Inverter Remote Control - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2024, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Inverter Remote Control

Our 2020 21C is factory equipped with the GP-PWM 30-UL solar charge controller with an added button push capability to enable or disable the GP inverter. It's a nice feature to have if one wants to stay simple and doesn't want to install and wire in a transfer switch controlled system which I don't want to do.

But I am also wanting to install the Victron 100 volt 30 amp MPPT controller which does NOT have this convenient inverter remote controlling feature. So I'm considering decommissioning the GP PWM as a solar controller and retaining it solely for its remote inverter control feature, disconnecting it from the solar array but keeping it connected to the battery. I'm making the assumption here that the GP-PWM still connected to the battery but disconnected from the solar array will not interfere with the Victron MPPT solar charging function.

I invite anyone caring to comment on this plan one way or the other about it to please feel free to weigh in on this idea. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy and it won't work and why, or that it will work. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or subtle.

Thanks,

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
.... I'm making the assumption here that the GP-PWM still connected to the battery but disconnected from the solar array will not interfere with the Victron MPPT solar charging function. ....
It's not uncommon to have more than one solar controller connected to a battery bank, with not all of them necessarily 'active' at any given time (e.g. a controller for a 'permanent' PV array with a different / separate controller for a 'portable' PV array).

IMO (just one opinion) that suggests there should not be a problem with your proposal in that regard.

I would assume that the controller used for inverter-switching only will present some continuous 'idle load' on the battery, which may or may not be significant enough for concern.

Were I in your shoes, I'd investigate whether the 'switching circuit' between that controller and the inverter lends to simply inserting a 'passive' switch for the inverter control function in lieu of retaining the entire 'switching controller' (?).
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Thank you Allen for commenting. I agree with you on that. I did read somewhere that mixing PWM with MPPT controllers is not a good idea, but here since I am proposing to disable the PWM as a controller, it’ will no longer a controller and not recognized as one by the MPPT unit.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,990
John - looking at the GWP-PWM-30-UL User Manual section relating to the inverter remote control function discussed on page 19 (download here https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...-PWM-30-UL.pdf) leads me to the User Manual for the GP inverters compatible with that function (download here https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...58_MAN_ISW.pdf)

Looking at page 34 of that inverter manual, where the inverter remote function is discussed, it appears that a simple switch can be used for the inverter remote on/off, which would allow you to have the function you seek without the need for retaining the PWM controller at all.

That might be an overall simpler remote inverter switching solution, allow you to eliminate the bulk of the no longer used PWM controller, and avoid any idle-load it presents to the battery.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2023 E19
Posts: 323
Does the old GP PWM controller even need to stay connected to the battery for the inverter remote feature to continue functioning?

Alternatively, I believe Go-Power has a stand-alone remote switch available as well.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:18 PM   #6
SRS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 267
Alan is correct and a simple push button on/ff switch can be installed. I have the lithium package with victron MPPT controller and the GoPower inverter. EIT installed a switch that's almost identical to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-H...s%2C125&sr=8-1
The switch is connected to the inverter with telco jacks and cable and probably the same for your current panel. Or, just disconnect the PWM controller from the panels. Good Luck.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
John - looking at the GWP-PWM-30-UL User Manual section relating to the inverter remote control function discussed on page 19 (download here https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...-PWM-30-UL.pdf) leads me to the User Manual for the GP inverters compatible with that function (download here https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...58_MAN_ISW.pdf)

Looking at page 34 of that inverter manual, where the inverter remote function is discussed, it appears that a simple switch can be used for the inverter remote on/off, which would allow you to have the function you seek without the need for retaining the PWM controller at all.

That might be an overall simpler remote inverter switching solution, allow you to eliminate the bulk of the no longer used PWM controller, and avoid any idle-load it presents to the battery.


Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Thanks Allen The inverter has a remote enable switch which enables the PWM to control it via a a hard wire pigtail. My inverter is under the curbside rear bench so to access that switch I need to open the bench or else leave a hole in the wall to reach through. On the other hand the PWM display and control buttons are accessible without opening up the bench. With the PWM I can switch the inverter to idle or to off. I like to leave the inverter off till I want to use it, and only then do I switch it to idle. From there the inverter produces only enough AC to satisfy AC required. Pretty nice setup and marriage between the two GoPower units. Yes, if the inverter was readily accessible the PWM becomes dead weight with an MPPT unit installed.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Alan is correct and a simple push button on/ff switch can be installed. I have the lithium package with victron MPPT controller and the GoPower inverter. EIT installed a switch that's almost identical to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-H...s%2C125&sr=8-1
The switch is connected to the inverter with telco jacks and cable and probably the same for your current panel. Or, just disconnect the PWM controller from the panels. Good Luck.
Thanks SRS for the switch suggestion. That looks clean and simple.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Thanks SRS for the switch suggestion. That looks clean and simple.
John
Bingo!
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 5,386
While more expensive than wiring a push button switch to a telcom cable, GoPower makes a remote with a status indicator LED - GP SW Remote.

I put mine over the refrigerator (in a 21C) so I don't need to stand on my head to switch the inverter off & on.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Santa Barbara County, California
Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C & 2007 Casita SD, 2012 Chev Express Van 3500
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While more expensive than wiring a push button switch to a telcom cable, GoPower makes a remote with a status indicator LED - GP SW Remote.

I put mine over the refrigerator (in a 21C) so I don't need to stand on my head to switch the inverter off & on.
I did the same as Jon suggested, They make 2 switches, make sure you get the switch that says it's for the pure sine wave inverter if that's the inverter you have.
rcsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:26 PM   #12
SRS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While more expensive than wiring a push button switch to a telcom cable, GoPower makes a remote with a status indicator LED - GP SW Remote.

I put mine over the refrigerator (in a 21C) so I don't need to stand on my head to switch the inverter off & on.
The one ETI installed in mine is the GP-SWR-A for the 1500 watt pure sign wave inverter. The wiring looks to be telephone cable with a telco jack at each end.

Over the refrigerator would have been nice. ETI installed it at the back of the rear PS bench which is impossible to get to when the table is stowed and for us that's most of the time. My first mod was to move it to the front of the bench. Much more convenient.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Thank you Jon for the switch and location. Suggestions. Yes location gets to be important as the years go by. They did leave me enough telco cable to relocate it a long distance.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Venice, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Our 2020 21C is factory equipped with the GP-PWM 30-UL solar charge controller with an added button push capability to enable or disable the GP inverter. It's a nice feature to have if one wants to stay simple and doesn't want to install and wire in a transfer switch controlled system which I don't want to do.

But I am also wanting to install the Victron 100 volt 30 amp MPPT controller which does NOT have this convenient inverter remote controlling feature. So I'm considering decommissioning the GP PWM as a solar controller and retaining it solely for its remote inverter control feature, disconnecting it from the solar array but keeping it connected to the battery. I'm making the assumption here that the GP-PWM still connected to the battery but disconnected from the solar array will not interfere with the Victron MPPT solar charging function.

I invite anyone caring to comment on this plan one way or the other about it to please feel free to weigh in on this idea. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy and it won't work and why, or that it will work. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or subtle.

Thanks,

John
Unless, you are adding more panels, you're really not going to gain much extra charging going to MPPT. Yes, MPPT chargers are more efficient. But, the GoPower Solar Panels are well matched voltage wise for use with the PWM controller. Don't expect miracles by switching to an MPPT controller. I looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the cost. Also, GoPower now offers an MPPT controller. I don't know if the GoPower MPPT controller has the same inverter remote control or not.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Unless, you are adding more panels, you're really not going to gain much extra charging going to MPPT. Yes, MPPT chargers are more efficient. But, the GoPower Solar Panels are well matched voltage wise for use with the PWM controller. Don't expect miracles by switching to an MPPT controller. I looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the cost. Also, GoPower now offers an MPPT controller. I don't know if the GoPower MPPT controller has the same inverter remote control or not.
Thank you TTMartin for weighing in. Yes I have just added a 2nd roof panel. This one is a Renogy 200 watt panel augmenting the factory installed GoPower 190 watt panel and there is room for more on our roof. It's time to go with an MPPT controller. You might say I'm in a building block mode, ultimately equipping for the day our absorption fridge calls it quits and we need to go to a DC compressor fridge. I want to get pretty much set up to park and camp with a DC compressor fridge and don't want to be installing panels and controllers or setting up portable panel five years from now when I'm 80.

Thanks for informing me about the GoPower MPPT controller. It's one unit I checked into and found it to be lacking the inverter control. At this point I'll probably go with the Victron and eventually a simple GoPower remote switch that has been mentioned by others on this thread.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Venice, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Yes I have just added a 2nd roof panel. This one is a Renogy 200 watt panel augmenting the factory installed GoPower 190 watt panel and there is room for more on our roof. It's time to go with an MPPT controller. You might say I'm in a building block mode, ultimately equipping for the day our absorption fridge calls it quits and we need to go to a DC compressor fridge. I want to get pretty much set up to park and camp with a DC compressor fridge and don't want to be installing panels and controllers or setting up portable panel five years from now when I'm 80.

Thanks for informing me about the GoPower MPPT controller. It's one unit I checked into and found it to be lacking the inverter control. At this point I'll probably go with the Victron and eventually a simple GoPower remote switch that has been mentioned by others on this thread.

John
Yes, when you start mixing panels, MPPT is definitely the way to go.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:54 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Posts: 1,414
Simple enough to replace the pww control panel with a plate and a switch I suspect. Though the parasitic draw of the existing controller might not be significant. The progressive dynamics inverter ships with a remote that’s similar I expect with an rj11 cord. Victron mppt’s are an excellent choice.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:49 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
You might say I'm in a building block mode, ultimately equipping for the day our absorption fridge calls it quits and we need to go to a DC compressor fridge.
John
Are absorption fridges no longer available? Is that why ppl seem to be going with DC compressor fridges now?

We are completely content with the performance and functioning of our absorption fridge and, if possible, would replace it with a similar one if it dies. I find it handy that it uses propane and I don't need to mess with all the lithium upgrades.
__________________
Lyle
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JohnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: North Newton, Kansas
Trailer: 2020 E21C
Posts: 210
Absorption fridges work ok till they don’t. Ours still does but my fingers are crossed.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:40 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Our 2020 21C is factory equipped with the GP-PWM 30-UL solar charge controller with an added button push capability to enable or disable the GP inverter. It's a nice feature to have if one wants to stay simple and doesn't want to install and wire in a transfer switch controlled system which I don't want to do.

But I am also wanting to install the Victron 100 volt 30 amp MPPT controller which does NOT have this convenient inverter remote controlling feature. So I'm considering decommissioning the GP PWM as a solar controller and retaining it solely for its remote inverter control feature, disconnecting it from the solar array but keeping it connected to the battery. I'm making the assumption here that the GP-PWM still connected to the battery but disconnected from the solar array will not interfere with the Victron MPPT solar charging function.

I invite anyone caring to comment on this plan one way or the other about it to please feel free to weigh in on this idea. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy and it won't work and why, or that it will work. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or subtle.

Thanks,
John

I removed the GoPower controller from my 2019 E19 and installed a Victron 100 volt as you are considering. I removed the GoPower controller and installed the single switch to turn on the inverter and it works great. To cover up the hole in my bench where the GoPower unit was installed, I just installed a metal vent. Get the right GoPower remote inverter switch, mine is the GP-SWR-A.

One other thing to consider when your changing controllers, is to add a solar disconnect switch. I did that and installed under the bench seats next to all the other electrical hardware.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.