Installing New Bubble Level Indicators - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Installing New Bubble Level Indicators

The original "bubble" level indicator on the passenger side near the door fell off so I ordered and just received a new pair.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXBAJBO...roduct_details

Instructions say to level the trailer and then attach new indicators with the bubble centered (i.e., "level").

With the belly band location of the escape trailer, this seems like overkill. I would assume that if the trailer is perfectly level, the belly band is then also parallel to the ground (or close enough). Why not dispense with the whole "level the trailer" routine and just install the new levelers immediately above and parallel to the belly band? This appears to be what ETI did at the factory.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
The original "bubble" level indicator on the passenger side near the door fell off so I ordered and just received a new pair.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXBAJBO...roduct_details

Instructions say to level the trailer and then attach new indicators with the bubble centered (i.e., "level").

With the belly band location of the escape trailer, this seems like overkill. I would assume that if the trailer is perfectly level, the belly band is then also parallel to the ground (or close enough). Why not dispense with the whole "level the trailer" routine and just install the new levelers immediately above and parallel to the belly band? This appears to be what ETI did at the factory.
Perfect example of ;'KISS'
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
truth is, being absolutely level is not needed, just being within a few degrees is plenty good enough.

i actually like my E21 (classic) with its nose a touch high, and the curbside a touch high, too, this way the shower drains better.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
trailer level and gauge

When our bubbles came off, we installed a new one (for front to rear leveling) on the trailer frame, behind the propane tanks, so we could see it while cranking the tongue jack.
For side to side leveling, when backing in, we stop short of our final position, and use a 28" level on the back bumper, to determine how many, and which side, to put blocks on, then back the wheels on them.
Our level is about 1/3 the width of the trailer, so I cut a piece of wood with 1/2" steps in it, as a gauge. For every step the level has to sit on to be level, that translates to the number of 2x8 (1-1/2" thick) blocks to put under the appropriate tire. It takes about 30 seconds to determine, and about 60 seconds to position the blocks, then back the trailer up; We're done!
Attached Thumbnails
trailer level and gauge.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just use a good hand held leveler i hold on belly band and by the propane tanks to check level when i park.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Team

I put one of those giant levelers on the front of my trailer where I can see it in the rear view mirror to aid in the left-ride balance using the Andersen curved leveler wedges.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had two additional levels installed by ETI. Had them placed at the front and driver side so I don't have to walk to the back or around to the passenger side to check level when I'm on my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Levels.jpg  
Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
When our bubbles came off, we installed a new one (for front to rear leveling) on the trailer frame, behind the propane tanks, so we could see it while cranking the tongue jack.
For side to side leveling, when backing in, we stop short of our final position, and use a 28" level on the back bumper, to determine how many, and which side, to put blocks on, then back the wheels on them.
Our level is about 1/3 the width of the trailer, so I cut a piece of wood with 1/2" steps in it, as a gauge. For every step the level has to sit on to be level, that translates to the number of 2x8 (1-1/2" thick) blocks to put under the appropriate tire. It takes about 30 seconds to determine, and about 60 seconds to position the blocks, then back the trailer up; We're done!

I really like this idea. I’m always guessing how many leveling blocks to put under my tires. Thanks.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I put one of those giant levelers on the front of my trailer where I can see it in the rear view mirror to aid in the left-ride balance using the Andersen curved leveler wedges.
Love this idea, I'm gonna do it. I've always used a 2 ft. level on the floor of my trailers, but that requires help or walking back and forth. BTW, when doing that it was apparent that the factory installed levels were not very accurate, so will probable remove those anyway.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Old 05-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I’m always guessing how many leveling blocks to put under my tires.
While I haven't used this on my trailer since I have Camco Curved Levelers, I have used the Truma app to level my Sprinter van.

You set up the wheelbase and the width, set your phone on the floor and it shows how many inches (blocks) you need to be level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truma.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	55385

It also has a trailer mode.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
While I haven't used this on my trailer since I have Camco Curved Levelers, I have used the Truma app to level my Sprinter van.

You set up the wheelbase and the width, set your phone on the floor and it shows how many inches (blocks) you need to be level.

Attachment 55385

It also has a trailer mode.

Cool! I will try it..
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
And/or, check out LevelMatePRO. It's a bit pricy, but it works super well and leveling couldn't be easier.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What's the consensus?

Is the belly band a reasonable reference point for "level"? How about the trailer floor?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Is the belly band a reasonable reference point for "level"? How about the trailer floor?
i used a 6" level and found the floor has high and low spots, so depending on where you read, you can get all sorts of different readings. I usually use the counter around the kitchen sink as the reference. but again, being precisely level is not that big of a deal, as long as the shower and kitchen sink drain, you're good.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
These stick on levels have a graduated scale on them that corresponds to inches to level.
The instructions tell you how to add the readings from both levels to get a corner level number. Pretty easy to use after a bit of use

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Levels/Hopkins/HM08526.html
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I use the belly band to level side to side using my rear view mirror. It takes a couple of stops each trip before I can match the actual level, but after that it works well.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #18

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
level?

I back it all up with the door swings by itself.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #19
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
LevelMatePro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
And/or, check out LevelMatePRO. It's a bit pricy, but it works super well and leveling couldn't be easier.
Like Lee & Nancy, we also use the LevelMatePro. One very nice benefit is that when we back into sites, we often find there are a few spots on that campsite where it is exactly level, and no blocks are needed at all. The LevelMatePro makes finding those spots easy. If the spot is not level, it tells you exactly on the phone app how many inches on side needs to be raised - making it easy to figure out what combination of blocks and/or Anderson levelers are best.

https://www.amazon.com/LogicBlue-Tec...24&sr=8-2&th=1

- Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My levelmate pro arrives tomorrow, looking forward to the watch app so I can not have to look at the phone .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote