Is the Escape 19' tough enough? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 12:37 AM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Inspiring post
Meandering Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
WxguyDon’t know if you have made your decision but for off the road adventures, I’d go with the single axle. We had a Casita that we modified with a high lift axle, 3” lift blocks and 15” tires. We took it anywhere the TV would go. Now that we have an Escape19 2.0, it’s definitely less maneuverable, heavier and lower to the ground. We are much more circumspect about where we go with it.
Don
Old 05-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While off road maybe easier with a single axle, towing on paved roads is where the tandem axle is better. Less sway and tongue weight issues with the tandem axle set up and the trailer pulls straight if set up properly. With the single axle, every time you are passed by a semi, you can feel the draw/pull over, with the tandem it does not impact. In addition you have a margin of safety if you get a flat.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the single axle, every time you are passed by a semi, you can feel the draw/pull over, with the tandem it does not impact. In addition you have a margin of safety if you get a flat.
It is sad that people mess up their trailers so badly that this is a problem. Our single-axle trailer had never had issues with wind effects from passing trucks.

As discussed many times in this forum, flat tires are not really a problem: almost no one has any difficulty controlling a single-axle trailer even if it does get a flat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:31 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was going to respond earlier, but I'm getting tired.
My single axle trailer has no issues with passing semis or with passing semis. I've never had a flat and those who reported that they have had a flat, said they had no issues controlling the trailer and pulling over.

It's also reported that those with tandem axle trailers may be unaware that they have a flat and that the flat tire shreds itself, beating the wheel well apart. Don't know if that's true.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our 17ft Casita SD had the factory high lift axle (3”” ) with 15” load rated D tires
Never had an issue with clearance or sway - trailer was extremely stable even in high winds or in truck traffic
Our Escape has dual axles and it seems to be easier on trailer contents than our single axle Casita . Tires on both trailers were inflated to 62 to 65 PSI
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I think everyone can have a different definition of 'offroad'.
Paved roads - Escape 19 - no problem
Gravel roads - Escape 19 - no problem, with rock protection
Forest service roads - Escape 19 - no problem with rock protection and high lift kit
Rock crawling - Escape 19 or any Escape - Nope don't do it

The advantage I've found to dual axles on roads with severe potholes (paved, gravel, forest service) is that one axle will support the trailer as the other wheel passes over the pothole. This generally leads to less severe rocking of the trailer when navigating down poor surface roads. I prefer a dual axle for this reason. While less maneuverable than a single axle on hard surfaces, when you are on gravel roads or other soft surfaces there is much less of a difference as the tires can slip sideways.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Forest service roads - Escape 19 - no problem with rock protection and high lift kit

The advantage I've found to dual axles on roads with severe potholes (paved, gravel, forest service) is that one axle will support the trailer as the other wheel passes over the pothole. This generally leads to less severe rocking of the trailer when navigating down poor surface roads. I prefer a dual axle for this reason. While less maneuverable than a single axle on hard surfaces, when you are on gravel roads or other soft surfaces there is much less of a difference as the tires can slip sideways.
I agree with everything, except the need for a lifted axle. I have been on a bunch of US Forest Service roads without the lift with no problem though did take a bit of care, and on many roads much, much worse, again with no problems much due to having to go quite slow and watch for big rocks or holes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree with everything, except the need for a lifted axle. I have been on a bunch of US Forest Service roads without the lift with no problem though did take a bit of care, and on many roads much, much worse, again with no problems much due to having to go quite slow and watch for big rocks or holes.
On the Escape 19 without high lift the fresh water tank hangs below axle, meaning it would be the first thing to contact anything sticking up. With the high lift it raises the fresh water tank above the bottom of the axle. The axle would be the first thing to contact an obstruction. I feel the axle while not immune from damage is more durable than the fresh water tank. Thus, my recommendation of the high lift kit for forest service roads.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
OTOH, I'd rather replace a fresh water tank than an axle......
Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Even with our modified Casita setup, we had zero sway issues no matter what we passed or what passed us. Nary a wiggle, ever. Some of the stability could have been attributed to the WDH. And definitely the heavy tongue weight on the 17 footer.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
I have driven the road to Chaco in a truck. I have a 5.0TA ordered. Using the road to Chaco as a gauge, would you say the 5.0 would be able to handle it?
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #53

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleta View Post
Using the road to Chaco as a gauge, would you say the 5.0 would be able to handle it?
We pulled our 2015 21 (no high lift) in there last October. Conditions were dry and the road had lots of both rutting and washboarding, so lots of vibration and rocking around for both truck and trailer. But certainly nothing impassible or dangerous. The ruts were annoying but not so deep as to cause clearance concerns. We had some stuff on the floor when we got there but we've had that in many other places too.

The key is to drive slowly and plan accordingly. Google maps says 52 minutes from Highway 550 to Chaco. I'd say plan for nearly double that. We exited by the road to the South -- longer but maybe slightly better; about the same in terms of time.

There were other Escapes there, including a 5.0. Certainly you can do it if you take it easy. Because of its isolation, and the lack of nearby alternatives, that was the only place we had a reservation in a 34-day trip. I recommend one if you go.

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom protection, clearance, lift package