installing a sink in the bathroom - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
flo

installing a sink in the bathroom

Hi we have been lucky and have aquired a 2006 17b ,love it but there is no wash basin in the bathroom !! was wondering how hard it would be to install ? Any ideas or has anyone done it ? we dont need the shower . Flo.
flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: installing a sink in the bathroom

Flo, congrats on getting your new to you Escape trailer.

Obviously, the biggest issue would be getting the plumbing in from outside the bathroom, both the drain out, and the water in. I would give Reace a call, he could likely enlighten you on what to do best.

It is interesting that what one person desires, the other does not want. One thing that my wife and I wish we never had, is a sink in the bathroom. We find it too small to be useful, and with only the two of us the kitchen sink is more then enough. We rarely use the shower, but are glad we have it for when we do need it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...The only reason for having one, I can Think...Thoap dish!!! Oh and it holds the taps for the shower. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

+1 on the Thoap dish...and its also handy for a spare roll of TP because someone in our household frequently uses the last sheet and doesn't replace the roll. I won't bust Deb in public for that character defect, but the internet isn't public, is it?

Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I have almost everything I need to install a sink in my 2006 17 footer, except the courage to start...

I plan on cutting an access hole in the aft bathroom wall, behind the toilet, to allow me to slip a sheet of plywood as reinforcement to that wall. I'll attach that sheet to the horizontal members that support the bottom of the cabinet above the cook top vent and the counter top. If you push on that wall now, you'll notice it moves a 1/4 inch or so; the reinforcement will take up that gap and stiffen the wall. I'll patch the wall with a pre-cured fiberglass sheet.

The cold and hot water lines of the sink will be intercepted with a T fitting and lines will be added that go under the counter top, above the furnace, and through the bathroom wall.

I have a piece of aluminum angle, about 2 inches on each leg and about 11 inches long that will be the support for a small faucet and hinges for the sink. One leg of the angle will be horizontal and pointing away from the wall, the other leg will point down the wall and provide for the attaching fasteners. The water lines will attach the faucet.

I bought a small stainless steel, rectangular sink on E-bay that will be attached to the same angle that supports the faucet. The sink is hinged so it folds up and over the angle and faucet when not in use and when traveling. Everything will be mounted so the folded sink is to my left and over my shoulder when seated. The hinges will have easily removed pins so I can take out the sink without any tools. I’ll be able to take out the sink when we take a shower.

The sink drain will be attached to a piece of flexible drain line that is normally used in a pop-top trailer to allow that sink to be folded up when the trailer is in transit. That drain line will have a simulated "P trap" by providing extra length, i.e. when the sink is down for use, the drain will have a U shaped bend to it. The drain line will go through the aft wall and attach to the drain vent line which is under the cabinet and next to the furnace.

I have a hook to hold the sink up when not in use and a small shelf under the angle that holds the faucet and sink hinge points will provide a rest to hold to hold the sink in when in use.

I have everything but the wall reinforcement pretty much done. I’ll post some pictures when I get a chance. I’m not sure when I’ll get the courage.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #6

Sounds complicated just to create another place to wash or shave. For us the kitchen sink is just fine.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Holy Holes Batman. That's a lot of work and a lot of risk of failure to reduce space in the shower/bath and to acquire what amounts to a soap dish. The bathroom sink is the one feature in my 17B I could easily do without.

baglo
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Holy Holes Batman. That's a lot of work and a lot of risk of failure to reduce space in the shower/bath and to acquire what amounts to a soap dish. The bathroom sink is the one feature in my 17B I could easily do without.

baglo
Glenn, you said what I was thinking much more eloquently then I ever could.

But, in all fairness, it is a large soap dish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Good luck Thane! Would be interested in seeing how it comes out...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Failure is not an option, but not doing it is an option too. It was fun to figure out and it's ready to go but I wouldn't mind letting someone else try first.

I also have a WWII bomber astrodome (like a small B-17 top turret) that I think would make a great skylight. Both of these ideas scare the wife...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #11

Thane, that turret would look pretty darn cool mounted up there. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Thane, that turret would look pretty darn cool mounted up there. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Hi: Jim... Maybe you could "Reciprocate" and cut a hole for Thanes Turret!!! Alf
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane
Failure is not an option, but not doing it is an option too. It was fun to figure out and it's ready to go but I wouldn't mind letting someone else try first.

I also have a WWII bomber astrodome (like a small B-17 top turret) that I think would make a great skylight. Both of these ideas scare the wife...
What a great idea! Also, you wouldn't need a GPS any longer...just climb up there with an sextant and a chronometer

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: Jim... Maybe you could "Reciprocate" and cut a hole for Thanes Turret!!! Alf
I do have experience.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #15

Hi,,Unless you really MUST have this sink, I wouldn't touch it..Way too much could go wrong and the pay off is questionable.
Moeniac in Comox
Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Bathroom sinks are a must in my book. Especially if you use the toilet. That is one feature (of course along with others) that was instrumental in my purchase and we all use it!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Bathroom sinks are a must in my book. Especially if you use the toilet. That is one feature (of course along with others) that was instrumental in my purchase and we all use it!
Hi: Sandra L... There's barely enough room for a bar of "Thoap" let alone "Y'all." Alf
Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I really like the little sink and use it for a quick handwash (although I do have the alcohol gel hanging in a holder on the wall) use it for teeth brushing--I'm short--it works!!
Doug can be out using the kitcchen sink and shaving with the mirror above the fridge--I can do my thing in the bathroom and not be in his way..
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #19

With the four of us, the kitchen sink gets used a lot. I set up the outdoor shower as a hand washing station for the kids with bio-degradable camping soap and suction cup towel and soap bottle holders. A little shovel work sets up a nice catch basin and some dirt applied every so often keeps it from getting too damp.

For morning and night use, the wife would really appreciate another sink.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I found the all-season mats from the Rav make a good surface when using the outside shower. Keeps dirt from splashing up.

baglo