mount Polar Cub A/C. I'm not crazy about roof mount A/C's at the best of times. I've used several RV's with them and they've been noisy and annoying. I also don't like the extra height and drag. I ended up selling the A/C because I really didn't want it.

If, in several years I decide to spend a long time in the deep South or Mexico then maybe I'd change my mind. In the meantime I'm happy with my part-time option. Since I have Myron's excellent write-up I know that it wouldn't be a big deal to do. And if I did, the unit would be brand new, not several years old and exposed to the elements.

So lets remember we all have different views on what's a need or a want and keep the comments more related to factual elements.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
If memory serves me right and sometimes it doesn't, when we were in Texas looking at the Casita's three years ago, they offered the air conditioner as standard equipment and the furnace as optional. At ETI, the furnace was standard and the air conditioner optional, so I kind of had to chuckle over this. I just checked the Casita site and now both the air conditioner and furnace are optional. It's really where you are and what you want. No correct answer here, just a matter of opinion. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So lets remember we all have different views on what's a need or a want and keep the comments more related to factual elements.

Ron
So true. However, it may not be a bad idea to have it a/c ready in the event of a sale, if that is a realistic possibility. For me personally, I was not going to get one as I had only coastal camping in mind, then I figured, "oh well, just in case". On my first trip out, (other than bringing her home from Chilliwack), I went to the nearby Sierra "foothills" and the weather was 106 degrees. Needless to say, for me, that was the right decision.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both the refrigerator and the air conditioner as well as the stove and furnace have warranties, all of which can be extended beyond the normal period for a nominal fee. If it does not break within the first couple of years of use, you are probably good.
Probably, but not necessarily.

We're on our third refrigerator (yes, Dometic, but not a model used by Escape) in our motorhome, and it stopped cooling last week. This same unit has two roof air conditioners, and their blower wheels are cracking on a five-year-old RV; that would be a problem with any brand, but the manufacturer stopped making them soon after we bought ours and now no parts are available. We have an extended warranty on the whole RV, and it looks like they're going to be spending $4000 on these appliances for us this year!

No, this isn't an Escape, but these parts are all comparable, regardless of RV brand.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
AC ready- yes, and we did. We almost went with two Maxx fans but glad we didn't even do that.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifeys comment on wiping out the exit view with an air conditioner was twofold:

1. He's probably not married.
2. Doesn't that kill the cross ventilation when it's not running?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I just find it shall I say confusing why anyone would shell out the funds to purchase as nice a trailer as the Escape is and then scrimp by eliminating A/C.
I guess Carl, that would be me. I had to put the brakes on somewhere on the build sheet. Both the solar and A/C are financial delay items, but both are wired and ready.

I THOUGHT I wouldn't need A/C living in the Pacific NorthWET where I'll camp until I retire.... until this past month where it's the Flamin' Hot Pacific NorthDRY. My home doesn't have A/C either and if Ten Forward DID, I'd bring it home, plug it in and live in IT during this heat wave. But, this too shall pass...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Wifeys comment on wiping out the exit view with an air conditioner was twofold:

1. He's probably not married.
2. Doesn't that kill the cross ventilation when it's not running?
Quite the opposite. My wife hates breezes, especially on her head. My little hanging fan provides the perfect amount of breeze and it's adjusted so I get full breeze and she gets partial breeze. Placed by the window it provides better cooling than having another window open.

On our last 42 day trip the window a/c got two days use. The hanging fan, many more.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-05-2015 4-19-22 PM_0009_resize.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
On the flip side, the current ac unit is a heck of a lot more aerodynamic than some of the clunky boxes I have seen on SOB roof tops.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
until this past month where it's the Flamin' Hot Pacific NorthDRY. My home doesn't have A/C either and if Ten Forward DID, I'd bring it home, plug it in and live in IT during this heat wave. But, this too shall pass...
My condolences. My temporary trailer use A/C is doing a fine job of keeping my den cool during this heat wave.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
02-08-2015 12-06-16 PM_0001_resize.JPG  
Old 08-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #37

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Most will tell you to, as most get it. We didn't and still no regrets as camping in an RV park is a one-off, and don't get me started on the a-hole camp host at Finley Point SP at Flathead Lake who thought we didn't want to pay for electric(non-e were deleted by him) because we had CA plates and figured we voted for Obama, thus expected things for free No joke.

Seriously- the best advice IMO is build it for your use, not potential resale later. The upside for anyone later(for anyone who wants it) is that it will be new then with warranty.
Ross the camp host story is hilarious.

We doubt we will order AC as well since we rarely stay where the big units stay, too noisy, crowded and just a glorified parking lot. If we stick with this plan, won't miss the 100 pound on the roof nor additional drag.
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #38

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
AC ready- yes, and we did. We almost went with two Maxx fans but glad we didn't even do that.
Wouldn't two Maxx fans short circuit and defeat their purpose ?
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I guess Carl, that would be me. I had to put the brakes on somewhere on the build sheet. Both the solar and A/C are financial delay items, but both are wired and ready.

I THOUGHT I wouldn't need A/C living in the Pacific NorthWET where I'll camp until I retire.... until this past month where it's the Flamin' Hot Pacific NorthDRY. My home doesn't have A/C either and if Ten Forward DID, I'd bring it home, plug it in and live in IT during this heat wave. But, this too shall pass...
I hear you! I'm in Washington state after a trip to Alaska, and after 2 months going across the US, Canada & Alaska, the first time I used the AC was 2 days ago when I hit Washington.

As far as having AC, I rarely use it, finding the Maxx fan usually provides enough cooling, but as others have said, when you need it it can change a miserable camping experience to a tolerable one.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Seef, it is loud. We turn it on only to cool off the inside of the trailer. For that, AC has no substitute. The insulation package and cooler night time temperatures do the rest.

Now, of course, I tell you this with one disclaimer: Have never overnighted in Oklahoma or Arizona when it is 90°F at 2100 hours.
Thanks for that honest report. My friend has a A/C which is located in one of the benches. The unit has a bunch pf hoses which need to be routed through the RV which is a bit of a hassle, the upside is that this is unit is very quit. I makes a hissing noise but at a very low level. The neighbors will not even know you have an AC unit running.
When we decide we need to have an AC we will go that route.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote