Is paneling glued to cabinet/wall framing? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question Is paneling glued to cabinet/wall framing?

Just a general question ... is the (Oak / Maple / Contemporary) paneling fastened to the cabinet/seating/wall framing with any sort of glue or adhesive? Or, does ETI rely only on mechanical fasteners (pins / brads / staples / screws)?

Please note I don't ask from any sort of concern, I've never read of any quality / longevity issues relating to the paneling fastening here; whatever they do seems to be working just fine. My question goes to ability to selectively remove / replace paneling in the process of DIY mods.

I do realize that certain furring / cleats / fastening strips are 'bonded' to the shell in some fashion - that's not what I'm asking about.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Tight Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just a general question ... is the (Oak / Maple / Contemporary) paneling fastened to the cabinet/seating/wall framing with any sort of glue or adhesive? Or, does ETI rely only on mechanical fasteners (pins / brads / staples / screws)?

Please note I don't ask from any sort of concern, I've never read of any quality / longevity issues relating to the paneling fastening here; whatever they do seems to be working just fine. My question goes to ability to selectively remove / replace paneling in the process of DIY mods.

I do realize that certain furring / cleats / fastening strips are 'bonded' to the shell in some fashion - that's not what I'm asking about.

Thanks In Advance
Recently I removed the fridge and rebuilt the inside cabinet area with insulation (both blue board and reflectix).
The panelling that I removed was both glued (looked like liquid nails), and stapled (light gauge narrow crown). Using a grinder I modified an old chisel to match the narrow staple. I then hammered it under the staple and levered them out. There were plenty of fasteners to remove.

Because the cabinet work on the inside was and is hidden this was an OK way to to do the work.

All of the original factory work was very tight and well fastened.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks, sleepy, asked and answered

At least I know to expect the possibility (probability) of adhesive bonding of paneling (in addition to mechanical fasteners), I'll just have to see how that manifests in the particular places of interest to me. That helps, I appreciate your reply!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
In 2018 I was able to remove the panels around the dinette benches and reuse them. Lots of staples and a thin line of glue. It was solid enough but I used more glue on the rebuild. Someone will not be able to get the panels off I glued on without destroying them.

I just went down and found a board I remove from inside a corner cabinet. There were two wood supports on the back of it and 1 came off at time of panel removal. You can see to the right a thin strip of glue has removed some of the plywood. (Black arrow)

I just now removed the remaining wood support has which has 4 staples and no glue. It just twisted off and there is no sign of glue. Just to be clear this is not a structural part of the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
E928DC5F-ECAB-4B8E-80FB-94E9AFC017B1.jpg   69512458-D76E-44E4-974B-F58AA8E9EAC9.jpg   42F95E9C-B55A-4664-B900-0E2CB5CB726B.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

I will add that if you thinking of doing any wood modifications that ordering a sheet or part of a sheet with your new trailer could be handy.

I also asked for a few fiberglass window cut outs which they gave me free of charge.

The extra stock fabric we ordered to make our U shape dinette, shelfs, head and foot boards has been well worth the money as well.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

Thank You for ^that^ effort, pics, and added information!

I'll just have to take the usual steps to carefully conduct R&R procedures expecting the possibility of various more or less 'rigorous' adhesives as I go. No worries, it's nice to have these 'heads-ups' about what might be encountered, I do appreciate the responses very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I will add that if you thinking of doing any wood modifications that ordering a sheet or part of a sheet with your new trailer could be handy.

I also asked for a few fiberglass window cut outs which they gave me free of charge.

The extra stock fabric we ordered to make our U shape dinette, shelfs, head and foot boards has been well worth the money as well.
Yepper, multiple sheets of paneling and strips of the matching 'outside corner', 'flat trim', and 'trim / patch-tape' are already on the build sheet for "Supply Only" when the trailer is picked up.

I'd not thought of the window cut-outs but that's a brilliant idea, Thank You for that, now added to the list for my next discussion with ETI

(just gotta LOVE the benefit of the friendly and helpful folks on this forum )
Old 01-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:

I never thought about the FG window cutouts. I will definitely ask for them. I always have projects for these kind of thigs.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:

I’m curious what you use the “window cut outs” for?

R.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post

R.
Under the battery, on shelving that will store can goods, areas where wet stuff is stored, etc. When you think about, you could come up with more ideas.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post

R.
You would have to ask...

I thought I would incorporate rock guards when I built my relocated dual battery base. What can I say...pictures tell the story. It might work, but looked ugly. Within an hour or two the extra supports were cut off and everything was back to normal.

Very early I also thought I might make one into an outside table top but used an IKEA shelf instead.

I have actually used a piece in an upcoming project I will post but that came from one of the hatches I cut out.

If someone was going to make shelves in the closet this would work well and be very smooth on clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
3D263879-3F2B-48C9-A47C-A14AA6FB5217.jpg   BCFF5D30-D163-4C6C-BFC3-4DBEC1B5B056.jpg   D423565D-1354-482F-BCFE-B67608E428A3.jpg