Jack TV Antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Jack TV Antenna

We are doing our Build Sheet for the 5.0TA so we have lots of questions and need advise. What has been your experience with the Jack TV Antenna for those who have it? Is the reception good, any technical problems, would you get it again?
Thanks
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Hi phalaney,

The jack antenna does a pretty good job of capturing over the air signals. The problem is in the lack of OTA signals. We can usually find a local channel for news or sit-com re-runs, and that works for some light evening entertainment. The reception is good!
We both could live without it. When boondocking, TV is not a priority. When we stay at an RV park, the cable works great and the channel availability is way better.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
We are doing our Build Sheet for the 5.0TA so we have lots of questions and need advise. What has been your experience with the Jack TV Antenna for those who have it? Is the reception good, any technical problems, would you get it again?
Thanks
Hi: phalaney... We have had both styles of antenna on our Escapes. When there are signals available the King Jack receives on both the front and back of the "<->" flying arrow. While in Ocala Nat. forest Salt Spring CG. we got 30 something signals with the arrow pointing at Ocala and getting most on the back from Orlando. Far superior performance to the Winegard saucer. The digi signals can be interrupted by aircraft take offs and landings though. Our Toshiba TV has a built in DVD player for times when the air traffic is heavy!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
20160201_130431.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
There is a thread on the Casita Forum site about problems with the Jack antenna , not with the reception so much as mechanical failures with the unit. LHC which does custom work on Casita's stopped installing the Jack antenna because internal components were breaking and you need to remove the whole antenna to repair the broken parts. I do not pretend to be an expert on Jack antennas but there are reported issues with the Jack antenna beyond reception.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
We have liked the King Jack on previous trips. We're two weeks into our current trip and hooked the TV up on the third night to find out the King Jack isn't working. Called their service tech and he helped trouble shoot until I needed to open up the roof unit. Cannot access it until we return home. Apparently it is burned out in the roof unit. It is still under warranty but service is difficult while traveling. We also have the DVD player to watch.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We can't keep ours pointed forward when towing. There are little push buttons on either side of the ceiling mounted knob that are supposed to lock it in whatever position you set it. We point it forward, but inevitably it's turned sideways when we arrive at our destination because it doesn't lock positively into place. The little rubber caps on the ends of the metal rods on the antenna itself flew off a long time ago, so the rods are now open on the ends.

The reception is excellent, and the antenna works, but I'm not impressed at all with how it's built.

One other minor irritant is how Escape installed it. The coaxial cable doesn't enter the trailer through the base of the unit, but is routed along the roof of the trailer and enters through one of the roof vents. That leaves about a foot and a half of black cable running on the roof. I suppose it's because if they had it routed through the base into the trailer, it would have to run along the ceiling under the vinyl, and would leave a print. It would also be harder to replace the cable if needed. I don't know how else they'd route it, but it looks ugly. Fortunately, you don't see it unless you're washing/waxing the roof.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have the Wineguard on trailer for almost 4 years now , no problems . Have Wineguards at home too. Directional antenna's are always best .Wineguard has been around for a long time . They have newer products now too. If at campground will hook to cable anyway . We would probably still always go with the Wineguards . Would add the Wineguards batwing antenna was a great antenna just kind of big for the trailer and it was directional. I think having a mounting pole and attaching antenna is ideal . Put away if not needed .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not that I've used it much, but it does the job when I did. The only issue I have with it on my 5.0TA is that it's the highest point of the trailer. As I use a cover on the trailer it's a bit of a bear to reach and cover the antenna. SOme day a branch is going to take care of it sticking up for me.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There is a thread on the Casita Forum site about problems with the Jack antenna , not with the reception so much as mechanical failures with the unit. LHC which does custom work on Casita's stopped installing the Jack antenna because internal components were breaking and you need to remove the whole antenna to repair the broken parts. I do not pretend to be an expert on Jack antennas but there are reported issues with the Jack antenna beyond reception.
Thanks Steve,
We have had work done by Larry at Little House Customs on our Casita and Scamp and trust him implicitly. He suggests not getting this anttena and I will go with his advice. Thanks for pointing it out!
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Thanks Steve,
We have had work done by Larry at Little House Customs on our Casita and Scamp and trust him implicitly. He suggests not getting this anttena and I will go with his advice. Thanks for pointing it out!
Hi: phalaney... You must be aware that any questions about products and performance on this forum will elicit many differing responses. I won't give up my King Jack TV Antenna.
Those folks that can pick fly chit out of black pepper flakes with boxing gloves on could use a coat hanger for all I care. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have been very happy with the King Jack but after reading here I'm a little confused. I guess some can have great results with a given product while for others, it is a complete lemon. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I wouldn't say ours is a lemon, Loren. It does work well. We do have a problem with the quality though. It won't stay facing forward when we tow. That's because the locking knob is of (in my opinion) poor design.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our King Jack works really well, but I can see someone not being careful when rotating it and trying to force it beyond the stops breaking the internal parts. It rotates about 270degrees right and left and if forced beyond that it most likely will break.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

One other minor irritant is how Escape installed it. The coaxial cable doesn't enter the trailer through the base of the unit, but is routed along the roof of the trailer and enters through one of the roof vents. That leaves about a foot and a half of black cable running on the roof. I suppose it's because if they had it routed through the base into the trailer, it would have to run along the ceiling under the vinyl, and would leave a print. It would also be harder to replace the cable if needed. I don't know how else they'd route it, but it looks ugly. Fortunately, you don't see it unless you're washing/waxing the roof.

Thats why we did not get it but I hear they have changed that and now run it under the roof somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Those folks that can pick fly chit out of black pepper flakes with boxing gloves on could use a coat hanger for all I care. Alf
LOL, Alf tell us what you really think.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We can't keep ours pointed forward when towing. There are little push buttons on either side of the ceiling mounted knob that are supposed to lock it in whatever position you set it. We point it forward, but inevitably it's turned sideways when we arrive at our destination because it doesn't lock positively into place. The little rubber caps on the ends of the metal rods on the antenna itself flew off a long time ago, so the rods are now open on the ends.

The reception is excellent, and the antenna works, but I'm not impressed at all with how it's built.

Robert I think they mounted it that way because they changed the location for antenna to front . Our Winquard is installed with coax in center and it is hidden attached ,in cabinet over the bed . It is at the rear of trailer . But it might shade a future solar install where it's at .
Nothing showing outside . For how much it is used I wish we just installed on a pole like Ron , Myron etc, when needed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Robert I think they mounted it that way because they changed the location for antenna to front . Our Winquard is installed with coax in center and it is hidden attached ,in cabinet over the bed . It is at the rear of trailer . But it might shade a future solar install where it's at .
Nothing showing outside . For how much it is used I wish we just installed on a pole like Ron , Myron etc, when needed . Pat
I agree Pat. If doing it again I wouldn't get an antenna or put in a TV, we pretty much stream whatever or use the laptops. We rarely end up watching much of anything when we're out in the trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote